Cracking/Popping Knees?

Options
sc1572
sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
Lately, about the last week or so, I've been super sore. However, I've found that my knees actually start burning during exercise, or right after. Also, whenever I walk, they tend to crack a lot.

I haven't changed my workouts at all, and each day average 60 minutes of a mixture between stationary biking, treadmill, elliptical, and walking/running outside. I stretch a little before and after, and hydrate during.

About two months ago I sprained my right ankle, but it's been doing a lot better and I barely have problems anymore except random swelling or pain. So, I know this isn't contributing to it since it's both knees.

Any ideas what this could be, or what I could do to make it stop? The only change in my daily routine is that I walk around campus a lot or sometimes have to stand on the bus, since school started about two weeks ago.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• harriet_tubman
    Options
    i have the same problem, my doctor told me to look into a knee brace to wear while running.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Glucosamine supplements. Helps me with the pain, but the crackly sounds remain (painless). I use a knee brace if I know my run is going to involve a lot of downhill.
  • RickinNH
    RickinNH Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I suspect that a doctor might tell you to give your body a rest if it is bothering you.
  • harriet_tubman
    Options
    yes, that too. ^

i forgot about the glucosamine.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ajl88
    ajl88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Quite honestly it's probably a strength deficit somewhere around your hips. If you're not strong at your hips it will effect the way your knee joint works, and can basically cause contact between your bones. This can actually cause small amounts of inflammation in the joint. It's incredibly important for females to strengthen their gluts and hamstrings because these muscles help keep you in the right position all the way down to your feet! Stretching out your hamstrings, gluts, and quads may be helpful for you too!

Cracking and popping is actually fine as long as it's not hurting when it happens, it could just be tightness in your tendons.

(Physical Therapy major in my last year of study)
  • crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    I actually have the same problem. I went to an Orthopedic Surgeon and he said my knee was out of alignment. A muscle was crossing over the knee when bending it.

Probably due to the fact the prior to my exercising and weight loss I was pretty inactive. He also said that a lot of people do exercises that strenghten the inner muscles of the legs around the knees and dont do much for the outer ones.

An exercise he gave me to start off with was to sit on a chair and lift one leg straight out. When you do it you should lock the knee tight, flex the leg, and hold it in the air for 10 seconds. Do 3 reps of this 3x a day. My knee is getting better doing this. Maybe it could help you?

As for the burn in your knees are you making sure that you are having rest days? It could just be fatigue.
  • aliciarenee79
    aliciarenee79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Google crepitus. I have had this same issue since I was little. I've never had any real pain, but lots of crackling and popping noises when I go up stairs, or do squats. Years ago my family doctor said it was nothing to worry about if there wasn't pain. He didn't order xrays or do any kind of real tests, so who knows.
  • HerkyMom
    Options
    bump
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I actually have the same problem. I went to an Orthopedic Surgeon and he said my knee was out of alignment. A muscle was crossing over the knee when bending it.

Probably due to the fact the prior to my exercising and weight loss I was pretty inactive. He also said that a lot of people do exercises that strenghten the inner muscles of the legs around the knees and dont do much for the outer ones.

An exercise he gave me to start off with was to sit on a chair and lift one leg straight out. When you do it you should lock the knee tight, flex the leg, and hold it in the air for 10 seconds. Do 3 reps of this 3x a day. My knee is getting better doing this. Maybe it could help you?

As for the burn in your knees are you making sure that you are having rest days? It could just be fatigue.

Have the same problem. Gonna have to try this. thanks!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Lately, about the last week or so, I've been super sore. However, I've found that my knees actually start burning during exercise, or right after. Also, whenever I walk, they tend to crack a lot.

I haven't changed my workouts at all, and each day average 60 minutes of a mixture between stationary biking, treadmill, elliptical, and walking/running outside. I stretch a little before and after, and hydrate during.

About two months ago I sprained my right ankle, but it's been doing a lot better and I barely have problems anymore except random swelling or pain. So, I know this isn't contributing to it since it's both knees.

Any ideas what this could be, or what I could do to make it stop? The only change in my daily routine is that I walk around campus a lot or sometimes have to stand on the bus, since school started about two weeks ago.

Thanks! :)
    Slight changes in your gait while exercising can do this. The usually cracking and popping is from a tendon popping over a joint. Repetitive movements where your knees might be coming together with every stride can cause this. Make sure you knees travel over your toes. Also I would at least do one to two strength exercises for legs.