In need of some motivation/tips !!! x

Options
I have been using MFP for... so long. I was actually doing really rather well at one point; dropping 20lbs or so.

But then, my Dad had a pulmonary embolism earlier this year and we almost lost him :frown: after many tears, thoughts and prayers, the doctors fixed him and now he is doing okay, with medication.

However, as you could probably imagine, my diet went out the window; regaining all the weight. It has been an uphill struggle just to get me to this place where I am ready to get into shape again.

But I'm here now, and I am certainly wanting to lose this weight. But I guess I'm just lacking in drive at the moment. So what I'd truly appreciate is maybe some diet/exercise inspiration or ideas to get me started... I just need a little motivation :smile:

Thanks!
S xx

Replies

• superwoman2798
    superwoman2798 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Track everything!! even if you're not dieting,,, it'll make you more aware and you will start realizing places you can make changes. Even small changes make a difference, low fat mayo, diet coke, whole wheat bread, etc etc
    How about a 10 minute walk every morning,, something just to get you going. Or dance,, just dance your butt off for 15 minutes after dinner,,,,

oh and visit this site every day!!! its the most amazing supportive community I have ever come across. Seeing other peoples progress will inspire you!
  • Nikkiairforcewife
    Nikkiairforcewife Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to hear your dad is doing better!

And you are so good to come back and try again! That's the first step.

Look at it like a lifestyle change instead of a diet. Baby steps to better health. Healthier choices here and there. It's not about Loads of will-power to drop a bunch of weight fast.

It's about fine-tuning your eating and making sure you are still eating plenty of healthy food.

It's about being healthy and active and finding alternatives when emotional eating tries to rear it's ugly head.

Try Fat2Fitradio.com and listen to their free podcasts to help kick start your new healthy life! And MFP of course to journal it. :wink:
  • sfalk1977
    sfalk1977 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I devised an evening meal planner with a different meal every night for four weeks. This stops me from doing the "what are we having for dinner tonight? We'll just have takeaway/throw a pizza in the oven etc" I have one night in that 4 week period where we have takeaway. It also broke the habit of having the same things every week. It took me a while to think of that many different meals but it was well worth the effort. I can list them if it helps.

I then order my food online and have it delivered and only buy the things I need to make those meals each week (plus normal staples - bread, milk, cereal, fruit, yogurt etc). Stops me having naughty food in the house - if I want chocolate, I WALK to the shop and buy a small bar before walking back.

I always do my exercise dvd first thing in the morning even if it means getting up early (Ihave two kids under 4 years old). If I leave it until later, later never happens.
  • sarahcav123
    sarahcav123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! :smile:
    Its just really nice to hear other people's advice and perspectives. I suppose that through difficult times, relying on simply your will power alone just isn't going to cut it.
    But I'm back on track now, I'm not going to let this get the better of me.

:happy:

S x
  • sarahcav123
    Options
    I devised an evening meal planner with a different meal every night for four weeks. This stops me from doing the "what are we having for dinner tonight? We'll just have takeaway/throw a pizza in the oven etc" I have one night in that 4 week period where we have takeaway. It also broke the habit of having the same things every week. It took me a while to think of that many different meals but it was well worth the effort. I can list them if it helps.

I then order my food online and have it delivered and only buy the things I need to make those meals each week (plus normal staples - bread, milk, cereal, fruit, yogurt etc). Stops me having naughty food in the house - if I want chocolate, I WALK to the shop and buy a small bar before walking back.

I always do my exercise dvd first thing in the morning even if it means getting up early (Ihave two kids under 4 years old). If I leave it until later, later never happens.

Oh my gosh! That must have taken some imagination to devise so many meals!! What sort of things did you make? :smile:

Good advice on the ordering online thing. Its true, when I go grocery shopping, I find I do tend to buy naughty foods "for emergencies"... and then OOPS, its all gone and I'm 3 lbs heavier.

Although, I find when I exercise in the morning, I am exercising on an empty stomach and so end up feeling weak and light-headed; especially when doing heavier cardio work. But I don't suppose eating before working out is such a great idea either?
  • sfalk1977
    sfalk1977 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Oh my gosh! That must have taken some imagination to devise so many meals!! What sort of things did you make? :smile:

Good advice on the ordering online thing. Its true, when I go grocery shopping, I find I do tend to buy naughty foods "for emergencies"... and then OOPS, its all gone and I'm 3 lbs heavier.

Although, I find when I exercise in the morning, I am exercising on an empty stomach and so end up feeling weak and light-headed; especially when doing heavier cardio work. But I don't suppose eating before working out is such a great idea either?

I get up at 6.15 and have a light breakfast - small bowl of cereal usually. I give it 15 minutes while I catch up on here then do 30 DS. When I've finished I have a protein bar which keeps me going until lunch usually.

Menu:

Pork stir fry
    Piiza and salad (1/3 a thin crust)
    Salmon steak with lemon juice and black pepper, bolied potatoes and veg
    Jacket potatoes with beans/tuna/cheese
    Sausages and mash plus veg
    Chicken chasseur
    Roast Lamb dinner with dry roast potatoes and veg

Lamb curry (with leftover lamb) and rice and peas
    Slow cooker ribs with corn on the cob and mash
    Cauliflower cheese
    Chicken hotpot and veg
    Lasagne and salad
    Steak and chips plus veg
    Roast chicken dinner (as for the lamb previous week)

Pasta with leftover roast chicken in pesto, cherry toms, sweetcorn
    Pork loin steaks, boiled potato, veg and gravy
    Spaghetti bolognaise/chilli
    Ham/tuna salad
    Macaroni cheese
    Fish cakes
    Roast beef dinner with dry roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding and veg

Leftover beef in gravy, potatoes and veg
    Chicken thighs on couscous (lemon, black pepper, peppers, onion added to cous cous)
    Quiche and salad
    Shepherd's pie
    Omelette and salad
    TAKEAWAY NIGHT!
    Roast pork dinner.

Any left over roast pork then gets used for the stir fry in week one and the cycle continues. This is my summer menu - I'm going to have to adapt it for winter. All my meals are made from scratch with fresh ingredients. However, I do use a chasseur sauce from a packet, stir fry sauce from a packet, curry sauce from a jar and pesto from a jar,
  • sarahcav123
    Options

I get up at 6.15 and have a light breakfast - small bowl of cereal usually. I give it 15 minutes while I catch up on here then do 30 DS. When I've finished I have a protein bar which keeps me going until lunch usually.

Menu:

Pork stir fry
    Piiza and salad (1/3 a thin crust)
    Salmon steak with lemon juice and black pepper, bolied potatoes and veg
    Jacket potatoes with beans/tuna/cheese
    Sausages and mash plus veg
    Chicken chasseur
    Roast Lamb dinner with dry roast potatoes and veg

Lamb curry (with leftover lamb) and rice and peas
    Slow cooker ribs with corn on the cob and mash
    Cauliflower cheese
    Chicken hotpot and veg
    Lasagne and salad
    Steak and chips plus veg
    Roast chicken dinner (as for the lamb previous week)

Pasta with leftover roast chicken in pesto, cherry toms, sweetcorn
    Pork loin steaks, boiled potato, veg and gravy
    Spaghetti bolognaise/chilli
    Ham/tuna salad
    Macaroni cheese
    Fish cakes
    Roast beef dinner with dry roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding and veg

Leftover beef in gravy, potatoes and veg
    Chicken thighs on couscous (lemon, black pepper, peppers, onion added to cous cous)
    Quiche and salad
    Shepherd's pie
    Omelette and salad
    TAKEAWAY NIGHT!
    Roast pork dinner.

Any left over roast pork then gets used for the stir fry in week one and the cycle continues. This is my summer menu - I'm going to have to adapt it for winter. All my meals are made from scratch with fresh ingredients. However, I do use a chasseur sauce from a packet, stir fry sauce from a packet, curry sauce from a jar and pesto from a jar,

Wow! You must be super organised lol :smile:
    Thank you for sharing... I've had a read through them and I particularly like the idea of the couscous and the ribs dishes.
  • Meesha21
    Options
    Try not to load your stomach with high calorie food after 5-6 PM so that your metabolism burns all what u ate during the day time. Have more of veggies/clear soup/salads without mayo at least 2 hours before you sleep. No coke/juice !! That should be a sort of weightloss beginig without exercise!! :happy:
  • sarahcav123
    Options
    Try not to load your stomach with high calorie food after 5-6 PM so that your metabolism burns all what u ate during the day time. Have more of veggies/clear soup/salads without mayo at least 2 hours before you sleep. No coke/juice !! That should be a sort of weightloss beginig without exercise!! :happy:

Yeah I heard that eating late is bad news. But wasn't sure if it was true :smile:
    I try to avoid the full sugar drinks and tend to drink diet coke/coke zero - but I've recently been told that despite the lack of calories, its really bad for you and can make you bloat?? Do you know whether this is true? :noway: