Pre diabetic

Options
Hey everyone-
I’m not necessarily new to MFP, I’ve been using it on and off for years. Most recently I’ve been on a bit of a hiatus. But, after some health issues and lots of lab work, I was told last week that I am pre diabetic. 😩 Diabetes runs in my family as my mom is type 1 diabetic, her sister (my aunt) is a type 2 and my grandmother was also type 2 before her passing last October. My doctor has given me 3 months to use diet and exercise to fix this problem...if I don’t, it will be medication. I HATE drugs! If I can avoid them in any way I will! Recently with my health issues I was out on birth control pills (for cycle only) and I am also on a daily anti anxiety med as I have struggled with severe anxiety for 12 years. So, those are enough for me, don’t want to add to it!!
I’m 35 years old, happily married, have two beautiful daughters and an educator who loves my job and my students! I’m looking for some new friends on here that may also be diabetic or pre diabetic (not a requirement, anyone is welcome), who may have some tips and who can lend some refreshing encouragement!
Feel free to send me a friend request! 🙂
⭐️Amber⭐️

Replies

• MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't know if you've heard of him but a friend was pre-diabetic and is no longer. His own diabetes is in remission. His books can be bought in Amazon. Good luck!
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com/
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I was full blown diabetic before I knew I was even at risk. It was a huge shock but I also didn't want medication - my GP gave me 6 months to sort myself out. Through diet (and a lot of info on this site), I've got my numbers back to below pre-diabetic and am therefore in remission. In the Search box on the forums, look for diabetes and read some of the poststhat come up - you'll get plenty of helpful info from people who have been on here for years.

Assuming you are overweight, focus on getting down to normal BMI. Losing weight is the proven way to drop your blood sugar numbers.

Linked to that, track / monitor how many carbs you're eating. The US medical associations suggest different things to the UK, but Diabetes UK suggests eating less than 130g carbs a day. That's what I've been doing. I think the US suggests so many grams per meal. No idea about other countries. Carbs turn to sugar in your body, hence that's important to look at.

A forum search will give info such as ensuring you eat some fat and/or protein with your carbs as it helps stop blood sugar rocketing. It's a huge learning curve, but the key points that I can think of are to lose weight and reduce your carbs.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,143 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year when I was hospitalized for 9 days with the flu/pneumonia ...I was on insulin(I have to give my self shots ) ...I was on Victoza (shots) and Metformin ... I went on Keto ..now I eat low carb ... I am happy to say I am off all medications for diabetes ...Wishing you the very best and hope you do not need any meds for diabetes ........You are welcome to add me as a friend :)
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    130 g of carbs a day by Diabetic association awfully overbloun number. If you take only 30-50 g a day of carbs your diabetis may dissapear in 2 days. There were studies when people gained their insuline sencitivity as fast as for 2 days. If you trust ADArecommendations, you may get to the remission only, and have to watch your glucose every day and every meal. If you stop overloading your body with unnecessary carbs, you will heal yourself for years ahead, and will stop worreing about glucose every meal just bc you don't consume carbs. Along with normal glucose level you will have thousand of other "side-effects" cardio-vascular health will be better, weight going down, joints stop hurting, skin get clear, energy level rise, blood pressure going down and more good suprises lay ahead.
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I used to be full blown diabetic. Insulin, pills, the whole nine yards. I got off all medication using well balanced meals and walking 30 minutes per day. No added sugars but as long as the carbs are eaten with healthy fats, protein, and plenty of fiber the overall glycemic load does not impact blood sugar and insulin responses the way eating a candy bar would. You can review my diary, add me if you wish. I've lost 68 pounds so far and my diet is very sustainable, affordable, convenient and includes all food groups that will give you well balanced meals using low calorie dense foods. Good luck.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting has fixed my prediabetes along with no added sugar and restricting simple carbs. I am the only one in my family my generation and above without diabetes - even my nieces grand daughter is diabetic. I'm fighting all I can. The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung helped me understand it
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    My wife recently took a blood test that showed high Potassium. She's also showing several other signs of early stage Type II Diabetes. She overcame Fibromyalgia, we mostly cleaned up our diets, but sugar was one thing she would not give up. We both lost well over 100 lbs around 8 years ago. Slowly, she's gained a lot of it back. Most of it, with her, is portion control and eating sugar she doesn't think about -- ice cream or popsicles at night, more cream in her coffee than coffee (and a few grams of sugar per TBS add up) and the occasional treat that we make.

The good news is we caught it, I think, early (she goes back in for more blood work and a doctor appointment later this month). Also, I cook a lot. I'm celiac, and because her Fibro, we don't do a lot of bread. She's allergic to cow dairy, so we only eat a small amount of sheep/goat dairy. Already found a non-dairy creamer that has zero sugar for her and ordered it today.

She's feeling a bit sorry for herself right now. I'll eat however she has to eat. I'm looking at it as more of an opportunity to finally get ripped and lean. I also think she'll love it once she loses weight cracking down on the excess sugar, which is in everything (even dairy and gluten free items).

We're right with you OP. I hope to post up more recipes as I learn them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    130 g of carbs a day by Diabetic association awfully overbloun number. If you take only 30-50 g a day of carbs your diabetis may dissapear in 2 days. There were studies when people gained their insuline sencitivity as fast as for 2 days. If you trust ADArecommendations, you may get to the remission only, and have to watch your glucose every day and every meal. If you stop overloading your body with unnecessary carbs, you will heal yourself for years ahead, and will stop worreing about glucose every meal just bc you don't consume carbs. Along with normal glucose level you will have thousand of other "side-effects" cardio-vascular health will be better, weight going down, joints stop hurting, skin get clear, energy level rise, blood pressure going down and more good suprises lay ahead.

I googled and couldn't find any studies that showed that with very low carb diabetes could disappear in two days. Would you please provide links to STUDIES? (Not blogs, etc.)
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I googled and couldn't find any studies that showed that with very low carb diabetes could disappear in two days. Would you please provide links to STUDIES? (Not blogs, etc.)

Diabetes has no cure but it can be managed to the point where symptoms may go away. I have great blood sugar levels but if Im not mindful of my food choices for the rest of my life the disease might worsen. It's important to know that once you show no symptoms to not let your guard down.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

That's not a link to a study.

I looked through the pdf of the slides and while I saw studies referenced, I didn't see any titles that were specifically about making diabetes disappear with very low carb. Perhaps you could point out which?

http://denversdietdoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Jason-Fung-A-New-Paradigm-of-Insulin-Resistance.pdf
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    of cause you have to manage your diabetis if consume carbs. If you don't stuff your face with carbs, your don't have to "manage" glucose level, bc it's just has no chance to appear in your blood. Your own liver will keep level of glucose with greate precision, always between 75 and 99, which corresponds to one tspoon in whole body.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I'm 40 and was diagnosed pre-diabetic this year as well. :# It also runs in my family so I'm a bit in the same boat.

Generally speaking, diets that focus on protein, fat and low glycemic-index foods are the best bet for those with insulin issues. So low carb diets fit the bill. How low carb you need to go is maybe dependent on your specific numbers.
    For those curious; i did a 5 second google search about why low carb diets are effective for insulin resistance (this is the issue for those that are pre-diabetic. Essentially your body stops responding to 'normal' levels of insulin, causing an overproduction of insulin, which in turn sets you in a cycle of blood sugar issues, tiredness, overeating, weight gain, further insulin resistance etc) https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/how-low-carb-diets-work.html

Apparently, cardio is especially good for improving insulin sensitivity because of the glucose from the bloodstream that it uses. An exert from the article posted below "During exercise, your body burns glycogen, a form of glucose that is stored in your muscles. After exercise, your muscles replenish their glycogen stores with glucose from the bloodstream. The more glycogen that is burned during a bout of activity, the longer the body’s insulin sensitivity is improved.
    More intense and longer-duration activities can improve insulin sensitivity for up to one to two days, as muscle glycogen that was used during the exercise is being restored. A short, low-intensity activity such as weeding a small garden, however, may not have any lasting impact on insulin sensitivity since very little glycogen is used during it.
    Therefore, to improve insulin sensitivity on a continuing basis, you should plan on exercising at least every other day, with near-daily workouts exerting an even more beneficial effect. In addition, you should try to do some more intense workouts (like brisk walking and resistance work) in addition to normal, less strenuous daily activities."

https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/managing-diabetes/treatment-approaches/increasing-insulin-sensitivity/

I've also done a bit of research into various protein type supplements that are specifically designed to help lower/regulate blood sugar. Im not sure what to think of them overall, but the studies they list show a 8% decrease of fasting blood sugar on average after use for a few months. I feel like 8% isn't that impressive of a change but then again, maybe every bit helps? Again - not sure what I think but I've started using them to see what comes of it. I WILL say that they seem to cut my food cravings out so thats nice.
    Ok editing my post because I got flagged so I guess I'm not allowed to put links in. I tried a product called Attain GC Control. You can google it if you are curious.
  • sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Both my parents were labeled as pre-diabetic when they had hospital visits. Seemed that was standard for the different hospitals they went to; my dad for a heart attack, my mom gall bladder.

My dad worked really hard and has been able to control by diet the last few years. His last A1C got him out from the "pre-diabetic" label. His mother and sisters were diabetics; especially after heart attacks. so big family history on his side. He gave up his role of human garbage disposal once he realized the sweets were hurting him. He's able to self control really and just an occasional portioned sweet. He was never a big guy and only slightly overweight.

My mom hasn't gotten scared from the label yet. She went on Metformin. She thinks she's "being good" but really hasn't made changes to her lifestyle. She may limit some sweets but is still heavy carbs for snacks and such. Her numbers are lowered when she exercises in the summer so she's seeing that link to try more during the rest of the year. I'm not sure what will stick for her if anything though. She's fairly overweight.

I have not been labeled as pre-diabetic. My A1Cs have been good. I tend toward my dad's side so I'm trying to get things right at this time instead of waiting until I do. I worry with a pre-disposition to binge eat on occasion that I could lean that way in the future to being pre-diabetic. Watching them has scared me a bit so I am trying to learn from them. exercise is my struggle point but I've given myself the minimum of once a week for right now. More focusing on better food to help and with weight loss right now. I have always been overweight except for 1 year 15 years ago when I lost 60 lbs. Now trying to do it again and hope to stay down.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Low glycemic index foods can be a big help as can regular exercise.