Vitamin D UG/mg

Can someone please help. I have bought Vit D supplement s for myself and children, the bottle shows 25ug and I have learned today that you need 10mg a day.

Can someone tell me what UG would 10mg be I think the ones I have maybe too low. It’s very confusing thank you

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,734 Member
    I think the different notations of the units are confusing you.

I'm guessing what you mean by ug is actually µg, which is the abbreviation used for microgram. An alternate abbreviation, to avoid that troublesome Greek letter, is mcg.

The abbreviation mg stands for milligrams
    But the recommended intake is actually 10 micrograms, not 10 milligrams.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited November 2020
    I am no expert but you take D in mcg no mg. 25ug is the same as mcg.

Your dose is just on the high side for people taking it without a doctor's input.

I take a much higher dose because I am inside so much of the day and I was told by my doctor to do so.
  • Jopanni
    Jopanni Posts: 27 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »

I'm guessing what you mean by ug is actually µg, which is the abbreviation used for microgram. An alternate abbreviation, to avoid that troublesome Greek letter, is mcg.

Lietchi wrote: »

Excellent thank you I think you are correct in my misunderstanding and I could not find the Greek symbol on my phone. Okay so I am taking enough that’s great thanks for taking the time to reply
  • Jopanni
    Jopanni Posts: 27 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

Your dose is just on the high side for people taking it without a doctor's input.

I take a much higher dose because I am inside so much of the day and I was told by my doctor to do so.
    NovusDies wrote: »

Thank you for taking the time to reply and make sense of it
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    FWIW, I don't know what the "recommended" dosage is but I was diagnosed as Vit D deficient many yrs ago and have been taking 5000 IU (International units, which is equivalent to 125 mcg) of Vit D daily since then, which has also kept my Vit D level based on annual 25-hydroxy Vit D blood tests w/in the healthy 20-50 ng/ml range consistently since then.

The point is that your needs for a Vit D supplement may vary significantly from the "recommended" dosage (whatever it is) and the only way to find out if you are taking enough of a Vit D supplement is to get your Vit D level blood tested.