Eating on the job.

Options
Lately I am finding myself bored at work because I do not have much to do. Because of this I seem to be overeating while I am there. I leave the office feeling absolutely ill everyday because I keep myself occupied by eating. I know this is unhealthy (and I usually don't even make healthy choices because I let the cravings get to me) but I don't know how to stop. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this? I feel like I think about food all day because I have nothing else to do, it is really frustrating and is making me gain weight when I am trying to lose.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    can you get up and take a walk when you get the urge? Maybe go "visit" a co-worker, or walk down the stairs and back.

Another thing to do would be to plan your snacks, and stick to it. So, for example, you can plan a snack at 10am, lunch at 12.30 and another snack at 3. And stick to it.

Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are bringing healthy snacks with you.

I keep unsweetened applesauce, snack size popcorn, and plain instant oatmeal in my desk. In the company fridge I keep carrot and celery sticks - I have absolutely NO reason to use the snack machine at work EVER.
  • dvarrassi12
    Options
    I also get bored at work, but I've found that bringing a healthy snack really helps. It's even nice to take a small walk while eating it! My office is right next to the vending machines as well, so you know if that works for me it can work for anyone!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a snack, just be sure to bring something healthy to munch on like grapes, mixed nuts, dried fruit, a babybel cheese or some combination of those :)
  • Amysgetnfit
    Options
    I bring snacks, space them out throughout the day, try to make it stuff I can graze on, nuts, cheerios, carrots, bell pepper slices, apples,pretzels, popcorn.... gets my bordom chew on without a ton of calories
    I pack my lunch in a lunch box & Plan my snacks everynight
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Lately I am finding myself bored at work because I do not have much to do. Because of this I seem to be overeating while I am there. I leave the office feeling absolutely ill everyday because I keep myself occupied by eating. I know this is unhealthy (and I usually don't even make healthy choices because I let the cravings get to me) but I don't know how to stop. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this? I feel like I think about food all day because I have nothing else to do, it is really frustrating and is making me gain weight when I am trying to lose.

Thanks in advance.

i work at a power plant, sometimes busy, sometimes really quiet. what kills me is that i do 12 hour shifts, on on those quiet days i would make numerous trips to the snack machine.

to help curb my appitite i changed my meals from breakfast, lunch, etc, to time frames. please see my diary to understand. i try and limit what i eat by time. today i had my coffee break a little early, and i knew i couldn't eat anything until at the earliest noon. i also started bringing my own snacks, fruit, granola bars, trail mix, etc. but most importantly, i learned that just because i brought a lot of food with me, did not mean i had to finish it.

i also pre-log my food the night before. i know what i'm bringing with me to work, i know what i'm having for breakfast, so it helps me control my intake throught the course of the day. i usually even put in dinner.

you have the willpower to control what goes into your body.
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just take healthy snacks...and carry no cash....lol
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bring your own snacks. I keep homemade trail mix and those 100-calorie bags of cookies and crackers in my desk, so i have no excuse to get anything out of the vending machines.
  • Sjennings13
    Sjennings13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have started bringing in some healthy snacks and made sure there was nothing else in my office that I didn't need.. I also do not bring in any cash with me so that the vending machines can not tempt me! Of course I am new with this also, but so far it is working for me..
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Lately I am finding myself bored at work because I do not have much to do.

Huh? I've never heard of this phenomenon. Or are you speaking a foreign language?
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Okay, my serious answer now. I keep fruit cups, crackers, low-fat popcorn, etc at my desk. I also bring in, on a mostly daily basis, healthy snacks like yogurt and fruit and cut veggies.
  • ginique
    ginique Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Like others have stated, I tackle this by only keeping low-calorie snacks in my office, and not very many of them at that. Typically though, I'm too busy to even think about snacking. I get to working and seeing clients, then before I know it, it's time for lunch. :)

Good luck to you!
  • ellepottsie
    ellepottsie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I am trying to bring more healthy snacks with me so I can eat those. The worst part for me is that we always have a lot of food brought into the office (pastries, cookies, etc.) I have the hardest time avoiding those.