Cleavage at work...how much is too much?

Options
quichebradford
quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
This is a situation we're discussing here at work...what do you guys think?

Women's Question:
If a woman you work with constantly wears shirts that are too revealing for the office, would you be offended? For example, low cut shirts that require a cami underneath, but she wears it without one. Would you say something to the woman about it?

Men's Question:
Let's say you're the boss, and one of your female employees has a habit of wearing shirts that are too revealing, how would you handle it.

Replies

• I_give_it_2_u_str8
    Options
    I would encourage that type of behavior
  • boomboom011
    Options
    my view is is you question what you are showing then its too much. Thats my test.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I won't wear anything low cut. I have two wrap dresses that are iffy, so I wear sweaters over them and zip them.
    I'm a little prude at work.

If I was a supervisor with an employee who wore low cut shirts, I'd suggest either shirts that cover more or a sweater.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    No. I had my boobs covered up for a good 10 years. I see no reason to do it now (when I'm not at work)...except, I'm going back to work and fully intend on covering up. I wouldn't be offended though. I fully intend on taking my career seriously, and not being a piece of meat.

Why are you offended by her boobs though?
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    Guess it would depend if you worked at a nightclub or a penitentiary...
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I bartend, you can never show too much cleavage when you're behind a bar haha
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    I think it depends on what you are doing for your job. I can understand why it can make some people uncomfortable but it is there decision to show themselves in that manner. To each his own!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hmm not sure what you can do if there is no uniform, I guess the management could mention it.

I had a situation some years back, I was a secretary I wore suits (my own) along with a company issue blouse, One suit I was a skirt that came to just above my knees (decent) but the fashion was a small split on the thigh.. it was small and not an issue when standing.. when I sat though it naturally rose up and the split added to the thigh visible. This wasn't something I thought of as issue as I had a modesty panel on my desk and no one sittng near me. There was a manager in the building (not in my office) who came to my office though and said she was going to make a complaint about my skirt length as it was too revealing and she could see my cleavage. She was stood above me as I was sat at my desk (immediately to my side. I smiled ever so sweetly and said my defence would be that she was making me feel uncomfortable in her staring at my cleavage and legs! her face was a picture and funnily enough my boss never mentioned a complaint!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    It depends.

Some ladies have such LARGE breasts that the only option of "covering up" would be to wear a turtle neck which ISN'T what I want or desire to wear. Anything I wear ends up being revealing even when I'm not even going for that look. I don't want to wear a turtle neck to hide myself and be hot and uncomfortable. If I feel it's TOO much I put an under shirt or wear a shawl
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I generally don't care what other people are doing if it's not hurting me or hindering my everyday life in some way. So, no, I would not say something. If I were the boss, I'd first make sure she's not the only guilty party. Then, I'd just ask her (and other offenders) to wear camis underneath her blouses if more than an inch of chest crack would be revealed.
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    LMBO!!!!!
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I think if your boobs get more eye contact than your eyes do, it's too much cleavage. Unless you're at the bar, looking to get some action, etc. But definately too much for the office. Are you friends enough with her to tell her it's too much? Otherwise maybe have your boss send out a general dress code memo...
  • martinh78
    Options
    Men's Question:
    Let's say you're the boss, and one of your female employees has a habit of wearing shirts that are too revealing, how would you handle it.

I'd have to consult a lawyer ;o)
  • quichebradford
    quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    No. I had my boobs covered up for a good 10 years. I see no reason to do it now (when I'm not at work)...except, I'm going back to work and fully intend on covering up. I wouldn't be offended though. I fully intend on taking my career seriously, and not being a piece of meat.

Why are you offended by her boobs?

LOL, the boobs in question aren't real. This is a what if....just something we were talking about. I don't think I would be offended, granted I wouldn't want her coming to my desk all day trying to talk to me...too distracting! :laugh:
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I've had female employees ask me to say something to other female employees about what they felt like was provocative dress (though cleavage wasn't the exact issue).
  • jewel3575
    jewel3575 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had that happen to me, I am a very large chested women and my old work had a problem with pretty much any top! People have to understand women with larger breasts do not fit in clothes the same, so if you and I were wearing the same shirt, I would be showing way more cleavage than you. But is it fair for you to be able to wear that shirt and not me?? I don't think so... with in reason obviously, but I know I was very offended when my boss approached me about my tops, because I had NO Idea I was be unprofessional in any way. Is there a dress code for you place? Because you can always go through HR to handle this as well....
  • firefightinflip
    Options
    Yes!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I guess I'd have to call her into my office and give a good tongue lashing.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    It depends where you work and what you're going for. It would offend me to see another female dressed like that here, but I work in an all boys' Catholic high school! When I was in corporate America as a manager, I would speak to the employees who were not modestly dressed.
  • Reneda
    Reneda Posts: 140
    Options

i had a former boss who felt this way...

we actually ended up having a "seminar" to teach the women in our office how to dress... the new word of the year was "cami"... apparently you are supposed to wear a cami under everything!!! according to the lady doing the seminar, if you bend over and can see your "girls" in the mirror, then you need a cami..

me - - we had women who wore low cut blouses (and suspiciously were the ones who were not able to attend the aforementioned seminar...) and i dealt with the situation by responding the same way that a man would... i would talk to her boobies rather than her face.. after a while she got the point and pulled her shirt up.. lol..