My first ever 5k run.....

Options
So I just signed up for a 5k run with my cousin to support research efforts for all types of women's cancer. It's Oct 2nd. Which means I have 24 days to be ready. I'm not much of a runner so this should be interesting. But seeing as how the run is right by my home and I personally know too many people fighting or who have lost the fight to cancer I figured why not. Wish me luck. :-) Any positive advice is greatly appreciated. Now all I need to do is start raising some donation money. That might actually prove to be harder than the run itself.

Replies

• 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Awesome! and a great cause to support! Doesn't matter if you can run it or walk it, the point is you are doing the 5k for a good cause and its good fun and exercise too. Best of luck!!!!
  • Advice for the run itself would be getting use to being active for 3 miles. I am working my way up to a 5k and I can run at least half of it. Try to run those 3 miles on and off and once your body has adjusted you will be able to run the 3 straight through no problem. Hope this helps! :)
  • andreaashell
    andreaashell Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! I am not a runner, but if you haven't tried it yet, try out the Couch 2 5k program. It will get you started.
  • hslruns
    Options
    Good for you!!!!!! I became a runner about 10 years ago and most days I love it :) I have found the running community to be so supportive and organized races are so much fun no matter what your level everyone will be out there cheering you on . Good luck !