Strengthening core quickly?

VeryKatie
VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
edited October 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone...

I was wondering if anyone has effective and fun core exercise routines that will help build strength? Not looking for aesthetic improvement at all, I dont really care about that aspect right now. I would have to lose quite a bit of fat before anything could be visible anyway. I dont like laying on the floor for core exercises...

Any improvement for me is good but the "faster" the better (without over doing it).

How often should I do a core routine?

My history:

2 babies in the past, the last one born in January 2019, the one before in June 2017, so I didn't have much time to heal between those pregnancies. They were not csections. Hoping to start trying for another mid to late November.

So I am looking to improve the condition of my abs post babies before I destroy them with yet another pregnancy LOL. We only just decided we would go for number 3 hence why I'm in a "rush". Again not looking for perfection or anything, just effective improvement. I would stop doing a core routine once I'm approx 3 months pregnant, whenever that happens. I typically hate all floor core exercises. I could probably get on board with planking... music might help. I do have a weight set but I'm not sure how soon I will get back to that since it is in my garage and it's getting cold (we need to buy a heater and I have some concerns about squatting with a potentially weaker pelvic floor, some stuff I read said it might make it worse not better). I also have a chin up bar but let's face it, I can't even make myself budge on that...

I dont think I have diastsis recti. But I could definitely improve my pelvic floor muscles as well, though I haven't technically had it assessed. It just doesn't feel as strong as it used to.

I hate crunches, I think my core is too weak so my neck tries to compensate and it is uncomfortable. I dont put my hands on my head or neck. My core has always been a problem for me tbh.

Stats:
32 I think
Female
5'6"
130 lb
Fat %??? I have a "mommy tummy" still... but I've always been kind of shaped like that. It doesn't bother me.
Eating roughly 1500-1600 cals a day to get rid of the last 5 lb of baby weight off from my last pregnancy. I don't weigh my food usually but my results are as expected so good enough for me.
Current exercise routine: ext to nil. Carrying my 1 and 3 year old up and down stairs... and thats basically it. Playing with them. I do have a cross trainer at home too. And I enjoy some dancing video games but don't play them often.

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Try this, will effectively strengthen the core
    https://youtu.be/o0_DoicHg2E
  • Theoldguy1
    Note anything you do will be a pricess a d most likely not as quick as you want. Just keep at it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I would say start lifting if you can. If that's not an option, what worked for me was stomach vacuums. Heidi Powell has a great video on YouTube about it. I did them daily and (along with lifting and a small deficit) saw incredible results for my core strength, posture as well as definition.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    planks are great.
  • Theoldguy1
    Farmers and suitcaee carries are great for the core. Basically a moving plank with the benefit of additional conditioning work.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited October 2020
    Bodyfit by Amy has a whole series of videos for postpartum and DR, and a lot of these are focused on rebuilding core safely:

(That link was meant to be the the play list: google Amy babyfit and you should get there.)

Amy has two children, one born by Caesarian and after the second she had DR so she has her own experience of needing to rebuild her core. Almost all her workouts have options for women who are pregnant, postpartum or have DR. She also has a four week strong core programme (structured way of working through relevant free videos, which you have to pay for), but I seem to remeber that she doesn't recommend this for postpartum/DR. But I might have that wrong. I am about 3/4 of the way through that, mostly using the easier options, and my core is miles stronger. I think her workouts are great. Good luck!
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    There are plenty of "standing abs" workouts on YouTube. I believe HASfit and Body Project have some good ones.

Should you decide to transition to the floor MadFit has some good beginner abs routines.

I would also try yoga as many postures are great for strengthening core as they require a lot of balance. Yoga with Kassandra is my favorite channel.