Alternative weights? No fingers on left hand

Options
PawWriter
PawWriter Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all! So, I've been using a resistance band for home workouts and machines at the gym for strength training, but would love to try many of the dumbbell exercises listed on MFP. The problem I have is that I have no fingers on my left hand (loop handles on the band and matched handles on machines negate this) so can't hold individual dumbbells/kettlebells in each hand.
So, any ideas on alternatives that can be used without having to grip an object for dumbbell-style exercises?
Thanks in advance for any input!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,282 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Weight lifting hooks were the first thing I thought of, although that would only work for a limited number of exercises, since the hooks are open.

Something like this is 'closed', but not sure if it works well without any fingers:
    https://www.activenable.com/active-hands-limb-difference-grip-aid-right.html
    They also have wrist bands with loops and D-rings, which would be useful for cable exercises.
  • LieaCan
    LieaCan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Some of this guys videos might be helpful to you. (you have to scroll a bit - the workout videos are mixed in with his family stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/user/mapleleafdc

(since it looks from your post like you're new to free weights, just for my own peace of mind I'll add: have a session or two with a trainer if you can, - some lifts can be surprisingly tecnhical for a sport where you just pick things up and put them down, and doing it wrong can cause real, lasting damage.)
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I have wrist weights, filled with sand sacklets, which you can put in or take out to adjust weights. Some are filled with small metal pieces.

Search for "adjustable wrist weights". Hope this helps! 🌻 Stay strong, stay healthy! 🍀
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I don't have specific dumbbell exercises.

Though a couple of my lifters with what sounds very similar situations are able to do barbell squats, flat and incline bench, and deadlifts (with a hook).

Do you think that is a possibility?
  • Gar3th4
    Gar3th4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I've seen the above mentioned Active Hands Limb Difference Aid in use and it works really well. It's specifically designed for people who are missing fingers so it would definitely work for you and solve the problems you're currently having. Hope this helps :)