Does ayone gains the weight back whenever they stop counting?

After using myfitnesspal and losing 30lbs ..i find i got used to eat smaller portions and my appetite decreased where sometimes i would struggle to eat enough to reach my calorie goal. Then i stop counting and a year later I put back 15 lbs back on..how does it happen so easily?

Now i'm back to counting again and i think i will keep tracking maintenance

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Tanie98 wrote: »
    After using myfitnesspal and losing 30lbs ..i find i got used to eat smaller portions and my appetite decreased where sometimes i would struggle to eat enough to reach my calorie goal. Then i stop counting and a year later I put back 15 lbs back on..how does it happen so easily?

Now i'm back to counting again and i think i will keep tracking maintenance

The habits that led to the weight gain still exist and they may be much deeper grooves than the new ones used to lose it. I am not sure how long I will have to count calories in maintenance but I suspect it will be several years if not forever or else my calories will likely creep back up.

Not everyone has to be vigilant. Some, maybe even most, of us do. Remember that only about 5 percent of anyone who gets the weight off actually keeps it off for any length of time.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    I hear you and ditto here. A 35 lb loss, then slowly gained 15 back in 3 years. Loss and maintenance are definitely tied to daily tracking and weighing for me personally. Plus, I kept moving the "maintenance range" goalpost as I gained - and that does not work. I need to make daily tracking a part of my life. Currently, I'm deliberately losing very slowly to practice maintenance if that makes sense. Stay strong.
  • manny1991
    manny1991 Posts: 204 Member
    I would say if I'm not actively losing I'm gaining. Last go round was 2017. I lost 70 lbs - gained back 100. And here I am again (second - tenth verse same as the first).

I am in the same boat :-( 5 years ago I managed to lose 60lbs, stopped tracking my calories for various reasons and have since gained 90+ back. Trying again, hopefully I can make it last this time.
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    I don't think I'll ever stop counting. I have to eat less than 1400 or I start gaining again, so it's important that I keep track. It's just part of my new lifestyle to maintain.... logging every day.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Yes... I have to eat a smaller amount than I was eating before, and I don't think I have learned to do that yet without counting. It keeps me on track and accountable. If I'm not counting, I will let myself slip.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Yup - I'm definitely in the same boat here. I lost 80lb with MFP six years ago. I fell off the wagon 20lb from original goal, and although I didn't start gaining immediately, the weight eventually started to creep up. I did keep sticking my head in, but it didn't stick until the beginning of this year, once I'd put back on half of what I'd lost. I've got back to my new goal weight (160lb) and am tracking for the rest of the year. I'm going to be tracking for a long time yet (maybe forever), but I want to reassess in the new year as to whether I lose any more or I stay in maintenance.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Focus and consistency. There's no such thing as the Finish Line. If this weight loss battle has been with you for quite some time it's not going away but we can learn to manage ourselves with food. We can moderate ourselves with food. Measure and track your data points. Doesn't take much time but the long term benefits are so worth it.

• gracegettingittogether
    gracegettingittogether Posts: 176 Member
    edited October 2020
    Yes. I lost 35 lbs here while using MFP, stopped counting and promptly gained it all back plus more. I’ll be tracking for life. I also last time was constantly in too large a deficit, so I was always so hungry. When life got stressful, I couldn’t deal with the constant hunger on top of everything else, so I stopped counting. This time around, I’m in a lower deficit and trying to focus on each day, rather than the supposed end goal of my weight goal. But when I get there, I’ll need to focus on maintenance. So I’m trying to just focus on each day. Someone on here said something like the process is the goal. That’s been so helpful! I haven’t even weighed myself for the last two weeks, because I can get hung up on the numbers, but I can feel my clothes getting looser and can see contours I haven’t seen for awhile.
  • SoulThriver88
    SoulThriver88 Posts: 27 Member
    when your scale breaks...get a new one...
    I stopped weighing myself because my scale broke and I thought I would be fine without one. Big mistake... I am struggling to get rid of the excess weight gain.
  • Mrs_Smith_8002
    Mrs_Smith_8002 Posts: 13 Member
    I will have to log and track for the rest of my life. I have gained and lost and gained and lost so many times I know I can't do it just on intuition.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    I’ve been maintaining a long time. Initially I made goal and kept tracking for 5 years. I eventually got to the point where I could maintain without it. But if I gain more than 2 or 3 lbs I start again. Just how it is.

Easy? It is. Consider the 3500 calories per lb rule of thumb. Just 100 extra calories per day will mean a 10 lb gain in a year. How easy is that? 1 glass of wine. A cookie or 2. A second helping of something. Not hard at all.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    I've been logging for 1 1/2 years now. I lost a little over 100 lbs and allow myself a 10 lb window now in maintenance. Once I am nearing the 10lbs, I start being much more strict with calorie counting. It's far from easy for me, but it is working as long as I stay mentally tough. My problem in the past has always been making excuses. I believe I will be counting calories for rest of my life. Whatever works :)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    And I want to add this but the edit function isn’t working.

Try not to be distressed.

A lot of people find tracking a burden. I found it to be a lot of trouble at first, but over time it didn’t take much effort. I kept my food diary with pen and paper. Basically just crude lists of what I ate with the numbers. Logging on the computer reminds me of work. It’s good to have the database, but I needed to see my logbook on the kitchen counter as a constant reminder.

Also a lot of people kick themselves for tracking long term. “I should be able to do it on my own.” It’s not normal.” “I need to learn intuitive eating.”

Should? According to who? The woman who complained to me about tracking being abnormal weighs about 300lbs. No kidding. I think intuitive eating is a myth. The 2 people I’ve met in my life, I’m 70, who I’d count as naturally thin just weren’t much interested in eating, thought getting hungry was a nuisance.

Intuitively my eye sees food my brain says eat. I think it’s like that for most people. Our bodies are designed to store extra calories to see us through hard times. In the modern world those times haven’t arrived for most of us. So I have to find a way to operate with some reasonable limits. Calorie counting works. That’s all there is to know.
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 722 Member
    I think I'll have to continue to do it. I hate tracking, but when I don't do it, I slowly gain ALL the weight back. Ah well, I'm grateful to have this tool, back in the old days it was pen and paper plus a calorie book. Myfitness pal is so much easier than that.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Its not that hard to fathom actually. When we don't track, it is easy for calorie creep to happen. Eat a little extra, drink a little extra here & there. A gain of 15 pounds in a year: is a surplus of 143 calories per day. Logging, or at least being aware to some extent of how much one consumes is going to be relevant for most of us - for a lifetime - to stay in maintenance.
  • For me it isn't even calorie creep. It's the mindfulness of knowing that I *will* track it that keeps me on the straight and narrow. When I don't track, it's a lot easier to just eat ALL THE FOOD because I can lie to myself that it isn't that bad.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    I've been going back and forth on this very subject myself for the last couple of months since I switched to maintenance. I'm pretty sure that I will need to be a logger for the rest of my days if I want to keep the weight off, but I think the fact that I'm logging makes me keep calories down to a reasonable amount, so the act of logging is keeping the process top of mind for me, if that makes sense? It's the same with exercising: if I'm purposefully exercising daily (or almost daily) then I'm more likely to stay "on track" and not over do it.

So the logging is making me be more accountable and keeping the process front and center I think? I don't know... I'm just winging it half the time anyway... ;)