Lose weight before 2021 !!

Options

eqbsm6dch0ga.jpeg

Hello! Hope everyone’s weight loss goals have been great! I am Aidah, and my height is 164cm (5ft 4cm) and currently weighing at 79kg (174lbs).

It’s a lot right for a girl my height... this has been my heaviest this year and perhaps it’s due to my stress eating during self-isolation and the lack of physical activity.

I attached a recent photo of me (from 3 days ago) but it doesn’t make me look fat enough... but I know I’m overweight :(

While 2020 has been pretty sad, I was thinking to make the last few months count!

My goal is to lose 9kg (20lbs) before I embark on a new year! So each month, the goal is to lose 3kg (around 6lbs)!

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Hello and what a great aim you have for the last few months of 2020.

Be aware that whilst you may lose a reasonable amount of weight initially, it may not be consistent. To lose 6lbs a week, means sustaining a rate of 1.5lb a week, whereas you'll have fluctuations for all sorts of reasons. I don't want to put a dampener on your enthusiasm, but if you find your rate of weight loss is slowing down (or even increasing, temporarily) keep plugging away and, over time, your general trend will continue downwards.

All the best with your goal.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    eqbsm6dch0ga.jpeg

Hello! Hope everyone’s weight loss goals have been great! I am Aidah, and my height is 164cm (5ft 4cm) and currently weighing at 79kg (174lbs).

It’s a lot right for a girl my height... this has been my heaviest this year and perhaps it’s due to my stress eating during self-isolation and the lack of physical activity.

I attached a recent photo of me (from 3 days ago) but it doesn’t make me look fat enough... but I know I’m overweight :(

While 2020 has been pretty sad, I was thinking to make the last few months count!

My goal is to lose 9kg (20lbs) before I embark on a new year! So each month, the goal is to lose 3kg (around 6lbs)!

Hi Aidah! It’s great that you’ve decided to embark on this journey before 2021. I’m abit confused about your height because 162 cm is 5’ 4” inches so wonder what happened with the maths?! Lol.

Well here’s a few tips from me:

1. Set a reasonable goal- 9 kg seems quite aggressive so why don’t you aim to lose 5-6 kg instead? That’s still roughly 1lb per week and up to 2 kg a month which is much more attainable and less likely to cause rebound weight gain.

2. Make small sustainable changes- remember this is a lifestyle change not just a diet. This could be walking more instead of driving everywhere. Just try and increase your NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis). Or eating 1 bar of chocolate instead of 2. Drinking water instead of soda.

3. Eat more protein- you want to maintain as much muscle as possible. 0.8 g- 1g per pound of goal body weight is fine.

4. Only eat foods you like- nothing wrong with trying and experimenting with new foods but don’t force yourself to eat something you hate.

5. Find an exercise you love and stick to it- could be walking, yoga, Pilates, dvd workouts, weights, cycling, swimming, the list goes on. Something with resistance training would be good 2x per week to maintain (or build if you’re a newbie) muscle mass. There’s a section on the best strength programmes in the fitness section. You can even do body weight workouts too.

6. Expect that it won’t be linear- download a weight trending app it will help a lot! Your weight will most likely go up during your TOM/ovulation so don’t freak out because it’s normal.

7. Don’t cut any foods out cold turkey- unless you have a medical condition there are no good and bad foods. Some foods are just way more nutritious than others. Of course focus on getting the nutritious foods first though.

8. Reward yourself when you reach mini goals- Eg, a facial etc when you’ve lost 2kg.
  • aidahbest1999
    aidahbest1999 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello and what a great aim you have for the last few months of 2020.

Be aware that whilst you may lose a reasonable amount of weight initially, it may not be consistent. To lose 6lbs a week, means sustaining a rate of 1.5lb a week, whereas you'll have fluctuations for all sorts of reasons. I don't want to put a dampener on your enthusiasm, but if you find your rate of weight loss is slowing down (or even increasing, temporarily) keep plugging away and, over time, your general trend will continue downwards.

All the best with your goal.

Thank you for the advice! 🤗
  • aidahbest1999
    aidahbest1999 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    eqbsm6dch0ga.jpeg

Hi Aidah! It’s great that you’ve decided to embark on this journey before 2021. I’m abit confused about your height because 162 cm is 5’ 4” inches so wonder what happened with the maths?! Lol.

Well here’s a few tips from me:

1. Set a reasonable goal- 9 kg seems quite aggressive so why don’t you aim to lose 5-6 kg instead? That’s still roughly 1lb per week and up to 2 kg a month which is much more attainable and less likely to cause rebound weight gain.

2. Make small sustainable changes- remember this is a lifestyle change not just a diet. This could be walking more instead of driving everywhere. Just try and increase your NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis). Or eating 1 bar of chocolate instead of 2. Drinking water instead of soda.

3. Eat more protein- you want to maintain as much muscle as possible. 0.8 g- 1g per pound of goal body weight is fine.

4. Only eat foods you like- nothing wrong with trying and experimenting with new foods but don’t force yourself to eat something you hate.

5. Find an exercise you love and stick to it- could be walking, yoga, Pilates, dvd workouts, weights, cycling, swimming, the list goes on. Something with resistance training would be good 2x per week to maintain (or build if you’re a newbie) muscle mass. There’s a section on the best strength programmes in the fitness section. You can even do body weight workouts too.

6. Expect that it won’t be linear- download a weight trending app it will help a lot! Your weight will most likely go up during your TOM/ovulation so don’t freak out because it’s normal.

7. Don’t cut any foods out cold turkey- unless you have a medical condition there are no good and bad foods. Some foods are just way more nutritious than others. Of course focus on getting the nutritious foods first though.

8. Reward yourself when you reach mini goals- Eg, a facial etc when you’ve lost 2kg.

Thank you so much for all these tips! Will try my best to inculcate it into my everyday life 🤗
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Don't set an unreasonable goal for yourself :)
    Be kind to yourself and lose the weight slowly and learn how much to eat in order to make maintaining easier when you get there!
    The veterans on here are awesome, so if you have questions don't hesitate to ask them and they will swoop it and help you

1h42kk1apu94.png
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Just remind yourself that it is not going to happen over night, be patient with yourself, and think of it as a life changing goal, not just a weight loss goal. Best to you!
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You can do it!