question: for the ladies

Options
ChristineMarie89
ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
well i have a problem so here it is:
i havent lost weight in my bewbs but i have around the band my bras still fit in the bewbs but not in the band. i need a new bra but im not sure what size i am and when i look online to try and figure out how to figure out what size i am i find a million different ways. im not letting some weird effin stranger idk measure me lol so the question is: can someone tell me the right way to measure my bra size???
THX :D
forgot to add the closest place to buy a bra would be catalogue or walmart i live literally in the middle of nowhere n walmarts onlyu about 45 min away lol and honestly who knows if the ppl there know how to measure :P

Replies

• Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i always thought it was inches around you band area. am I wrong?
  • megamoo04
    Options
    i have always heard you measure at your highest point, like where you boobs stick out the most or where your nipple is and that should give you a correct measure.

Maybe go into stores and try on different sizes.
  • rjbrowne82
    rjbrowne82 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It's really not that bad having going into Vickys and having someone measure you. U keep your shirt on. Its kindof hard to get an accurate reading when you do it yourself
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    go be fitted for a bra ... not sure of your size but Lane Bryant for bigger girls or Victoria's Secret for smaller girls ... it is so much better having a bra that really fits.
  • ChristineMarie89
    Options
    i always thought it was inches around you band area. am I wrong?
    no your not wrong but the band size makes the cup size different too for example a 36c would have a bigger cup size then a 34 c but ther both c'S lol
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It really isnt embarressing having them measure you. You dont have to be naked, they just do it over the clothes
  • Rtrue18
    Options
    Agreed, go get fitted it takes 2 seconds and you keep your top on. Its just a girl who holds up measuring tape to you, dont feel akward and its worth it to know your size.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Measure your band size:

Keeping the measuring tape parallel with the ground, measure around your bra directly under your bust after expelling all air from your lungs - you want this measurement to be as small as possible. Round all fractional measurements to the nearest whole number.

If the measurement is even, add 4"
    If the measurement is odd, add 5"

Measure your cup size:

Standing straight, with your arms at your side, measure at the fullest part of your bust (while wearing a non-padded bra) making sure the measuring tape is parallel with the ground and not binding.
    Round all fractional measurements to the nearest whole number.

Calculate your bra size:

Subtract your band measurement (step 1) from your cup measurement (step 2). Generally, for each inch in difference, the cup goes up by one size. See the cup size conversion chart here.

Example:
    Step 1: 34" under measurement +4" = 38" band
    Step 2: 40" over measurement
    Step 3: 40" - 38" = 2" or Cup "B"
    Your size would be 38B

If The Difference Is: Your Standard Cup Size Is:
    0"-1/2" (1.3 cm) AA
    1/2"- 1" (2.6 cm) A
    2" (5.1 cm) B
    3" (7.6 cm) C
    4" (10.2 cm) D
    5" (12.7 cm) DD * or E *
    6" (15.2 cm) DDD * or F *
    7" (17.8 cm) G *
    8" (20.3 cm) H *
    9" (22.9 cm) I *
    10" (25.4 cm) J *
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    agree-- be fitted. :) I also have large.. "girls"'. Not as great as some may think.! I am sure they will decrease with my weight loss..much to my husband's dismay.
  • imcsqrd
    Options
    I solved that problem with the Genie Bra. Sort of blew off the infomercial on it, but my daughter kept on me about after hearing yet another complaint about a poor fitting bra and the annoying trying on 20 to find one half ways decent fit at the store. Was skeptical, but made the plunge and bought some. One of the best purchases I've ever made! Sizing is simple - choose your shirt size. So, if you wear a large in womens shirts, order large. If XL, then order XL. You get it. They are like a sports bra but softer and not so smashing. I got the inserts to avoid the high beams when it's chilly and can not believe how comfortable they are and how soft. Almost forget I have a bra on!!!
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Ok... I recently (like 4 years ago) had a breast augmentation and went threw hell and back trying to figure this out.. so I totally understand where you are coming from this is the most accurate way I have found of measuring and will usually get you in a bra that can just be manipulated here or there with tightening the straps and such... Good luck!

1. Measure around your rib cage, right under your chest where your breast crease is taking care to keep it straight all the way around. Add 5 inches to an odd number and 4 to an even number, ie if it says 27inch than add 5 that makes you a 32 band.

2. Now measure one boob from one end to the other, you are measuring your cup size so measure from where it starts (near the armpit) all the way around til you get to the end of the boob imagine its a bra cup so armpit bit, across your nips to the cleavage, like a semi circle or arc.
    If you are 9.5 as a guide you will measure a full C cup.
    7'=A 8'=B 9'=C 10'=D 11'=DD 12'=E 13'=F and so on!
  • dmcgoon
    dmcgoon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    start at the base of your breast bone and measure around and add two inches. If you go to www.victoriasecret.com and go to the bra section and go to the size chart it can tell you how to do. I am very shy but it really wasn't that bad being fitted for a bra.
  • Kaycurrier
    Options
    professional at this lol

wear a bra that is not padded when doing this

measure around the bottom of your bust, band
    is the number is even add 4 inches, if the number is odd add 5 inches

if you are 32 inches your would be a 36 if you are 33 inches you would be a 38 get it?

okay then measure around your fullest part of yor bust

snug but not binding, kinda tight tho

for every inche sdidference there is between the numbers you add a cup size

so if you measure 33 inches around your band area adn 35 inches around the fullest part of bust then you would be a 38 band size with a B cup because it is two inches difference
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The right way to measure is to first wrap the measuring tape around your torso under your boobs. Then measure around your boobs. Every inch over what your torso is is a cup size. So if your torso measures 34 inches and around your boobs it's 37 then you are a 34 C. Good luck! Or just go to Victoria Sectret and they will do the same thing.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I'd go to Victorias Secret to have it done.

I have several times, painless.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I get the value of being measured but it's never worked for me - they tell me my size and it's always way off. To me, it's just easier to go to your favorite place to pick up bras and try a bunch on until you find the right one... it might be a tad embarrassing for you but no one really cares what you're doing because we all have to do it.

Not sure if this helps but for me, I went down a cup size first because I wasn't quite ready to go down a band size. Then when I went down a band size, I had to go back up in the cup size. It's crazy...
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all replies, but the measurement of under your boobs (your ribcage) is the number and the measurement of the 'fullness' of your bust is the letter on your size.
    So if you're a 38DD then that is how it equates.

professional fitting is by far the best thing as they all vary depending on make etc, and it's best for your boobs to be in a well fitting bra. Well done losing weight!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    If there is somewhere nearby that you can get measured, have it done!! It will totally help. If you really don't have anywhere close, there are some good tips in this thread. But, you still might have to just try a couple different sizes from WalMart till you find the right one.

My daughter lives in a rural town and the nearest mall is about an hour away. They don't have Victoria's Secret there. So, she had to take some measurements and then trial and error different ones from WM.
  • ChristineMarie89
    Options
    I get the value of being measured but it's never worked for me - they tell me my size and it's always way off. To me, it's just easier to go to your favorite place to pick up bras and try a bunch on until you find the right one... it might be a tad embarrassing for you but no one really cares what you're doing because we all have to do it.

Not sure if this helps but for me, I went down a cup size first because I wasn't quite ready to go down a band size. Then when I went down a band size, I had to go back up in the cup size. It's crazy...
    has nothing to do with embarrasing has to do with the closest lets say victorias secret is at least an hr and a half away lol
    i was a 38ddd or in some 38e but now the cup fit but na the band ive lost 17 so far(7here) and my bands lose n i cant jus go down to like a 36ddd cuz then the cup size will be too small lol i already had delimas finding bras because obviously bras arent made to accomadate ppl over c's :/ lol
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    well i have a problem so here it is:
    i havent lost weight in my bewbs but i have around the band my bras still fit in the bewbs but not in the band. i need a new bra but im not sure what size i am and when i look online to try and figure out how to figure out what size i am i find a million different ways. im not letting some weird effin stranger idk measure me lol so the question is: can someone tell me the right way to measure my bra size???
    THX :D
    forgot to add the closest place to buy a bra would be catalogue or walmart i live literally in the middle of nowhere n walmarts onlyu about 45 min away lol and honestly who knows if the ppl there know how to measure :P

Take a tape measure around your rib cage under your bra and that is your band size. for your cup size measure your boobs at their largest point. Usually across the nipples. For every inch between your band size and the second measurement is a cup so for a 3 inch difference would be a c cup and so on.