Cooking with Oil

Options
How do I know how many calories to count for cooking with Olive Oil? I seared a piece of salmon in about a tablespoon. Do I count the entire amount in my daily calories?

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    I try to use the necessary amount to accomplish what I am doing and then track those full calories. I bet in the case of your salmon, with a nice hot pan, you likely could have oiled the pan and seared the fish with some amount less than the TB (because the fish has natural fats to begin with). For something like broccoli, which absorbs the oil while it cooks, I use 2 TB garlic olive oil to finish sear 10 - 12 ounce broccoli and then serve to two of us.
  • trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    you can get oil spray that’s 1 calorie per spray and i recommend it
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »

It's only 1 calorie if you spray for a fraction of a second. I think in practice most people are spraying for 2 to 3 seconds. It's still most likely less oil than most people use when pouring oil into a pan.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I can spray for more than one second. When done, it looks like it could be more like one teaspoon or more. I’m kinda good at eyeballing now.
  • kika5105
    kika5105 Posts: 28 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I count my olive oil when I use it even if some is left behind on the pan, or what ever im using it for. I just count as much as I use which is normally 1tbs
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I also use spray oil. I tare the scale with the can on it, spray, then weigh. It usually is less than the minimum my scale registers, in which case I log 1g.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options

It's only 1 calorie if you spray for a fraction of a second. I think in practice most people are spraying for 2 to 3 seconds. It's still most likely less oil than most people use when pouring oil into a pan.

Depends on where and what kind you have, some are not aerosol so are 1 cal per squirt. I tend to use anywhere between 6-12 squirts of the one we use.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil spray for pan or when I use my air fryer. It's so minimal I don't even count it. If I pour like a tablespoon from a bottle, I count it as a tbsp.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Fat means flavour. And pan cooking something with literally no oil doesn't taste good.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    As you are happy to estimate "about" a tablespoon then just deduct "about" the amount left in the pan/on the grill and not eaten.
    If you don't eat it then it doesn't count.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Honestly I just log it all even if there is oil left in the pan afterwards. Everything's an estimate and I'm not losing weight faster than expected, so the calories are probably absorbed into slight logging errors elsewhere. Although, I don't fry using fats very often anyway, I tend to find most things fry well enough on the hotplate without. Unless I'm adding it for flavour or if it really needs it (like, you know, salmon, hmm) I'll go without.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I would log the whole tablespoon just in case.