Need some suggustions for energy (natural preferred)

Options
Unfortunatel I am at school all day and have kids so sleeping more is not an option lol, wish it was but i do get 7-8 hours a night

I have cut out all energy drinks since starting dieting thinking I would feel natuarla energy, and while i do feel better, there are some days when I really need an extra push. I do not drink soda or caffeine so that is out of the question, seriously addicted must stay away.

Thinking about vitamins?

I use to drink a red bull a mmonster and an xtra strenght 5 hour energy to get through my day. I can't thk of very many ways to get natural energy other than what I am doing, eating right (fruits and veggies) and regularly exercising.

Can anyone help? Sometimes when you are too tired and close to a situation you can't see any solutions so I am turing to MFP pals for help.

thank you and everyone have a great day!

Replies

• trilikeagirl
    Options
    Multivitamin, and drink half your weight in ounces of water every day.
  • Mortazor
    Mortazor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eat a big breakfast, and exercise in the a.m.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Does your eating right include protein? That makes a big difference in my energy level. But then again, I do start the day with a (fairly weak) cup of joe.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    check this out - seems interesting! http://www.webmd.com/diet/slideshow-energy-mood-boost-diet
    also, i just read in a magazine that a lot of the power of caffeine is in your mind...so maybe try decaf coffee or tea?
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    B Complex - they help with converting food/fat into energy.
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have started using organic, unrefined coconut oil for it's health benefits and supposed metabolism boost. I've only been using it for a week (3 tablespoons a day) but it has really helped my energy levels. Apparently that kind of fat is not absorbed by your body as fat, but it goes right to the liver and it uses it immediately for energy. I can't have it too late or it keeps me from sleeping. I made these banana muffins to eat throughout the day - I have 2 a day which takes care of 1 tablespoon of oil - I have it right before my run in the morning and it really gives me the boost I need. It's made with eggs, coconut oil, coconut flour, bananas, and baking soda - that's it. No added sugar - really low carbs and high energy.

The other thing that I've also noticed gives me a boost in the middle of the day is kelp. I cut up some and put it in my salads for lunch. Apparently kelp has higher levels of iodine and iodine is helpful in upping thyroid function, which can affect energy levels. I notice a difference on days I don't have it.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Take a B 50 complex vitamin in the morning with a multi-vitamin.

Warning!!! Vitamin B will make your pee bright yellow!! lol, FYI
  • FiitChiik
    FiitChiik Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you getting in a day? Protein takes the longest to digest (out of carbs, fats and protein) so it not only keeps you full longer, but also gives you sustained energy! I recommend my clients get at least 25% of their calories from protein in a day. Once they make that change, they notice their energy levels go way up! Also be sure to include about 15 grams of protein with breakfast to avoid the mid morning grouchies.

Taking a B vitamin supplement may help also, but make sure you talk to your healthcare professional before purchasing one to make sure you get one that is right for you.

Eating every 3 hours is key to keeping energy up and don't limit your carbs too much. Of course you should be choosing whole grains as your primary carb source next to veggies and fruits.

My favorite mid morning or afternoon pick me up is fat free plain greek yogurt with fresh berries and a hand full (about 12) of almonds.

Don't forget lots o water too!

Hope this is helpful, hang in there!
  • CCulshaw
    CCulshaw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This isn't really a direct response to your question, but might be related. In addition to all of these (GREAT) suggestions, I'd like to suggest that perhaps you should talk to your doctor to rule out anemia. I found out that I was severely anemic a few months back, and that drains my energy, even when I've had a good, long night of sleep. If that's a problem, iron and B-complex vitamins are crucial to feeling well-rested.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Exercise in the morning - your body will produce natural endorphins and give you more spring in your step.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you are eating at an appropriate calorie deficit, no more than 1/2 - 1 lb/week loss, eat your exercise calories, eat breakfast and eat low-glycemic snacks during the day to keep your blood sugar level.

If you can even get into bed 15 minutes earlier, do it (get off MFP--ha ha, easier said than done, right?).

B-12 supplements can help with energy; they come in capsules and sublingual form at Whole Foods and similar stores. Also Bee Pollen and Nutritional Yeast help with energy. They are delicious--add to yogurt, on a bagel, in a smoothie, etc.

blessings.
  • Melatonin
    Melatonin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Wheatgrass... I know it sounds awful but I always feel amazing afterwards. Especially if this if followed my a all fruit smoothie.
    Plenty of water as well!
  • Kaycurrier
    Options
    thank you everyone for all your help. There are some serious ideas I here I would have never considered, definently interested in the coconut oil thing, could you maybe post the full recipe or send it to me? also where do you buy it?
  • Kaycurrier
    Options
    Alos B vitamins, glad so many of you suggested that! I haven't taken vitamins since my old flinstone ones lol, I know nothing about that stuff
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for all your help. There are some serious ideas I here I would have never considered, definently interested in the coconut oil thing, could you maybe post the full recipe or send it to me? also where do you buy it?

I bought my coconut oil at whole foods. You can also get it online or at places like The Vitamin Store - ps - my skin has NEVER looked better. I love this stuff.

Here's the recipe for the muffins

5 eggs (apparently you need a lot of eggs when you use coconut flour on it's own)
    2 ripe bananas (I had small ones so I used 2 and 1/2)
    1/4 cup of coconut oil
    1/2 cup coconut flour (also found at whole foods: bob's red mill brand)
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp vanilla
    pinch of salt

Heat oven to 325
    Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, and mix until smooth. I divided the batter into a greased muffin pan (used coconut oil to grease it) - 12 muffins total (It was a little less than a quarter cup per muffin)

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned or set in the middle.

Each muffin is 144 calories, 7 carbs, 2 grams of dietary fiber, 3 grams protein, 12 grams of fat (all from coconut oil so it's good) - recommended dosage of cocounut oil is 2-4 tablespoons a day. I have 2 muffins a day - spread out in halves mainly to give me energy. Half pre-run, half post run, half before lunch, half after lunch. It's filling, satisfying, and gives me a boost.
  • Kaycurrier
    Options
    thank you so much, I can't wait to try this out!!!!
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    This stuff! So good!

http://www.emergenc.com/
  • Tinasmythe
    Tinasmythe Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this post. I had been struggling all week with energy. Thanks for the ideas :)
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I just started taking a b complex vitamin this week, it has helped me. I've been interested in trying coconut oil as well!