Protein powder recommendations

Options
Hi everyone! I've started running in the morning and think I would benefit from a protein shake right after the run. Any suggestions? Also, I'm not a huge fan of milk, would almond milk work just as well?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that Jillian Michaels protein powder tastes disgusting, even with added fruit...I would avoid hers!!
  • SummerHuizenga
    Options
    SHAKEOLOGY ALL THE WAY!
  • no_where1976
    no_where1976 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the Pure Protein 100% Whey Vanilla; I get it from Walmart it's around $18 and I mix mine with coconut milk b/c I don't like milk. I love to have them after I work out. I haven't tried the almond milk yet but I will when I tire of the coconut and see how I like that. I bought a shaker mug and just add the coconut milk and a scoop and shake away.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I use optimum nutrition - double chocolate flavor - with almond milk - so yum!
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I use the Jillian Michaels and use it with soy milk. It tastes really bad with just the water. Then again just about every protein shake will if you just add water. I've heard Gold Standard Whey is really popular. What most people find annoying with Jillian Michaels protein is that there is only 15g of protein per scoop as opposed to about 24g in most protein powders. What's different is Jillian Michaels had 100 calories per scoop. I would still recommend Gold Standard though.
  • cjasins
    Options
    Trutein it tastes great with water or milk. They have several flavors to choose from.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    find any generic, unflavored brand. i just use a quarter scoop of it in my post work out fruit smoothie.

4-6 ounces fruit juice
    1/4 cup vanilla fat free yogurt
    1/4 cup frozen berries
    1/2 banana
    1/4 scoop of protein powder
    dash of salt

blend and enjoy the delicious flavor
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

I use the same. It's definitely yum. I'm also a huge fan of trueprotein.com.
  • njoithomp
    Options
    I love the Jay Robb brand protein and his products are pretty high quality as well (I mix with non-fat milk for consistency). Or I also use Isagenix but you can only get that online. I like the Isagenix vanilla but its not very sweet so you may want to add Stevia and the creamy chocolate is really good on its own. And Isagenix I can mix with water and its still creamy adn thick and "shakey".
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

I use the same. It's definitely yum. I'm also a huge fan of trueprotein.com.

re ON; I have used this one as well. Very good. Im currently using Dymatize Elite Gourmet Vanilla. It works well in strawberry-blueberry shakes that I like to create.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I love Ultimate Nutrition chocolate creme flavoured. Absolutely love it :)
  • simonbastos
    Options
    I guess, hemm the good protein shake for anyone's to take an ISO source of protein. But everyone knows about that topic I guess. The protein just regain your energy ans repair your muscle, but if you're juste running, it's better for you to take BCAA cuz it's a lower source of calories and it's better for you. ;) keep trainning !! PS the assimilation of protein is better with water or pinapple juice !! but there's sugar in the juice so it's up to you :P sorry for my english im french haha !!
  • gibbonm
    gibbonm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love Extreme Nutrition Pro-6 Banana flavour!

1 scoop pro-6 banana
    200ml water
    200ml milk
    2x handfulls berries

Blend away!!

makes nearly 2 pints

Lovely
  • CarlitaK
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Appreciate your suggestions.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    GNC Wheybolic 60...I only have 1 scoop, which is 20g of protein (serving is 3 scoops/60g)

I mix mine with yogurt, berries, some cream cheese, almond milk....just depends on the day... chocolate and cookies n cream are best....but I have heard banana cream is awesome too!
  • routerguy666
    Options
    I like

pGNC1-2332236t300x300.jpg

Crazy amount of protein for the calories and not a lot of carbs. Tastes fine in water as well.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    SHAKEOLOGY ALL THE WAY!

Shakeology is amazing! But it's not a protein shake. It's a meal replacement =)

And I use muscle milk. When I mix it with milk, it taste just like chocolate milk!
  • sharper43
    Options
    Shakeology has 18 grams of whey protein. It's a protein shake PLUS SOME.

It can be a meal replacement or an after workout shake. People use it to fit their needs.

If you are a female and you are doing serious weight lifting/cross training, you shouldn't be going over 30 grams of protein at a time. Your body can't take in anymore than that at a time. if you are doing cardio or not as serious, you should be consuming less. (my personal trainer told me that when he found out I was taking GNC Wheybolic 60! 60 grams in a serving and I was wondering why I was gaining so much weight lol)

oh and if you mix with skim milk, you add another 9 grams of protein = 27 grams of protein
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I am loving the protein powder I just bought-- Sunwarrior (http://www.sunwarrior.com).
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Shakeology has 18 grams of whey protein. It's a protein shake PLUS SOME.

It can be a meal replacement or an after workout shake. People use it to fit their needs.

If you are a female and you are doing serious weight lifting/cross training, you shouldn't be going over 30 grams of protein at a time. Your body can't take in anymore than that at a time. if you are doing cardio or not as serious, you should be consuming less. (my personal trainer told me that when he found out I was taking GNC Wheybolic 60! 60 grams in a serving and I was wondering why I was gaining so much weight lol)

oh and if you mix with skim milk, you add another 9 grams of protein = 27 grams of protein

I am not debating the awesomeness that shakeology is. I sometimes use it as my protein/dinner after my workouts. It's a great drink that I always highly recommend to people. I am just saying it's not strictly a protein shake.