What percentage of Fat/ Carb /Protien is best?

Options
sejx
sejx Posts: 14 Member
Does everyone use the set percentage ratio set by MFP or do people set theirs differently ( i.e. less carbs)

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Depends. There's no "best".

I'd suggest focussing on calories first, and then tweaking with the other macros.

That said, the default on MFP is a bit high in carbs and low on protein, so those are the first 2 I'd alter. Choose what else you feel is important to YOU to monitor - sodium, fat, sugar (again, the MFP setting is low, and if you eat any fruit at all you'll be over)
  • martinh78
    Options
    I've set mine for higher protein and lower fat. That's because I want to build lean muscle.

Seems to be working...

In 40 days my fat has dropped 1.1% muscle has gone up by 1% and my weight has dropped by 14lbs.

Of course a lot of exercise has gone in over the last 40 days as well!
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    how do you make those changes?
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Go to MY HOME --> Goals

Click "Change Goals"

Select "Custom"

Make the changes.

My setting is 50% carbs, 35% protein, 15% fat.
    MFP sets the protein way too low.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    You change them by clicking on My Home, Goals, Change Goals, Custom.

I've personally got mine set to 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carbs - BUT I'm following a low carb plan very similar to Atkins.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Depends what your goals are but for women I like to recommend around 35%protein 35%carbs 30%fat

This will help to preserve muscle while losing fat, give you energy for your workouts, and keep your hormone levels intact.
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Excellent, thanks for the help and the % suggestions. My weigh week starts tomorrow. Looks like i'll be making some changes.
  • Wilfred808
    Options
    none. i aim for 1g of protein per pound of bw and .45 grams of fat per pound of bw. i use the rest of my cals for carbs and additional protein and fat.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings from the MFP default to 80% carbs, 10% fat, 10% protein.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    duplicate
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options

why????

You need fat and protein in your diet. 10% is WAY too low for both
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I changed my MFP settings to 20% carbohydrates - 50% fat - 30% protein
    This is low-ish carbs which come mostly from vegetables, some fruit, and when I have no self control, a glass of wine :-)
  • vanfammon
    vanfammon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been using what it set for me but I am not losing any weight. How can you re-set the carb setting?
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options

why????

You need fat and protein in your diet. 10% is WAY too low for both
    Because it's what works for me. It is not way too low for both, I do get fat and protein in my diet.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have been using what it set for me but I am not losing any weight. How can you re-set the carb setting?

On Home page => Goals in menu bar => Change goals => Custom goals => adjust to whatever goals you want and then click Change Goals to save.
  • ellie527
    Options
    Mine is 5/35/60 (carbs/protein/fat)
  • sejx
    sejx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks yes thats what i thought the carbs do seem hi and protein low. just not sure what to set them at or just wait a while first