Why does it only let me lose .7 lbs a week?

Options
When I created my profile I clicked on lose 2 lbs per week. But on the overview it says I will lose .7 lbs a week.... If I go back into my profile to change it the button is still clicked for 2 lbs a week. I'm confused as to if I did something wrong or if maybe its unrealistic to lose 2lbs a week for me? My calorie goal per day is 1200 i'm 120lbs and just trying to lose 10 or 15 could that be why?

Replies

• stronglikebull
    Options
    yep. you're close enough to the weight you should be that any weight you do lose will be slow in coming.
  • XiaoRuRu
    Options
    curious too.
  • paintitblack
    Options
    Because to lose 1lb per week you'd need to have a deficiency of 500 calories per day. To lose 2lbs per week it'd be a deficiency of 1000 calories per day. That'd only work if you were over weight (which you're not) so MFP won't allow it because it'll take you under 1200 calories.

Unless you were so overweight that your BMR was 2200, you wouldn't be able to healthily lose 2lb a week with that kind of deficiency. Hope this helped!

edit to clear this up a little with an example of myself > to maintain I'd have to eat around 1600 calories a day. To lose 1lb a week I'd have to eat 1600 - 500 every day. That'd put my net at 1100, which is too low to be healthy. To lose 2lb weekly it'd be a net of 600.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    yep. you're close enough to the weight you should be that any weight you do lose will be slow in coming.
    what she said.
  • tinytots3
    tinytots3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How tall are you. It might think its unhealthy to lose that much that quickly.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your full stats, I would say that it is making the necessary estimates based on your height, weight and BMI now.

My question to you is that you now weigh 120lbs, why to you feel compelled to lose another 10-15 lbs. Unless you are 4' tall you are not over weight.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Because to lose 1lb per week you'd need to have a deficiency of 500 calories per day. To lose 2lbs per week it'd be a deficiency of 1000 calories per day. That'd only work if you were over weight (which you're not) so MFP won't allow it because it'll take you under 1200 calories.

Unless you were so overweight that your BMR was 2200, you wouldn't be able to healthily lose 2lb a week with that kind of deficiency. Hope this helped!

edit to clear this up a little with an example of myself > to maintain I'd have to eat around 1600 calories a day. To lose 1lb a week I'd have to eat 1600 - 500 every day. That'd put my net at 1100, which is too low to be healthy. To lose 2lb weekly it'd be a net of 600.

well said
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You're already 120lbs, losing 10-15lbs seems a bit much (unless your 4ft tall like someone else said). What about focusing on toning or building muscle?
  • klynn08
    klynn08 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Alright thanks! I figured it was just unrealistic to lose 2lbs a week for me just wanted to make sure I wasnt doing anything wrong. And I never said that I think i'm overweight, It's just that I was happy at 105 when I started college so I'm trying to get back down to it. I am toning as much as I can but due to a car accident a few years ago lifting weights of any sort is difficult