Apple Watch Owners, Help me!

Options
Hey I just bought my new Apple Watch SE and I think the accuracy is really off? Firstly , I struggle to burn 500 cals but by JUST walking 5km it shows that I burnt 450 calories ? That’s not even the concerning part. Even when I don’t move or laying on bed, the calories burnt are increasing as I’m laying down? Is there something wrong with this watch accuracy ? Here’s a pic to see the stats

wntwa248v1fp.png

Replies

• UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    More stats to show 0da0mp8j1ar8.png
    lzgb6pasiwmd.png
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Your body burns calories all the time, just to keep you alive. Google Basal Metabolic Rate. You burn more calories through activity than you might otherwise, but actually it's surprisingly few on top of what you burn doing nothing.
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    Your body burns calories all the time, just to keep you alive. Google Basal Metabolic Rate. You burn more calories through activity than you might otherwise, but actually it's surprisingly few on top of what you burn doing nothing.

I’m very sure my bmr is around 1500-1700 . There’s no way it’s more than 2k as Apple Watch assumes.
  • dawnkirkwood18
    dawnkirkwood18 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I’m very sure my bmr is around 1500-1700 . There’s no way it’s more than 2k as Apple Watch assumes.

As a reminder BMR is what your body burns in a coma- TDEE is what you burn daily based on your activity and is higher than bmr. Your Applewatch May be off- one day isn’t going to tell you- track the data and look at trends. Did you set the info in my health correctly? Set your stride? Etc.
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options

As a reminder BMR is what your body burns in a coma- TDEE is what you burn daily based on your activity and is higher than bmr. Your Applewatch May be off- one day isn’t going to tell you- track the data and look at trends. Did you set the info in my health correctly? Set your stride? Etc.

So does Apple show TDEE or BMR as resting calories. Why is the calories increasing even when I’m laying down . I don’t know how to record in MFP if it’s showing me like 900 cals burn in a day when it used to be 500 cals max for my workouts
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

So does Apple show TDEE or BMR as resting calories. Why is the calories increasing even when I’m laying down . I don’t know how to record in MFP if it’s showing me like 900 cals burn in a day when it used to be 500 cals max for my workouts

BMR is part of TDEE.
    Your organs, your body temp regulation etc. etc. are burning cals all the time.

TDEE is the sum of everything - BMR, general actvitiy, purposeful exercise and even just the calories burned digesting your food.

Might help if you explained what precisely you are trying to use the device for, as an all day TDEE estimator or as an exercise tracker only.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Make sure to put in your current info (height, weight, age, gender) into the Apple Health app.

I have been doing comparison tracking on my Apple calories vs MFP vs straight up TDEE since early January.

The move calories are pretty reliable. In a single day you will have a possibility of slightly too high or slightly too low but over time they produce reliable results.

MFP + Apples Move Calories (via the Pacer app) give predictable results. In other words, at times my actual weight matches the weight I have adjusting based on deficit.

Apple's TDEE estimate averages about 130 calories too high. In short term this is barely noticeable. Over enough time though it means that the weight I adjust based on the those numbers is never going to match. It is not a big deal since I do not plan my eating based on Apple's total number.

My results may not be your results.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have a series 3 watch and it updated a few days ago. Today I did a walking workout that had me burning more calories on the same distance at a similar pace as before the update (about 60 calories more). I wonder if they updated something in their calculations...
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Your Apple Watch records the calories your body burns while at rest (not moving), and the calories your body burns while moving (your move calories). The total calories includes both of those.

Your body burns calories doing things like breathing, pumping blood, digesting food, thinking, etc. These are (some of the) “rest” calories on your Apple Watch. This number (which is included in the total calories number) will go up as long as you’re continuing to breathe, your heart is still beating, your brain is still alive, etc.

The “move” calories have some parameters (meaning you have to be moving a certain amount-not just brushing your hair), but the move calories account for the calories you burned doing something other than sitting on the couch/lying down. This includes workouts and other times you’re moving throughout the day (walking around the house, doing chores, other stuff).

Neither the “rest” nor the “move” calories translate directly to something on mfp.

Mfp bases your calorie goal on your level of activity not including exercise. This means all the breathing type calories you burn plus whatever you burn doing General life activity (moving around the house, showering, some walking around; chores, cooking, whatever you do for work, etc) Your closest Apple Watch translation would include your rest calories plus some portion of your move calories (although that portion would vary from day to day depending on what you actually did).

If you don’t want to link your Apple Watch to mfp and have it handle the adjustments-log your workouts on mfp using the “active” calories amount from your watch.