Yoga

socajam
socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
I have been meaning to take up yoga for the longest and decided today I will make that move.
It was really hard, I am so stiff and I could hardly reach my toes etc.
I have started 30 days with Adrienne on youtube.
Any tips would be welcome

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Congrats on starting yoga. Yoga is hard! It takes me a few weeks to get my body in sync whenever I restart yoga. Maybe plan to hold back a little bit, not do everything exactly as shown in the video. Maybe you can only do part of the session at once. It's ok. I would suggest to start every other day and ease into it gradually. I've seen very few, if any, exercise videos of any kind that actually start me where I'm at. Modification is the name of the game for me!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I was so stiff when I started!

If you're like me, you'll get more flexible with practice. Don't be afraid to modify -- sometimes when I was "supposed" to touch my toes, I'd just reach for my calves . . . stuff like that. Gradually, I found that I was able to stretch more and holding my poses got easier.
  • socajam
    Thanks lorrpb and janejellyroll

That's why I am looking for more flexibility and loosening up my lower back and hips from stiffness caused by sitting all day.
    Good advice from both you and which I will take into account - I will try tomorrow and see how it goes and then make up my mind whether to do every other day until I am looser
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    I know this sounds wierd, but a short thorough stretch before you begin a class will help tremendously.

I do calf stretches, heel raises, shoulder and arm rotations, forward fold, seated forward folds (both two and one legged) and seated wide legged forward fold. And if I do nothing else, lots of seated hip circles in both directions, cross legs in other direction and do both directions again.

I can usually do everything in 5-10 minutes but if I’m feeling luxurious, I’ll do the entire stretch for half an hour.
  • socajam
    springlering62 - I will look into seated hip circles - my hips hurt a lot from the sitting
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I know this sounds wierd, but a short thorough stretch before you begin a class will help tremendously.

I do calf stretches, heel raises, shoulder and arm rotations, forward fold, seated forward folds (both two and one legged) and seated wide legged forward fold. And if I do nothing else, lots of seated hip circles in both directions, cross legs in other direction and do both directions again.

I can usually do everything in 5-10 minutes but if I’m feeling luxurious, I’ll do the entire stretch for half an hour.

I foam roll before, and if I haven't done Moon Salutations recently, I foam roll again afterwards, concentrating on the hamstrings.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    socajam wrote: »
    springlering62 - I will look into seated hip circles - my hips hurt a lot from the sitting

Are you sitting on a pillow (or something that elevates you a few inches) and allowing your pelvis to tilt forward?
  • jmf552
    jmf552 Posts: 47 Member
    I have been into hot yoga classes for most of the last 10 years and I am in my late 60s. I take three one hour classes a week. I much prefer them to video classes, audio classes, and non-heated yoga, all of which I have tried. The heat has a positive effect, both mentally and physically. The main thing about yoga that takes a while to accept is that it is not about being able to do the poses like the instructor or anyone else. Go as far as you can, into moderate discomfort, but not into pain. Find a balance of effort and ease...for you.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Biggest tip I can give is challenge yourself but have patience. Not every pose is achievable no matter how simple it may look for others.

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    30 Days with Adriene is a great start. She's wonderful. Listen to her. She will make recommendations for alternative poses. She knows that people who are starting out are choosing that series. I went through her 30 day program and often choose one of her other videos to target an area for extra stretching. She's delightful, positive, genuine, and Benji is an extra treat to see :heart:
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Best tip I ever heard was “if you’re feeling it you’re doing it” meaning that if for example your standing forward is you waving at your knees but you’re feeling it, don’t push further because you think you should fold deeper. Understand that things are working for you.
  • ItsAStrangeLoop
    ItsAStrangeLoop Posts: 14 Member
    Hope yoga works for you. I found that it had a huge impact in my life and I do catch myself using Adriene's yoga cues for everyday scenarios as well :smile: .
    One advice I would give is to make sure your mat is appropriate for you. For a first mat don't go all out but if you end up making it a habit, skip the flimsy and cheap yoga mats. Before I bought my forever mat, I was changing mats every 2 months of daily practice because they were "shedding" and the grip was horrible. This may not apply to you but I have issues with my shoulders and when in down dog for example, if my grip is slipping, the effort of maintaining the pose wreaks havoc on my shoulder girdle.
    Best of luck!
  • msapplek
    msapplek Posts: 95 Member
    Hope yoga works for you. I found that it had a huge impact in my life and I do catch myself using Adriene's yoga cues for everyday scenarios as well :smile: .
    One advice I would give is to make sure your mat is appropriate for you. For a first mat don't go all out but if you end up making it a habit, skip the flimsy and cheap yoga mats. Before I bought my forever mat, I was changing mats every 2 months of daily practice because they were "shedding" and the grip was horrible. This may not apply to you but I have issues with my shoulders and when in down dog for example, if my grip is slipping, the effort of maintaining the pose wreaks havoc on my shoulder girdle.
    Best of luck!

@ItsAStrangeLoop - Do you have a recommendation for a forever mat (I've never heard that term 'forever mat' before! I like it!)
  • springlering62
    I absolutely love the Gaiam Sol mats. They last forever, are grippy, just enough padding, and if they start to smell (I do a lot of hot classes) I throw them in the washing machine on the “bulky” cycle and hang them to dry on the porch. The older they get, the more comfortable and grippy they are. A couple of mine have started delaminating or bubbling with age and washing machine visits, but oddly enough, I find that increases the grip, too.

The Sol comes in an XL which is longer and wider than standard mats. I like to take up a lot of room during my practice.

They are also reasonably priced and the one may I had an issue with, gaiam asked me for the serial number embossed on the reverse of the mat and replaced it within a few days with no questions asked.

I’ve got three Sol mats. I keep one in my yoga room, and rotate the other two out for studio classes, or use both for the occasional double mat class. After I return from studio classes, I hang the moist mat over a short stepladder in the garage to dry. (The stepladder lets it dry and air out on both top and bottom. )

I do 7-10 studio classes a week so my mats get a serious workout, and I couldn’t be happier with the longevity.

I bought a very expensive Manduka because of all the hype, and hated it. Even though I scrubbed it with salt several times as recommended, it was slippery even in basic positions like down dog. It was hard as a rock and (I walk half a mile to class) much heavier than my Gaiam. I wouldn’t have minded the weight if it had been a comfy or secure mat but yuck yuck yuck. I gave it to my daughter after two weeks of trying to learn to love it.

Interestingly, I’m seeing more folks in the studio I attend who are changing to Gaiam.

Btw the Sol is completely different from the $20 Gaiam mats at Target and TJ Maxx. I do still have my original one of those though. Use it folded over as a kneeling pad for painting and gardening.

And one last thing, our studio has taken to cutting up old rental mats into knee pads. People loved them and it was a great way to recycle, til Covid shelved all studio public equipment.
  • msapplek
    msapplek Posts: 95 Member
    @springlering62 - Thank you, I will check out the Gaiam Sol! I've heard about the oft recommended Manduka, but then I read reviews about its slipperiness (and rubbery smell?). Grippiness is most important to me.

And @springlering62 -I always enjoy when you post (to hear your story, your workouts, your humour and attitude). Totally inspired by your current fitness. How do you manage 7-10 studio classes a week on top of your strength training? Do you do a lot of 2 workouts a day? I'm currently so burnt out trying to fit it all in (only getting 2 yoga videos/week and increasingly choosing shorter/easier flows).
  • ItsAStrangeLoop
    Ooof, that's gonna be slightly awkward cause the only mats I've ever loved are Manduka :#

I do agree that they are heavier, I would not go around with my Manduka unless it was leg day. Especially the Manduka Pro, is really darn heavy.

Personally, I was only bothered by the smell the first week and the anti-slip has never, ever, failed me. I do not put my mats in the washing machine, I usually spray them with a solution of vinegar and then 3-4 times with plain water. I don't know if that affects how slippery they are.

Stiffness-wise, I prefer harder mats. I just like how they feel under my feet and hands. For some reason, it really bothers me when I have a squishier mat and my base sinks in a little bit.

So after the clarification that the Gaiam Sol is different than its "standard" counterpart (they still go for approximately $30-40 in Europe though), I have no opinion on it. I've only gone for the cheaper ones and well, I am not happy with it. It started fraying really quickly and the grip is horrendous.
  • socajam
    Thanks everyone, I am taking it slow and one day at a time.
    Along with trying to lose 30 lbs, I would love to improve on my flexibility.
  • springlering62
    Mats are as personal as underwear. Each has its own “personality”.

If you practice at a studio, they often provide loaner mats. You could ask to try out what they have on hand. I’ve loaned my mat to people to try for a class, and others often invite (key word there!) people onto their mats before or after class to try them out.

During Covid that may not be something you want to do, unfortunately.

I agree with @ItsAStrangeLoop The dimpled mats available at box stores or TJ Maxx are cheap and will crumble after about six months, but OTOH you can often get them at $9.99, which is awfully appealing if you’re not ready to commit to $70-200 for a mat. What I dislike most about the dimples ones is their lack of grip, and their dangerous tendency to “skate” acrost a hardwood floor when you change position.

Thank you for the very kind words. I am retired. I made my new job “me”.

I have the singular fortune of living in walking distance of a fantastic yoga studio (where I wear out my Unlimited Class Pass), an extensive walking trail, and a well respected “mom and pop” barbell gym where he’s a world powerlifting champ and she’s competitive in everything from lifting to running. I was very very fortunate that she took me on as a client last year, sight unseen, when I tentatively texted her I’d lost sixty pounds and thought I needed help with recomp. I found out later she wasn’t taking clients but my text intrigued her. I didn’t just get a trainer. I (and every other member of that gym) got a surrogate mom, so I am doubly blessed every time I walk in that door.

Oh, and my daughter is an accomplished yoga instructor on the west coast and I often take her Zoom classes. That’s crazy cool because she’ll text me half an hour beforehand “whaddya wanna work on today, mom?” And I get a whole hour tailored to me, lol.

So, yeah, I work out more than the average bear, but it’s not really working out. It’s all fun and pleasure. It’s good to be me right now.

TMI, huh?!
  • ItsAStrangeLoop
    @springlering62 Not TMI whatsoever. I did get a tad bit jealous though (in the best possible way).
    @socajam Slow and steady wins the race here. From online instructors, I think you made a really good choice. Can't wait for this year's 30-days of yoga.