Favorite delivery food options?

Options
When your trying to eat healthy and stay under calories what are your favorite delivery options (chinese, subs, pizza, etc)?

I realize it could be anything (you can order a pizza and just eat one slice) but lets be realistic here - I have no self control.

So what are some great options you can order - it's a single serving - not too unhealthy or realistic carb and calories?

My go to right now is the JIMMY JOHNS UNWICH (lettuce wrapped sub) but it's getting a little old and I get two of them and it barely fills me up (800 calories for two subs).

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    Grocery list. Amex. Husband.

👍🏻
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    The only delivery we get is Whole Foods. They don't jack up the prices like InstaCart. (I shop locally for foods that are cheaper elsewhere than WF.)

My OH picks up takeout. There is a sub shop that always has coupons for Buy One - Get One Free. For dinner, I have half a sub and make a big salad. I'll have the other half or a quarter for a bed time snack, and if there is a quarter left, have it for breakfast. This is our most common takeout.

For pizza, we get a small - he has 5 pieces and I have 3 plus a big salad. We both COULD eat more, but don't need to, and completing it is essential for moderation.

I save Chinese for days when I have a lot of calories. Sometimes I make broccoli to go with it and help fill me up for less calories.

Notice the trend of me using veggies to create satiety for less calories? ;)
  • deadenddiva
    deadenddiva Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Walmart for everything! Am on their monthly delivery plan, it costs equal out to the gas I'd burn shopping, and it's easier to avoid junk food. My sis is disabled, I'm a senior, covid19 is lurking....

with Walmart on-line groceries, if you don't do a search for candy/cookies/chips you never see them. Food purchases have images of the nutrition values for all canned or processed foods. Prices are reasonable. Plus I always tip the delivery drivers in person. We don't do any cooked/restaurant food deliveries, we're both at the poverty level, (if you give us snorkels that is), and even drive-thru is a budget de-railer.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'm too cheap to pay for restaurant delivery much.. 😂 most things are within 10-15 minutes of my house, though, but I do occasionally get pizza delivered. Two slices of mushroom pizza and a breadstick or two does it for me. 👍
    Sometimes when I don't want to cook (which isn't often), I'll get a black bean crunchwrap from Taco Bell. I think it is about 500 calories, and is pretty good sized for a quick dinner.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I sometimes order in some sushi. It's a shame that only one of the sushi places in town has what I enjoy most: simple meals containing nigiris, sashimi and maki - without mayo or other sauces. All the other places have meals containing too much of that stuff, and ordering everything separately makes things a lot more expensive.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Grocery delivery for fresh basic ingredients and cooking at home for every day. Thai curry on Uber Eats for a treat. There's a local restaurant that cooks it up very fragrant, authentic and fresh but what most people would call a small portion. Then I just dump out half the rice and I'm all set.
    And to think I used to treat myself to a large pizza... Canadian large, which is smaller than US large, but still.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Pho with half the noodles. High in sodium, but otherwise pretty healthy if you don’t add heaps of hoisin sauce. Filling and yummy. Just my opinion though.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I go for a thin crust vegetarian pizza. Or a salad with tofu and brown rice as well with lots of vegetables.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I don't order in. At most, I do pickup. If I want to not-cook, then I'm at least going to harvest the extra movement in my day from fetching the food myself, versus paying someone else to move for me. I do my own grocery shopping, too partly for that reason.

I know that some people find that delivery, especially for groceries, limits dangerous temptations. That's not usually a problem for me.

I'm not saying my solution should be everyone's solution.

Some Chinese food, some sushi or other Japanese fare, and salads (without fried meats or super-caloric dressings) are calorie efficient. Even some Mexican food can be, if selective. Middle Eastern/Mediterranean cuisine is also a good option around here, or some Thai. Look for veggie-heavy dishes, without fried ingredients (which usually use more oil than essential), with lower-calorie protein ingredients. Watch out for sauces, though most salsa or pico de gallo is low cal.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Grocery delivery makes me much less likely to impulse buy crap.

As for 'not going to cook' days my favorite options are subway and taco belle - they both do a protein or power bowl that's reasonable calories, a lot of veg, and good protein. Just watch the dressing at subway. They will DROWN your food.