Need help to get losing again

Hey everyone! I've lost 68 pounds in aprox 1 year. I currently weigh 166 (I'm only 5foot 3) and I would like to lose atleast 16 more pounds... if not more. I work out 3x a week on my treadclimber and just started doing the Jillian Michael's ripped in 30 video.
But since July, I have been stuck at 166 and can't seem to get past it. I've tried a bunch of different things like.... eating more calories, eating less calories, changing my exercise routine, eating more protien/less carbs, more fruits & veggies, etc etc. I don't know what else to do to get the scale moving again.
It's really frustrating and any help or ideas on how to get things moving again is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Are you still drinking at least 64 ounces of water every day?
  • speedyme
    speedyme Posts: 86 Member
    Maybe focus on salt, fat and sugars! Not sure what your eating but it's worked for me.
  • Are you still drinking at least 64 ounces of water every day?
    oh yes! probably more then that!
  • Maybe focus on salt, fat and sugars! Not sure what your eating but it's worked for me.
    I'm usually right on target with fat, under for sodium & either right on track or a little over on the sugar. guess I can work on getting the sugar lower.
  • petey247
    petey247 Posts: 9 Member
    Hi, this is my boat. Hop in. :)

I hit 62 pounds lost the first week of May; I also hit a healthy BMI, had my thyroid medicine increased and realized I was within 15 lbs of my goal weight all in the same week. I tried all of the same things you've tried. Eating more, eating less, zig zagging. Drinking more water, drinking less. Exercising more, exercising less. I jumped off the bike and started running, then swimming, then all three. Each time I would switch a tactic, I would stick with it for two weeks and change the tactic again if I didn't see any results. The lbs weren't coming off and neither were the inches.

I finally found the key to losing weight and breaking the dreaded plateau. If you are at your wits end, the answer is

stop trying....

Stop trying to lose weight for 30 days. Take a month off of intense workouts and enjoy hitting your maintenance calorie goal each day. You've been dieting and exercising for a year - your body needs to know what normal calorie consumption days feel like.

I'm not saying give up for good, just take a break and restrict your workouts to 2 days a week. At the end of your break, you'll be ready to start fresh and your body will be more receptive to hard work and calorie deficits.

What have you got to lose? Really? I struggled for 3 months (May till the end of July) to lose 2 lbs banging my head against a wall the whole time. I took a break and started back on my diet two weeks ago and have already lost 3lb. And the best part is, I now know that I have what it takes to not only finish, but to maintain my loss for the rest of my life. I couldn't see these positives through the frustration I was feeling until I took a step back. So, if you are truly at wits end, take the step back.

I hope this helps, and good luck on your journey!
  • Hi, this is my boat. Hop in. :)

I hit 62 pounds lost the first week of May; I also hit a healthy BMI, had my thyroid medicine increased and realized I was within 15 lbs of my goal weight all in the same week. I tried all of the same things you've tried. Eating more, eating less, zig zagging. Drinking more water, drinking less. Exercising more, exercising less. I jumped off the bike and started running, then swimming, then all three. Each time I would switch a tactic, I would stick with it for two weeks and change the tactic again if I didn't see any results. The lbs weren't coming off and neither were the inches.

I finally found the key to losing weight and breaking the dreaded plateau. If you are at your wits end, the answer is

stop trying....

Stop trying to lose weight for 30 days. Take a month off of intense workouts and enjoy hitting your maintenance calorie goal each day. You've been dieting and exercising for a year - your body needs to know what normal calorie consumption days feel like.

I'm not saying give up for good, just take a break and restrict your workouts to 2 days a week. At the end of your break, you'll be ready to start fresh and your body will be more receptive to hard work and calorie deficits.

What have you got to lose? Really? I struggled for 3 months (May till the end of July) to lose 2 lbs banging my head against a wall the whole time. I took a break and started back on my diet two weeks ago and have already lost 3lb. And the best part is, I now know that I have what it takes to not only finish, but to maintain my loss for the rest of my life. I couldn't see these positives through the frustration I was feeling until I took a step back. So, if you are truly at wits end, take the step back.

I hope this helps, and good luck on your journey!

Thanks! It's nice to know that I'm not alone.
    I'm going to have to try "taking a break" and see how that goes! maybe it will do the trick!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Frustrating!!! For me, I had to put my calories to maintenance, eat 75% of my exercice calories, reduce my cardio, add heavy weight lifting. I lost 1.2 pound in 1-2 weeks.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Hey everyone! I've lost 68 pounds in aprox 1 year. I currently weigh 166 (I'm only 5foot 3) and I would like to lose atleast 16 more pounds... if not more. I work out 3x a week on my treadclimber and just started doing the Jillian Michael's ripped in 30 video.
    But since July, I have been stuck at 166 and can't seem to get past it. I've tried a bunch of different things like.... eating more calories, eating less calories, changing my exercise routine, eating more protien/less carbs, more fruits & veggies, etc etc. I don't know what else to do to get the scale moving again.
    It's really frustrating and any help or ideas on how to get things moving again is greatly appreciated.

I have a couple questions, first if you don't mind me asking, how old are you (if you want, send it over private message)? Second, how long did you try the eating more routine? It takes a while for the body to adjust. But if you provide me the age, I will run some numbers and hopefully figure out an about goal for you in terms of caloric needs. Then we can adjust ratios of carbs/protein/fat and it shoudl help.

Also, do you think you can make your food diary public?
  • Hey everyone! I've lost 68 pounds in aprox 1 year. I currently weigh 166 (I'm only 5foot 3) and I would like to lose atleast 16 more pounds... if not more. I work out 3x a week on my treadclimber and just started doing the Jillian Michael's ripped in 30 video.

I have a couple questions, first if you don't mind me asking, how old are you (if you want, send it over private message)? Second, how long did you try the eating more routine? It takes a while for the body to adjust. But if you provide me the age, I will run some numbers and hopefully figure out an about goal for you in terms of caloric needs. Then we can adjust ratios of carbs/protein/fat and it shoudl help.

Also, do you think you can make your food diary public?

Sorry, I just saw this now. I don't mind putting my age here, but I'm going to PM you in case you don't check back into this message since it's been a few days
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

Sorry, I just saw this now. I don't mind putting my age here, but I'm going to PM you in case you don't check back into this message since it's been a few days

no worries I replied.