Why am i so hungry today??

Options
So I am sticking to my calories daily, I'm doing my workouts and usually I'm fine. But today i am starving.
I had breakfast of porridge, then a few hours later, eggs and an English muffin. Then a prawn salad sandwich for lunch with grapes and cheese.
Snacked mid afternoon, went to the gym to avoid eating more. Left the gym and craved meat. Came home and ate some nuts.....I am feeling so hungry anr empty today.
I've been drinking plenty so it's not that.
I'm also just so worried about gaining again during this lockdown but I'm hungry hungry.
Any advice?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Some days we have hungry days, and thats more so when we've been eating at calorie deficit for a while or if we're new to being in deficit.
    Could be hormonal.
    You could find that this is an isolated hungry day.
    Could be because you did more exercise yesterday or earlier..theres a host of reasons why we have hungry days.
    Sometimes its a matter of looking at macros, e.g hows your protein or fat intake?
    If you track your calories and are consistently within your calorie budget you wont gain.
    You'll probably find once you have dinner today your hunger will subside.
  • beth_kai
    beth_kai Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Today I'm already a couple of hundred calories over. That's with dinner already taken into account. I just feel bleh. But thank you for responding to my rant
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Have you been thinking or worried about something more than usual or not sleeping well? Seriously our brains burn so much energy even while asleep stress can quickly make you hungry.
  • beth_kai
    beth_kai Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    xtineart wrote: »
    Have you been thinking or worried about something more than usual or not sleeping well? Seriously our brains burn so much energy even while asleep stress can quickly make you hungry.

I definitely have a lot on my mind at the moment with huge family issues and i find it hard to sleep but I work nights so the noises of the house keep me up.
    I just really need to lose the weight of the first lockdown and I'm so disappointed that the gyms are now closed 😫
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Are you female? Where are you in your cycle? I get ravenous about 3 days before my period.

I allow myself to eat at maintenance on those days.
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to go easy on yourself. Vitamin d and magnesium very important if you are working nights and sleeping day as you won't be getting so much naturally. Leafy green veg like spinach and cabbage almonds cashews and seeds and protein sources like whole milk can really help with that
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    For me a ravenous day is usually one of 3 main reasons:

1) I have not eaten in a way that normally takes care of my hunger. Life is messy and demanding so sometimes I cannot eat in a way that is ideal.

2) I have not eaten enough. I have a pretty good handle on how fast I should try to lose so my base calories and selected rate of loss are all fine. However, refueling activity is something I have struggled with. I am much better at it now but it has taken some time to figure it out.

3) Response to deficit - This is my best guess for an explanation for why it comes around with no other obvious explanation. My theory is that because I am creating a famine state and forcing my body to use reserves to keep me alive every once in awhile it kicks up the hunger to see if I can get more food. My body doesn't know it is a controlled deficit and that I will not eventually die from it so it is a self defense mechanism. This is a theory. It is probably way off base. I will say that when I was super heavy I seldom had hunger days. I had them, just not often. It has been in my final approach to a healthy weight that I have experienced them more frequently.

I am male so I can't help if it is a TOM situation.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's related, but I've noticed that when I sequence too many carbs and/or added or natural sugars, my hunger response is triggered even though I've had more than enough calories.

Over the weekend, I decided to skip meals so that I could indulge in leftover Halloween candy. I planned for it figured that since the daily calorie count was the more or less the same, it wouldn't really matter. Well, I can't tell you how ravenous I was that day! That's an extreme example; just adding my personal observation here. Perhaps the porridge, muffin, sandwich bread sequence triggered a hunger response? What are you drinking with those meals? Good for you heading for the gym!

• laura_b00
    laura_b00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I eat three meals a day and a snack at mid-morning. There are a couple of days a month I wake up starving, too. I eat breakfast and I'm not satisfied, so I keep eating trying to fill the hunger void. I don't know if hormones are pushing this, it would be something to check into. So many things drive the hunger mechanism. NovusDies had some interesting insights into the problem, I'm going to do some research.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    If you craved meat... why didn't you eat some meat? Maybe your body was telling you what it needed. And you still feel hungry because it still wants that.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to what you eat on the days you are hungry. It is so important to be mindful of what you ate when you feel hungry and when you felt full. For example; once I had some canned chicken noodle soup for a lunch. It triggered my appetite like never before. I figured it was the sugars as it was a processed food. Then, the other night I had chicken and broccoli for a quick dinner. I noticed how I felt full and content all evening and night long. I know to eat that more often now.
  • emmalyngreen90
    emmalyngreen90 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe you'd try HTP-5 vitamins? They reduce appetite and increase serotonin