Losing lots- diet or exercise first?

Options
Hello!
Forgive me for asking this again especially because I feel like I’ve asked it before lol - but for anybody who has had to lose a lot (50 plus) did you focus on diet first and then exercise once you got to a certain weight? I’m having such a hard time and continuously starting over because I’m afraid of lifting weights and not losing. I know that that’s not really possible for women (to bulk) but I just feel stuck. Curious to hear any stories of women who had to lose a lot and where you started and what got the ball rolling. I’ve lost weight before but quarantine has me at my highest weight and I’m feeling like I’ve tried it all! Thanks!

Replies

• empressjasmin
    empressjasmin Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This makes sense!
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Forgive me for asking this again especially because I feel like I’ve asked it before lol - but for anybody who has had to lose a lot (50 plus) did you focus on diet first and then exercise once you got to a certain weight? I’m having such a hard time and continuously starting over because I’m afraid of lifting weights and not losing. I know that that’s not really possible for women (to bulk) but I just feel stuck. Curious to hear any stories of women who had to lose a lot and where you started and what got the ball rolling. I’ve lost weight before but quarantine has me at my highest weight and I’m feeling like I’ve tried it all! Thanks!

What got the ball rolling is picking something and sticking to it consistently OP. Either way will work, but only if you commit. What method can/will you be able to commit to? What is the lifestyle choice that makes the most sense in your life?
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »

What got the ball rolling is picking something and sticking to it consistently OP. Either way will work, but only if you commit. What method can/will you be able to commit to? What is the lifestyle choice that makes the most sense in your life?

I struggle the most with diet (at times) so I’d say that it may be easiest for me to stick with getting my diet together and being consistent with that. I am good about consistently taking a walk or getting strength training in at home, however, I know that’s not helpful if my diet is poor.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

I struggle the most with diet (at times) so I’d say that it may be easiest for me to stick with getting my diet together and being consistent with that. I am good about consistently taking a walk or getting strength training in at home, however, I know that’s not helpful if my diet is poor.

My best advice is eating food you actually enjoy and will be a part of maintenance. And to find staple foods that fill you up to keep you satiated. Be sure to weigh your food with a food scale for awhile. It is highly impactful in saving you months, if not years, of dieting with no results.
  • empressjasmin
    Options

My best advice is eating food you actually enjoy and will be a part of maintenance. And to find staple foods that fill you up to keep you satiated. Be sure to weigh your food with a food scale for awhile. It is highly impactful in saving you months, if not years, of dieting with no results.

That makes sense. Thank you! 😊
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    diet - I have lost lots of weight in my life without a minute of exercise. I am exercising now for health, and calorie burn is a perk.

A popular expression out there is "You cannot outrun a bad diet". <3
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Both for me. First-being healthy means doing some cardiovascular exercise and some resistance training a few times a week. So you will want to be working towards fitting that into your life regardless of your weight loss goals.

The bonus is that exercise burns some calories so it gives you a bit more freedom in the diet department. By “a bit more freedom” I mean a couple hundred calories - which can be the difference between adhering to a calorie deficit or not.

Another bonus is that doing some exercise (particularly heavy resistance training) will help you keep muscle as you lose. That’s important for having that “toned” look people seek.

If you are in a calorie deficit-you will lose weight over the long haul. Your weight will fluctuate for a bazillion reasons - including increased activity. If you are in a calorie deficit-you will continue to burn fat regardless of whether your scale weight is temporarily higher.

Find the balance that allows you to maintain a calorie deficit with reasonable ease and includes exercise. That means you’re not hungry all the time, or depriving yourself of anything tasty and doing workouts that are reasonable for your current level (meaning not going 0 to 3 hours a day at the gym). Finding food and activity you enjoy doing are the keys.

You’re going to be doing this for life. Make sure whatever you’re doing is something you can see yourself doing forever. That may mean losing more slowly or eating more carbs than someone on IG thinks you should, but consistently doing something is the most important.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Hello!

What got the ball rolling for me was a "wellness fair" through work that showed me I was far from well -- just shy of stats that would have doctors prescribing blood pressure and cholesterol meds, and in the pre-diabetes range for blood sugar. I called a health care adviser that the folks at the wellness fair referred me to, and she suggested I try MFP, and I began logging immediately. So I guess I would have to say I focused on diet first, but I incorporated extra walking pretty quickly as well (I think it was later the same day, but certainly within the week).

I hadn't been exercising regularly for a good while, so just adding extra walking seemed like a good place to start. What I did was instead of walking to the closest subway stop, I walked to one stop further on, then two stops, then three stops, and occasionally four stops (which was a good 40 minutes or more).

Then I started adding long walks on the weekend as well. Finally after about three months and about 25 lbs lost, I joined a gym and started lifting and taking various aerobic classes. I found a local yoga studio that I would go to occasionally and revived my mostly abandoned home yoga practice.

Lifting weights will not keep you from losing weight (other than in the very short through water retention for muscle repair masking fat loss), so long as you are in a calorie deficit.
  • Noodlesprout
    Noodlesprout Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Obviously diet is the primary factor in weight loss.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Ummm.... I take offense to women not being able to bulk and (I’m not one but) every single body builder woman out there would take offense to such a comment. You aren’t going to bulk though unless you are actively trying to.

That said, weight loss is about calories in vs calories out. Cardio and weight lifting are fantastic for health reasons.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Oops, network problem, duplicate post. See below.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I had over 50 pounds to lose and started exercising right away. Among its many benefits, exercise is crucial to my mental health.

When I started weightlifting, I did retain water and my scale did go up initially, but I lost all that and more within a few weeks.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    What you gots is functional muscles for the WIN. @springlering62
  • AlexiaC47
    AlexiaC47 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    you should do both. I do not believe women cannot bulk up, but you will not. You are not a professional body builder (otherwise you wouldn't be asking). I think "women cannot bulk up accidentally" is more accurate.

for me exercise is key and it is 50/50 diet and exercise.
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Lots of helpful advice here 😊
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I literally started both “diet” and “exercise” on day 1. Diet was tracking in MFP. Exercise was strength training with a PT 2x and walking. I started at barely 1/4 mi/day and got to a 5k within 2 months. Strength training helped me function better and made me happier with what I saw when I got to goal 150 lbs and 2.5 yrs later. Still maintaining, still strength training, still walking, added biking and swimming, 6 1/2 yrs now.