Stationary bike

Looking to know which is good for a first timer. I’ve been a runner but my knee is starting to give me pain. I was told a bike would be better. Any ideas what’s the best one. Not looking to spend a lot. Around 6-7 hundred bucks.
Thanks for the help

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Can you go to your local bike store? Supporting your local bike is the right thing to do.
  • Jeter1777
    Jeter1777 Posts: 6 Member
    I only have a regular bicycle store I’m looking to purchase some thing I can use stationary. In my basement.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    edited October 2020
    If you already have a bike or are willing to buy one used, you can save a lot of $ and have more versatility buying rollers so that you can bike stationary at home and still use the bike on the road.

However, really "good" rollers can cost $300+ and IMO it's better cheap out on bike rather the rollers. A highly regarded roller will be easier to resell than any bike (larger potential mkt), esp if the bike you've got costs $1k+.

You should be able to buy a new "good" roller and an "ok" used bike for around $600-700.
  • Leezy55
    Leezy55 Posts: 339 Member
    We bought ours used on craigslist.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,067 Member
    a bike might be better. i have knee issues, and i found a recumbent better for me than an upright. my personal favorites have been schwinns for both upright and recumbent. i also did okay with an exerpeudic semi-recumbent and a magnetrainer, which can be more versatile and i'd say is the pick of the litter when it comes to its type of peddling machine. we did okay with xterras, but i wasn't as thrilled with them.