Anyone else doing this by feel rather than weight?

Options
I dont own a set of scales I haven't done in years but I know I'm above my happy weight by my body shape and size and hope to be able to judge progress by feel and if things get looser on me. Ideally I'd like to go from my current UK 12-14 back to a UK 10, maybe 8-10 regardless of what that means in actual weight. Is that a reasonable goal and does anyone else track their success by their size?

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Sure, that sounds like a reasonable goal to me. Could I do it that way? Nope..I'm too data driven for that. It would make me nuts flying by the seat of my pants and not having even a basic idea of how much I lost...lol. if that works for you, though, thats the only important thing here.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    xtineart wrote: »
    I dont own a set of scales I haven't done in years but I know I'm above my happy weight by my body shape and size and hope to be able to judge progress by feel and if things get looser on me. Ideally I'd like to go from my current UK 12-14 back to a UK 10, maybe 8-10 regardless of what that means in actual weight. Is that a reasonable goal and does anyone else track their success by their size?

Do you already own clothes in UK 8 and 10 you can use as a gauge?

As said above, sizes can vary widely among brands (and even within brands >.< )
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    My concern would be that a comfortable size in one brand might be too small in another.

Using the rationalization I’ve used in the past, I would (and have!!!!) convinced myself I hadn’t put on weight by buying the larger brand in the “same” size.

Walmart is particularly generous with sizes, as is Eddie Bauer and Chico’s. Guess what my closet was full of?

Then there’s vanity sizing. That’s a whole contentious animal I won’t get into here for fear of going down via flamethrowers.

Is vanity sizing really that contentious? I remember one thread where one person was misunderstanding the whole point of it, but may have missed other threads.
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Regarding vanity sizing yes I still own quite a lot of things that are too small for me right now and some things that aren't really vanity sized such as bra sizing. I definitely want to get a cup or two smaller, if only just for comfort while running 🏃‍♂️
  • AlexiaC47
    AlexiaC47 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A scale will keep you honest and is more accurate. You can tell yourself clothes "feel" ok, while you are inching up. A scale will also indicate if you start going the wrong way. Personally I wouldn't do it. Obviously if it works for you, than go for it.
    why not a blended approach? buy a scale and use it once every 2 weeks or every month? then you can compare to the feel version
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I'm a data nerd and a scale person, and the scale has always served me well. My wife is the exact opposite and has been dieting on and off for yeeeaaarrrss by gut feel, based on how her clothes fit. I can't even tell you how many times she's claimed she was losing mega huge amounts of weight based on a pair of jeans getting looser, only to finally get on the scale and find out she'd lost 1 or 2 pounds in 4 months or something.

Scale are honest.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    It worked for me for the first 22 pounds, simply because like you, I didn't own a scale. But as @AnnPT77 suggested, it's really easy to have it go too quickly. One part of doing the way you suggested that I liked was that I committed to the process and stuck to it. I weighed my foods, but didn't get emotions involved in every scale movement, up or down because there were none. I had previously become upset and discouraged at what were natural weight fluctuations up, and I would resign myself to being someone whose body "wants to be this size." When I took the process of weighing and measuring as a fun science project, the weight came off. I didn't weigh myself until 4 months later when I was able to take my biggest pair of jeans and shimmy out of them without unbuttoning them.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Me, been a while since I weighed and really don't care what I weigh. I've never had someone say "wow, you look heavy!"
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    No, I'm really motivated by the scales. If you're happy about it and it works for you though, then go for it.