Erghhh high waisted jeans

Options
Does anyone else find that high waisted jeans fits perfectly when standing up but when you sit down, it digs in and makes it incredibly hard to breath.

Is there better type of jeans that will be comfortable both standing and sitting down?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Stretchy? I dunno, I think it may just be a matter of buying the correct size. They shouldn't be tight, I can always get a full hand comfortably in the waistband and have to use belts to keep them where I want them. I usually buy mid-rise jeans but I do have one pair that's waist high and it isn't uncomfortable to sit. They have to fit correctly.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Get some that fit. Problem solved. 🤷‍♀️
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Stretchy
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I really don't have the correct build for high waisted jeans. Maybe you are built more like me ? The highest I go is mid rise and am thrilled when low rise cycles back into style cuz those styles fit me much better. Levis tend to work well for me as they tend to have a larger waist. Maybe, try a few different brands or styles to see which ones tend to fit you better.
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I agree with beauty of dreams. I have 2 pairs of Levi's and they are very comfortable in the waist and not baggy everywhere else. They have all kinds of fits. They have high waisted and curvy. They are comfortable and cute.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    To quantify "stretchy", my favorite and most comfortable jeans are 4% spandex. Other pairs of jeans I don't like as much are 1% spandex.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,546 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Just to mention, they do fit when standing, a size bigger is way too big and a size smaller is just painful. It must just be the type of jeans with my body xx

In my experience, those don't seem to fit most people properly. I actually wonder if they are supposed to look good on anyone who is only standing the whole day.
  • nitalieben
    nitalieben Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I don't have issues, except the waistband gaping - wide hips and narrow waist. I expect this little extra gap is what makes my seating comfy. Perhaps a different style or a "jegging" type might be an option.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    If you're actually having trouble breathing when seated then you've probably got a size too small and would benefit for a size up. If you're exaggerating for dramatic effect and are just annoyed at that imprint of your clothes you get on your belly and the slight levels of discomfort that comes with it then yeah I get that. I love high waisted jeans/skirts/shorts, but oooh the difference between standing and sitting waist is annoying. I have been known to let my belt out a notch when sitting down for long periods of time!

Some waistbands are better than others, but finding something with a very slight elasticated waist will help. Also making sure you buy something that's not "just about big enough" standing up, but with a tiny bit of wiggle room. This isn't about going up or down a size, this is the actually how the garment fits.

Other than that, there are two things that I've found really help:
    - Posture, the straighter you sit, the less of a problem it is (and it's good for your back)
    - Get out of the chair more often and have a wander around. It'll just release the pressure and help.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    :lol:@kshama2001 I've never seen that.

...that's horrible!!

...and now I can't un-see it. :neutral:
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Try lower-waisted jeans. I find them more comfortable in general, although my main issue with high-waisted is that even if they are back in they scream '80s to me (I lived through them the first time, back in high school).
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thought of this thread last night while watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLIWF9bBY40

For different reasons, they couldn't sit in their high waisted jeans either.

I didn't know these were back. I associate them with the 80s.

That’s hilarious! But definitely not the modern day high waisted jeans trending. Here’s an example :)
    5wsazo6tjzjl.jpeg
  • SayNoToCakes
    SayNoToCakes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I'm going to just avoid those high waisted jeans for now :) Shame, all of my jeans are high waisted as I love the style :lol:
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    If Target’s Cat and Jack brand would make adult size jeans, they’d clean up.