How do you warm-up?

I’ve done every type of warm up imaginable. Foam rolling, cardio, stretching, dynamic stretching.. to the point where it’s over complicated and extremely long 🙃

So I need advice on how to warm-up haha.

Replies

• MamaOne13
    MamaOne13 Posts: 66 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Well, it depends, but lots of people (myself included) don’t “warm up” at all. I simply go to the gym and start lifting. I’m in my 40s and I’ve never had an injury as a result of skipping the warm up step. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’ve had multiple injuries, one that’s lasted 3 years now. My husband has lifted for 14 years and hasn’t had one injury and he doesn’t warm up either haha. So that’s why I feel like maybe I should change my approach 😂😅
  • JGT001
    JGT001 Posts: 21 Member
    What sort of cardio warm up were you doing? I'll typically do simple cardio (elliptical or treadmill) just to get the blood flowing.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited October 2020
    warm up for what?

for general, warm up 5 minutes on the treadmill at a brisk but comfortable walking speed.

for lifting, sets with empty bar until feels “right” (usually just one for myself) then ramp up 3-4 more sets to working weight.
  • TurquiseTurtle7
    TurquiseTurtle7 Posts: 16 Member
    Before following along with my workout video, I do a couple minutes of jumping jacks and hip and knee circles. That seems to work pretty well.

Before running, I just walk for a couple minutes. That's all the warm up I do.
  • MamaOne13
    JGT001 wrote: »
    What sort of cardio warm up were you doing? I'll typically do simple cardio (elliptical or treadmill) just to get the blood flowing.

Yeah I just did elliptical or treadmill for 5-10 mins 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • MamaOne13
    wiigelec wrote: »
    warm up for what?

for general, warm up 5 minutes on the treadmill at a brisk but comfortable walking speed.

for lifting, sets with empty bar until feels “right” (usually just one for myself) then ramp up 3-4 more sets to working weight.

For lifting haha.
    And you’ve had no injuries just doing that?
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    A warm shower....oh you meant to workout! 😂 Ok that wasn't very funny

I typically ignore a warm up. It's a very bad habit but seems to work
  • wiigelec
    edited October 2020
    MamaOne13 wrote: »
    For lifting haha.
    if you could, post your warm up sets and working weight sets for your last squat workout.

for example:

45 x 2 x 5 (2 sets of 5, empty bar)
    95 x 5 (one set of 5)
    115 x 5
    135 x 3
    155 x 3
    185 x 3 x 5 (3 sets of 5, working weight)
  • MamaOne13
    MamaOne13 wrote: »
    For lifting haha.
    if you could, post your warm up sets and working weight sets for your last squat workout.

for example:

45 x 2 x 5 (2 sets of 5, empty bar)
    95 x 5 (one set of 5)
    115 x 5
    135 x 3
    155 x 3
    185 x 3 x 5 (3 sets of 5, working weight)

Well I haven’t worked out in a while haha that’s why I was needing advice on how to warm-up 😅 it’s been about a year since I’ve done a consistent workout.

• wiigelec
    this may be helpful:

https://www.andybaker.com/warm/
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I just walk down to the weight room and squat and bench the empty bar 5x each. Then I put the plates on. That's it!
  • MamaOne13

Thank you!!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I don't do any static stretching. I'll do warmup sets for my compound lifts and work up to my working sets.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I usually do a glute activation warm-up. Bird-dogs, banded stuff like fire hydrants, hip extensions, kickbacks, hip thrusts, light dumbbell deadlift stretches etc. On upper days I do arm/shoulder rotations, neck rotations, some yoga stuff. Also before my main lifts especially if they are heavier I will do warm up sets with lighter weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Normally my lifting warmup is simply warm up sets, lighter weight and higher reps. If I'm feeling creaky or have had a training break I start lower and take longer to get to the heavy sets. If I'm feeling good and training consistently I shorten the process.
    As you are coming back from a break then would suggest not shortening the process, adapt as you get back into consistent training.

If you like a short cardio session as a warmup (personally I don't....) elliptical where you are using arms and legs or rowing machine can be good choices.

At the moment my gym visits are limited to 50mins and for an upper body workout I can warm up effectively with 5 mins on the cable machine. It allows me to get up to my working sets quicker and overall saves me time / allows me to get sufficient volume at the right intensity.

(FYI - really not seeing why you would consider foam rolling or static stretches as warmup, warming up implies movement.)
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited October 2020
    walking down the stairs to my basement is my warm up :wink: I go right into my routine. I don't lift overly heavy so it works for my 55 year old body.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    My warm up is the walk to the bus... the 45 minute bus ride to the gym, then the walk from the bus stop to the gym. 🤷‍♀️
  • MamaOne13
    sijomial wrote: »
    Normally my lifting warmup is simply warm up sets, lighter weight and higher reps. If I'm feeling creaky or have had a training break I start lower and take longer to get to the heavy sets. If I'm feeling good and training consistently I shorten the process.
    As you are coming back from a break then would suggest not shortening the process, adapt as you get back into consistent training.

If you like a short cardio session as a warmup (personally I don't....) elliptical where you are using arms and legs or rowing machine can be good choices.

At the moment my gym visits are limited to 50mins and for an upper body workout I can warm up effectively with 5 mins on the cable machine. It allows me to get up to my working sets quicker and overall saves me time / allows me to get sufficient volume at the right intensity.

(FYI - really not seeing why you would consider foam rolling or static stretches as warmup, warming up implies movement.)

When I first started lifting 6 years ago I had no idea what I was doing which is why I did dumb stuff like foam rolling 😂
    But thank you 👍🏻 :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    A good warm is specific to thevtadk at hand.

Foam rolling and such may be enjoyed by some but has little to none specificity to anything I can think of and the extremely limited benefits is extremely short lived compared to just a specific warm up to the task at hand. If you enjoy it no harm, but I can think of a million other things I would do.

So for squats my warm consists of a couple air squats and adding weight from a empty baseball to working weight.

If I was training for a marathon, I would warm up with a slow trot.

When I played football professionally, I would warm up with slow movements that mirrored my routes.

When I played baseball, I would start with short toss and bring it to long toss.

Cardio has great benefits, but if it isn't specific to the task I don't see it as much benefit for a warm up. If you were going to cycle at a moderate speed for a long ride, I would warm up with slow speed for a few minutes. If I was going to perform rowing, I would warm up for a few minutes by slow rowing.

Stay specific and the muscles you intend to use with be ready to go and your body will be ready to perform.