numbness in toes while working out

Options
yesterday while i was doing the eliptical machine i started to get numbness/tingling in my feet and toes. has anyone else ever experienced this. it only started towards the end of my 30 minutes but i coulnd't figure out why.

Replies

• kkylstad
    Options
    yesterday while i was doing the eliptical machine i started to get numbness/tingling in my feet and toes. has anyone else ever experienced this. it only started towards the end of my 30 minutes but i coulnd't figure out why.
  • its time for change
    Options
    Were your shoes to tight?
  • kkylstad
    Options
    Were your shoes to tight?

I don't think so. sometimes i feel like they could be tighter.
  • alaskagal
    Options
    YES! I've had this multiple times. I don't know for sure but I'm assuming it has to do with the pressure that we are putting on our toes while working out that doesn't allow for adequate blood flow to the area, but I'm just guessing on this.

I've been trying to equalize the pressure in my foot a bit more and will occasionally reposition my foot to allow for better blood flow. Some days it works better than others. It does seem that the longer I've been working out the less it's been happening. Maybe I'm in better shape or maybe unconsciously I'm just adjusting for it, I dunno. :tongue:

Anyone else?
  • filergirl
    Options
    I get this too, only when I'm on the elliptical. Not sure what causes it, yet.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    OOOOH, I just read about this.

Since your feet are "stuck" on the pedals, and not moving freely like when actual walking, they get numb.

Alaskagal is dead on on this one.

Try wiggling your toes around whenever you remember to. It helps.

But, it's not hurting you, it's normal.
  • filergirl
    Options
    Mystery solved! Thanks!
  • kkylstad
    Options
    thats a relief. thanks all!:happy:
  • mknott
    mknott Posts: 17
    Options
    I had this happen to me a lot, sometimes on the treadmill even. But then I discovered it was only when I wore a particular pair of tennis shoes! I no longer where those shoes and now I never have that numbness and tingling any more either. Maybe try a different pair of shoes?
  • leshik21
    leshik21 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is common during prolonged weight bearing exercise. It is not dangerous or anything. It is caused by prolonged pressure (standing, weight bearing exercise) on a small surface area (i.e your feet). Sometimes I have had clients that it gets so bad, they stop doing that particular exercise that causes it. For most people it is a manageable discomfort.

An easy way to limit this experience is to keep your feet flush to the pedal. Now this is one of the main differences between lower and higher end peices of equipment. You will probably notice that on your elliptical you rock up on the ball of your foot while performing the exercise. Hence, you have taken a small surface area (your foot) and made it smaller by putting your same weight on a fraction of your foot. If anyone has ever tried a Precor elliptical or a Cybex Arc trainer at the gym or home, you will find a much lower chance of this happening.

For anyone who wants any tips on buying an elliptical, click on this link:
    http://www.precor.com/pdf/choose_efx_ENGLISH.pdf

It is on Precor's website. They were the people who created the elliptical category, so they would know.

Best of Luck!!!!
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I noticed the past two times that Ive gone to the gym (I do the 30 minute circuit) that the tip of my nose goes numb towards the end. Anyone ever had this or is there something wrong with me? It only happens when Im working EXTRA EXTRA hard.
  • kkylstad
    Options
    I noticed the past two times that Ive gone to the gym (I do the 30 minute circuit) that the tip of my nose goes numb towards the end. Anyone ever had this or is there something wrong with me? It only happens when Im working EXTRA EXTRA hard.

that is EXCATLY what i had. almost always in the tip of my toes and it happens during circuit as well. leshik21 had some great advice on this.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    This can happen for a lot of reasons, like all of the above, also when you have children and go through pregnancies it is quit possible that your foot is bigger and or wider. I have found that for exercising I have to by a men's shoe because they are bigger in the ball and toe area and allow my toes to stay free. Also, with the particular movement you make on the elliptical, it has a tendency to put most of the pressure on the front of the foot, you may want to get a 1/2 size larger shoe next time.

I do both of these, if I end up with a woman's shoe size I get a 1/2 larger and if I choose a men's shoe I stay at my normal size. either way it works.
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me on the elliptical.
    My trainer says its because i put more pressure on my toes than my heels. When it happens I stop & go backwards for about a minute until the feeling comes back.
    Also try a different elliptical machine as for me at my gym it seems to happen more on one particular machine than on some of the others.

SG :glasses:
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Yep...happens to me all the time too. I've found that if I switch the direction it helps. For example: 15 minutes pedeling forward and then 15 minutes pedeling backwards and then repeat=1 hour. Sometimes I break it into smaller intervals. This gives a good eliptical workout and helps to avoid complete numbness in the toes. And wiggling them helps too!

*Kistinbee*
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Yes, it has happened to me as well and only on the ellipticals. I use my heels when I do this machine. I try to wiggle them and use them more if that happens...I don't use them as much anymore...:happy:
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My NOSE and part of my face goes numb. Maybe im just crazy:cry:
  • alaskagal
    Options
    My NOSE and part of my face goes numb. Maybe im just crazy:cry:

Don't think you're going crazy or if so we'll go together. :tongue: I've experienced this as well as other random body parts (we've already discussed the toes earlier). I think it's a circulatory issue with me. At least that's what I'm telling myself. I haven't asked my doctor about it though. But you're right it generally after I've been working EXTRA hard.

Anyone else? Or are we the only two crazy ones?
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I have had trouble with this as well but not just on the elliptical. Someone suggested lacing my shoes every other hole...it worked!! Try it and see if it helps you at all!
  • MiaEllie
    Options
    I've had substantial numbness in my toes while using a Nordic Track, while walking outside, while on the tread mill, and while on the elliptical. When I'm on the elliptical, I transfer the pressure/weight to my heels for a while while going forward and also the pressure is relieved by going backward. This helps a lot.

I've asked other people in person if they've ever had numbness and they always replied with a "no". Hearing on MFP that other people have this problem as well is helpful! I'm not glad that other people have this issue I'm just glad that I'm not crazy!:tongue: