how can i tell if i’ve injured myself or if it’s the typical exercise pain

Options
i’ve recently started properly training my glutes with different types of dead lifts, split squats and more

but it’s painful when i sit and i’m not sure how to tell if it’s an injury. i’m just concerned bc it’s lower body day tomorrow and i don’t want to worsen the injury

i think it’s caused by squeezing mu glutes on the leg press or just over training it i’m not sure

Replies

• trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    By seeing your doctor. That's how... :|

i’ll just leave it then and hope that it goes away
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Echo the above any sharp pains should be given notice. Rest ice elevation etc as its likely to be injured. Doms should be no more than a mild achey grumble or tightness and should go away quite quickly with gentle exercise of stretching. If you can easily 'walk it off' its within acceptable levels if you can't move or are in painkillers level pain you've hone too far and will need to rest. Regularly pushing yourself that far can end up cancelling out any benefits as you need more rest to recover though it can build bulkier muscle if appearance is all you are after.
  • trulyhealy
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    By seeing your doctor. That's how... :|

i’ll just leave it then and hope that it goes away

i meant this in the way that it’s not that serious to the point that i would have to see a doctor
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    DOMS is kinda easy to tell because it's a lot of sore/tight muscles. Pain/injury is something different. So when I have muscle soreness from working out (DOMS) I can usually warm up and stretch out or use a foam roller to ease the pain and get some relief. An injury is totally different.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    As a side note, if you're not sure, maybe take it easy for a day or two and see if it gets better. Do something light?
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @trulyhealy No self-diagnosis, don't let it go. Psychod is right and I just want to say his new pix is handsome.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Does the pain diminish if you go for a 10-20 minute walk? That’s DOMS.
  • trulyhealy
    Options
    Does the pain diminish if you go for a 10-20 minute walk? That’s DOMS.

it’s not as sore as it was early so i think it’s just because i’ve never worked that muscle as hard as i did on monday with the squeezing of the fluted with 115lbs on the leg press machine i’m not sure if that’s bad
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Since you’re not sure, play it safe. Even if it is “normal” pain, continuing to “overdo” it will make you more susceptible to a “real” injury. Take time to learn how your body responds to different situations.
  • AlexiaC47
    AlexiaC47 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If it’s just muscle soreness I would let it go. If pain in your lower back, hip, knees etc then it could be something worse.