Not losing anything. Nada. Not a bean.

Options
2»

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    xtineart wrote: »
    Sorry not trying to rain on what works for you but 20 odd years ago I was a competetive athlete and every gram I ate was diaried, every minute of training and I had to weigh myself twice a day. It messed me up mentally 😪 I was very underweight back then with so little body fat my periods stopped for a time but still under daily pressure to record everything to eat and weigh that few grams less to go that bit harder and faster. Friends used to comment that I virtually lived on air. I can never do that to myself again. And those demons are still with me.

It would have been helpful to know this. As Jane said above, then it's going to be very slow. It all depends on how much you want to lose. So many things can throw you off, as Ann mentioned above, that calorie counting eliminates some of the uncertainties. That's why many of us push it. You will need a lot of patience and trial and error. Sincerely wishing you good luck.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    See snowflake i still don't understand how much difference that would make. Weighing a cup soup that says 100 cal on the pack isn't going to change how its recorded. I only have 1 or 2 pieces of fruit a day and even wide of the mark on a guess an apple isn't going to be out by over 100 calories. I'm constantly eating what calculated cones in at around 1000 cal so I can leave an allowance f about 200 anyway for miscalculation. I dont know what I'm missing when so many others post about losing up to 8 pounds in their first week. I haven't even lost a pound?

If that cup soup is supposed to be 150 g, but you weigh it and find it's 180 g, then it's 120 calories, not 100 calories, and you need to log it as such. It will change how it's recorded if you weigh and record appropriately.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Sorry not trying to rain on what works for you but 20 odd years ago I was a competetive athlete and every gram I ate was diaried, every minute of training and I had to weigh myself twice a day. It messed me up mentally 😪 I was very underweight back then with so little body fat my periods stopped for a time but still under daily pressure to record everything to eat and weigh that few grams less to go that bit harder and faster. Friends used to comment that I virtually lived on air. I can never do that to myself again. And those demons are still with me.

It wasn't the weighing and logging that made you underweight. It was eating too little in comparison to what you were burning that made you underweight.

If all that left you in a situation that you can't dissociate the two things (weighing food and undereating), then this probably isn't an approach that's going to give you the results you want. Maybe look into a behavioral approach to eating?
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options

I totally understand what you're going through. I too was an athlete in my teens. I didn't have to track food but I had weigh ins. They mess with your mind. I ended up with a hunger induced migraine last week because I was logging my food and wow that messes with my mind. When I do that my mind basically tells me I don't need to eat anything. It's bizarre but I guess are these demons you speak of.

For now I have decided to ignore the scale (I know the high numbers are because of PMS) but my clothes feel looser and I feel healthier. I worked out for 2 hours today because it just feels good to really work my body. Luckily the calorie burn covers whatever food I want to eat

Good luck! It's tough especially when there are some demons that most people just don't understand.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    >:)
  • AlexiaC47
    AlexiaC47 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Try weighing food for a while to test yourself. You may be shocked at how wrong you can be estimating.
    How tall are you and how much are you trying to lose?
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm 5.7 and want to lose around 2 stone by spring. If this site relies on weighing every gram of food and myself daily rather than just food diary tracking then its not for me. I dont think people understand how dangerous anorexia demons can be if let loose.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I'm 5.7 and want to lose around 2 stone by spring. If this site relies on weighing every gram of food and myself daily rather than just food diary tracking then its not for me. I dont think people understand how dangerous anorexia demons can be if let loose.

It's a calorie counting site, so the average user will lean toward doing that with exactitude. Loose logging can work, even if it's not the mainstream.

You have choices: Use the diary as you wish, ignore the forum; participate in the forum but understand that many use the tools differently; and other options between or beyond.

Many like to weigh foods and themselves routinely, but don't fall into obsession or anorexia when they do so (that's me, for one). That doesn't make it the only way to succeed.

Only you know whether the tool can help you on your path, or not. Sadly - but realistically - advice in the forum will mostly be based on the mainstream of use.

Wishing you success on *your* course, sincerely!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This is a calorie counting website. When users encounter difficulties achieving the results they desire, advice is generally going to trend towards directing you to use that specific strategy more effectively. Keep in mind that most treatment experts probably would recommend that people with a history of anorexia at minimum exercise caution about using calorie counting to control their weight and may even recommend that they avoid it all together.

That we are a group of people who have achieved success with calorie counting doesn't mean it's the only way to manage your weight or even that it's the best strategy for you. You and your treatment team are probably the best people to determine that. But people here are going to be less familiar with alternative strategies for you because self-selection of users here has resulted in a group who have found success using this particular strategy.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    It's only been three weeks.

Which isn't much time to see a trend developing (especially for a woman) and certainly isn't enough time to have gained significant amounts of muscle (as per your OP) even if you were actually training for hypertrophy.

You seem confident you are creating a calorie deficit, I think from your various responses there's every probability you are correct.
    In which case you must be losing fat to fuel that energy deficit even if not seeing that reflected in losing weight yet. Although our Mums tell us we are special we really aren't special enough to create energy out of nothing. Weird results out of line with calorie balance tend to be water related. Simply suggest you give yourself more time.

My food logging wasn't at all precise (although I did use weighing as a portion size checker - quite revealing for a greedy guts like me!). After an adjustment after a month I lost in a fairly linear fashion although many people do not, they tend to have stalls and big dips. Give yourself time and take the pressure off, times passes anyway and if you do the right things on you will get results. Don't throw your hands up and give up or you will get nowhere.

One question you asked (perhaps tongue in cheek) was "are my scales broken?" - that's easy enough to test. Replace the batteries.
    I've never come across it personally but some people report their scales have a false consistency in that if your weight is close to a previous weigh-in it reports the same number. Easy to reset, just put one foot on the scales.

Patience Grasshopper.
  • smallmu
    smallmu Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I feel you! I started off as a dancer then moved into competitive sport. Coupled with a modelling phase in my mid-teens to early 20s - it made me a proper psycho about body image, food and training. Measuring everything, getting weighed after a glass water etc. I was seriously underweight. Anyway, 2 kids and a nasty running accident later I need to lose 4 stones. I'm into week 7 right now and initially I found that my weight didn't move.

I used my Garmin to track total calorie expenditure - I've been aiming to burn off 500 a day through exercise - and I ate 1200 cals a day. So if I burned off total 2,500 I ate 1200, if I burned off 3,000 I ate 1200. It doesn't work. I think my body was so used to having been basically starved in the past that it adapted really quickly to the lower calories. I read a lot on here that people always eat their exercise calories.

To burn off a couple of pounds a week I need an average deficit of 1000 a day. So now if my Garmin tells me I burned off 2,500 cals I eat 1500, 3000 = 2000 etc. I've lost 16 pounds in 7 weeks - and I'm old, slow and lazy ;) The people on here do know what they're talking about.

I found that if I just look at all the bloody weighing food in and tracking cals out as a maths thing it doesn't make me feel crazy. Honestly, it's boring at hell but I just want this thing done...

Good luck!