Upper body workout ?

weedspot
weedspot Posts: 29 Member
edited October 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi!

I’ve been doing an upper/lower body split for a few weeks now. 2 upper body days and 2 lower body days.
I’ve looked around to try and find the best workout possible. But every time there’s only one biceps, one triceps and on shoulder exercise. Compared to 2 back, 2 chest exercises.

My question is: I get that triceps go with chest exercises and shoulder with pretty much every compound exercises. But why are biceps « neglected » when it comes to upper body workouts ?

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    You use your biceps on pulling movements. Such as rows, lat pulldown, etc.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    You said it yourself - because your "back" and "chest" exercises also work your arms and shoulders.

If you really want to add more bicep work then maybe add some as an accessory at the end of your workout but TBH many people in the gym do far too much bicep isolation work and not enough compound lifts for my tastes.

Depends on your goals in the end and how much time you want to devote to doing time consuming exercises targetting a single muscle group. "The best possible workout" has to be alligned with your goals so maybe it's time to have a good think about and share those goals?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I used to go to a commercial gym before building my own at home, and far too many men ONLY work charms (chest and arms).

You can add some isolation in if you would like such as preacher curls, dumbbell curls, hammer curls, etc if you would like, but I wouldn’t add in more than 1 or 2 isolation exercises since you are already working these muscles during your compound exercises.