im never full

Options
can i get some advice on food that could get me full? im never full and thats becoming a problem :( by the way i just started this thing, so im experimenting

Replies

• aliciarenee79
    aliciarenee79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good protein and lost of veggies keep me full. I've also noticed I don't get as hungry as I did in the beginning. I think I just needed some time to adjust to the smaller portions.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Open up your diary so we can help :]

Unless you mean started today i suppose heh
  • Adam1973
    Options
    I've found that eggs in the morning keep me full for a long time. They help me hold out longer before lunch. Then, if you can manage a late-lunch, you can go small because dinner is just around the corner.

Bananas are a good "full" food too.

Anyone have anything others?

AC
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    You may have to slowly reduce your portion sizes. Don't stop when you're full, stop if you're not actually physically hungry. Your body may need to relearn what a portion size is, as your stomach may have stretched to accomodate your usual input.
  • RogerF765
    Options
    I find that if I eat foods that are high in protien as well as a lot of whole grains it tends keep me full. I also try to eat every three or four hours so I don't get too hungry between meals.
  • Jdine
    Jdine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats are the best thing for satiation.. Fat contains a hormone which regulates your appetite called cholecystokinin. Dont eat fat free everything or your hunger will always be out of control. Try adding some natural almonds, Natural PB, Avocado, Extra virgin olive oil or omega 3 fatty acids from fish like salmon to help control your hunger.

Eating more complex carbs will help too.. Things like steel cut oats, long grain brown rice, sweet potato, whole grain wheat pasta. They break down slower in the body and give you longer lasting energy. Protein does nothing for appetite suppression.
  • Jycooper
    Options
    It will take some time to get used to reducing your calorie intake. I was the same way. What helped me was to increase my fiber and protein. Hope this help you too :)
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Lots of water before and with meals helps a lot!
  • melissabee31
    Options
    Drink water! Drink a big glass of water before each meal can help fill your stomach before food does.

Eat slowly. Even if you can eat something in like 3 minutes, extend your mealtimes to at least 8 minutes, if not more. Take a bite. chew the entire thing slowly. Take a sip of water. Have another bite. I've taken 15 minutes to eat my lunch before. Also, focusing on your food while you eat helps you realize you are becoming full. Don't ever eat in front of the TV or computer. It can cause you to space out and not mentally register the food.

I find oatmeal (real oatmeal, not instant) keeps me full for a long time. So does brown rice. Hope this helps!
  • chefgorman
    chefgorman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    A banana or an apple as a snack and before I work out in the morning. In beginning it is an adjustment. I also find that I am less hungry when I have worked out that day.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    lots of fiber and protein helped me. Also I eat 4 to 6 times a day. It took me about 6 weeks to adjust to the smaller portions.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Often people aren't full because they don't eat the right foods. I can eat 1600 and be ravenous or 1200 and be full....and it all depends on what foods I ate that day.

Load up on veggies. You can eat a LOT...full of nutrients and fiber and relatively low calorie. Then lean protein: 3 oz per meal. Follow that up with good carbs like fruit, brown rice, rolled oats (not instant) and sweet potatoes.

And be sure to drink 8-10 glasses of water every day. That can work wonders on your hunger level.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    I try to hold out for breakfast until after 8 when I'm at work. I bring a green smoothie with me in a quart jar between 400-600 calories, with lots of protein and healthy fats, and sip on it for 45 minutes. The longer food takes for me to eat, it seems the longer I stay full. My current fave is 2 cups spinach leaves, 1 cup almond milk, 1 cup water, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 3/4 cup frozen berries, 1 banana, 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder, 1 tbsp coconut oil. Then I can eat less lunch, 300-400 calories, spread out through the rest of the day and make it to dinner. Whew!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I agree with the protein suggestion. Have some kind of protein at every meal and have it for a snack when you're hungry. Almonds make an easy, packable snack. But you have to practice portion control with nuts. They're easy things to over eat without realizing it. Count them out and leave the rest at home. :)
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled egg. As someone said, REAL oatmeal (you can add fruit). Tuna sandwich. Peanut Butter sandwich (Try to find the all natural kind. It has less sugar.).
  • Brendamp
    Brendamp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, protein and fresh fruits and veggies. Also, I find I feel more satisfied when I eat food I like, rather than trying to eat "diet food". Find some smart foods you really enjoy and incorporate them, including some treats. Favorites of mine are String Cheese, eggs, Trader Joe's 'just the chicken', blueberries, cherry tomatoes, and Skinny Cow White Mint Truffle ice cream bars. I find that the more convenient the food is, the easier it is to stick with it. Those tubes of low-fat yogurt stuck in the freezer are a winner too! :) I really feel like I got the hang of making this easy when I learned not to deprive myself. Heck, if I want a piece or two of pizza, I have it...but then I know I have to be careful what I eat the rest of the day!

Good luck!
  • BeeElleTea
    Options
    I agree with adding fiber and protein to feel full longer. Also, it helps me to monitor my water intake. If I'm between 5-8 cups (still low I know) I'm not nearly as hungry as the days when I barely drink any water. I've also learned that if I want to have a bingeless evening, I'd better have a dinner w/ a bit of everything (fat/carbs/protein) in it.

just keep experimenting until you find what works for you :)

eta: my faves to keep me full are boiled eggs, yogurt, cheese, black beans, carrots, and cottage cheese and fresh fruit. I'm still working on the veggies...
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    High fiber foods help you feel full. Fats may make you feel full at first, but tend to process so quickly that you soon feel hungry. Fruits, vegetables, whole grain cereals like oatmeal, multi grain cheerios, and whole grain breads like multi-grain wheat bread all have more fiber. Drink several cups of water daily. Emotions play such a strong role in our hunger pangs. Decide if you are really hungry or if you are looking for a comfort food. Emotional bingeing has been a lifelong problem for me. I work on it daily. Some people need prayer, meditation, soothing music, or whatever you know will calm the emotions and help you get through the hunger pangs. Some days are easier than others. Remember to read posts, make friends for support, and you are not on a diet! You are changing your behavior for yourself for whatever reason, finding better fitting clothes, your health, etc. Good luck!

• chicainthesd
    chicainthesd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    wow thank you guys! lots of awesome advice! and a lot to take in... u guys are the best! :)