I'm not gaining weight

Options
I've been trying to put on some weight + fat to support muscle growth. I eat around 2500 calories a day. I workout 6 days a week (cardio + lifting). On some days, i eat 5000+ calories but my weight isn't increasing. I've actually been losing weight!! What's the problem?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    For how long have you been eating at this level without gaining weight?

For how long have you been logging consistently every day? How do you measure your portions?

What is your height, weight, and activity level?
  • timahxx
    timahxx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 female. 160cm and I weigh 50kg. I'm very active. I workout 6-7 days a week. I've been eating like this or 5-6 months now and i've been losing weight. I log my food everyday and i measure using measuring cups.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    How much have you lost in the last 120 days? That would help determine your current deficit.

Some people seem to be highly reactive to increased calories meaning that when they eat more they move more. It is not just exercise it is NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenisis) which is everyday movement and for some people excessive fidgeting.

What is your workout schedule? On your 7 day weeks are you at least taking a fairly light day for rest? Light meaning a non cardio non strength activity like a stroll in the park.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    If you're only using cups it's possible that you're overestimating your calories in, with calorie dense foods this could be a big factor. Would you be willing to open your diary up for us to have a look at, it can be helpful to troubleshoot something 'obvious'.

How much have you lost in the 5/6 months?

Edit: honestly, for a very active 22 year old at 50kg, 2500kcals doesn't sound like a ridiculously large amount. It could just be that you need to just regularly eat more calories.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You're burning more calories than you eat and need to eat more. Also, weighing is more accurate than measuring.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your intake on here? Weighing and measuring your food? That can help you hit your goals and not miss your goal. Ultimately though if you aren't gaining, you aren't eating enough so find a way to get more calories in. Or you can cut down on the cardio a bit to help you.

You need to be in a consistent surplus to gain weight, not just one day of eating a lot.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Oh and about your occasional 5000 calorie days... the 3500 calorie per pound gets murkier with increased activity and TEF. I have, at times, eaten enough to gain 2 pounds (7000 calories of surplus) over 4 days and could never find more than a half pound on the scale.

If you are losing you are obviously in a deficit. The extra 2500 calories here and there may just be enough to counter some of it.

I just ran your TDEE and even just at "Very Active" your maintenance calorie requirement is 2441. At "Extremely Active" your calorie requirement is 2651. You are likely even higher. Extremely is a 1.9 multiplier. I am 50 and I am at regularly over 2.

That is why it would be helpful to know how much you have lost in the last 4 months. We can calculate your average daily deficit. 120 days is likely going to give the most precise answer. More than that runs into habit changes. Less may not capture enough if you are losing slowly.
  • timahxx
    timahxx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    How much have you lost in the last 120 days? That would help determine your current deficit.

Some people seem to be highly reactive to increased calories meaning that when they eat more they move more. It is not just exercise it is NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenisis) which is everyday movement and for some people excessive fidgeting.

What is your workout schedule? On your 7 day weeks are you at least taking a fairly light day for rest? Light meaning a non cardio non strength activity like a stroll in the park.

I've lost about 5 kgs.

So I start Monday with 15-20 mins cardio + weights then the second day "Tuesday" I go for a jog or a hike - about 40-50 mins. The following day "Wednesday" I repeat what i did on Monday, "Thursday" is also just a jog and so on.

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    OP, eat more calories than you burn. it really is that simple. if you're not gaining of if you're losing, eat more or eat more calorie-dense foods.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    timahxx wrote: »

I've lost about 5 kgs.

So I start Monday with 15-20 mins cardio + weights then the second day "Tuesday" I go for a jog or a hike - about 40-50 mins. The following day "Wednesday" I repeat what i did on Monday, "Thursday" is also just a jog and so on.

So, those numbers (5 kgs loss in 120 days) are saying an average deficit of about 300 kcals a day (if somebody wants to check my math, please do; it's late where I am and I'm not used to working in kgs). I'd try boosting your intake to 3000 kcal using your current logging methods (since the deficit was calculated using your current logging methods), and continue to do your occasional 5000+ plus days using your current logging methods.

Or get a scale and start the whole process from scratch.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to put on some weight + fat to support muscle growth. I eat around 2500 calories a day. I workout 6 days a week (cardio + lifting). On some days, i eat 5000+ calories but my weight isn't increasing. I've actually been losing weight!! What's the problem?

2500 is not enough for you. Especially for muscle growth. I think you’re moving more with all the extra food and so your NEAT levels are going up. You probably need to eat atleast 3000-3200 calories. I’m 27, F, 5’ 4”/162cm and I’m eating 2400-2600 calories without much exercise except for walking, yoga and Pilates now. You definitely need to eat more.
  • NovusDies
    edited October 2020
    Options

I've lost about 5 kgs.

So, those numbers (5 kgs loss in 120 days) are saying an average deficit of about 300 kcals a day (if somebody wants to check my math, please do; it's late where I am and I'm not used to working in kgs). I'd try boosting your intake to 3000 kcal using your current logging methods (since the deficit was calculated using your current logging methods), and continue to do your occasional 5000+ plus days using your current logging methods.

Or get a scale and start the whole process from scratch.

OP, if you are having 2 5k days a month your average TDEE is 2999. If you have more or less than that and you want help let me know.

• Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Scale down the cardio for a while or eat more calories.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I wish I had your problem
  • thakurhimanshi815
    thakurhimanshi815 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Consult with any Dietitian. They will give you a proper diet chart.