weight loss and sleep apnea

Options
My husband was diagnosed with fairly bad sleep apnea probably about 6 years ago. The doctor at that time told him that losing weight could potentially make it go away (as neck circumference apparently has a large bearing on it?). Since then he's gained probably almost 50lbs (well we both have lol) and now we are both committed to losing this weight.
One of his goals, if possible, is to lose enough to get off his cpap machine. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this? Did you find a correlation between your neck size and the need for the machine? Any information in your experience that you can share would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Not with sleep apnea, but losing weight cured snoring issues.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I have heard of people going off their CPAP after sufficient weight lose, and like the previous poster I can attest to my snoring lessening considerably after losing weight.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with sleep apnea when I was at my highest weight, about 200 lb at 5'2". My doctor told me I could either lose weight or go to a CPAP machine at night. I chose to lose weight, and my apnea stopped after about 30 pounds loss. Other health concerns, heart problems and knee issues, showed improvement as well.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    My husband can attest to me snoring less after losing weight. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and ignored the recommendation that I lose weight for awhile before I decided I wanted to lose for other reasons. You would have thought the excessive tiredness would have made me try to lose weight sooner, but it did not. I’m stubborn lol
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing! Out of curiosity, how close did you have to get to "normal/healthy" weight before noticing a difference?
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I snored like crazy at 284 and at 225 I don't seem to snore at all.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    I was finally diagnosed after losing 22 pounds. Mine is probably due to something else. My husband, also at a normal weight uses a CPAP too. I wish I didn't have to, but losing weight won't change my apnea. Here's hoping for your husband!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    I've read others here say their OSA went away with weight loss (not sure how many pounds). Mine did not (even at BMI 20), but I think it improved *slightly* - CPAP pressure prescription was reduced a bit. (Sooo many other benefits, though!)

My ill-informed impression was that it is not just neck size (interior/exterior) that correlates OSA with obesity, but perhaps also things like pressure on ribcage/diaphragm from excess weight in torso.

Hope your husband has a good result!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 40+ lbs ago. I've lost the weight but I will still snore without the mask so... Sucks but I sleep better with it now.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It was pretty bad at 210 lbs and at 176 it is much improved although not perfect YET. I have another 40ish lbs to lose though.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I lost 150 so yes, my neck lost fat and got smaller. Losing weight cured my sleep apnea. I cannot tell you how many pounds it took to cure OSA because I wasn’t retested until I got to goal. That’s probably different for everyone. Some OSA is genetic (structural) and will not Be cured with weight loss. Doctor doesn’t really know which it is until you’re retested after weight loss.