Eating out at restaurants... Help!

Options
Hi MFP! So at least once a week sometimes my friends or my boyfriend loves to go out to eat.. dinner or lunch most of the time during a day of the weekend lol. Well it just so happens my best friend wants to go to dinner tomorrow night.. she completely supports me eating healthier so I was wondering if any of you have any reccomendations as far as restaurants or anything and what do you usually order from there that isn't so high in cals AND sodium / sugar??

Any responses are appreciated, THANKS! :)

Replies

• Barbj56
    Barbj56 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Stay away from buffets!!!!!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    a lot of restaurants have the breakdown on calories, fat, sodium.. (you get the idea) start there and don't be afraid to ask them to make changes. Order a side salad.. try to fill up on that and just say not to bread...lol
  • Wow41543
    Options
    I like Bob Evans. They have a fit menu with lower calorie items. We never ate there much but now I like it. I got a meal the other night for about 425 calories. It was filling. Chicken, baked potato & broccoli. If I know I'm going out to eat I usually try to look up the menu before I go so I know how much to allow for that meal. I will eat low calories for the other meals.
  • HerkyMom
    Options
    bump! Thanks!
  • NickiStone
    NickiStone Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Scan the menu and mix and match based on what you feel are better choices. If the fish you want has potatoes as a side and the beef has veggies... then just ask for the Fish with veggies. Most places are more than happy to accommodate you.
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    These are just some basics, but here they go: Look for grilled items instead of fried. Ask to have your food prepared with no butter. If eating a salad, remember most dressings have tons of calories (ask for oil and vinegar instead). Don't eat it all (most restaurants have huge portions), get a to-go box instead.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to enjoy the dinner with your best friend. I'm not trying to be snarky, but eating out is a,reality that needs to be managed. Most places have something reasonable from which to choose. Make smart choices and when ordering and ask for a box for left overs brought when your meal is delivered. When it arrives, box up half and take it home.
  • ghoth
    Options
    Bump... Thanks!
  • ZoAnnAlexis
    Options
    Order whatever you would like, plus a side salad and a to-go box. When you get your meal, cut all portions (except for the salad) in half and put them in the to-go box before you even eat (out of site, out of mind). Then make sure you eat the side salad first so that your tummy is full of fiber and the half portions are enough to satisfy you! I love this trick because then you get your favorites for lunch the next day too :)