Today is my Birthday - I weigh 332 pounds - I am scared

Options
IronLady1963
IronLady1963 Posts: 8 Member
edited November 2020 in Introduce Yourself
January 29th, 2019 I signed on here. I weighed 335 pounds. Today in the morning 332 lbs.

3 pounds difference. What am I doing? I have been down to 205 lbs and then a pandemic came and I had an excuse to eat wrong. I eat too much. I don't move enough. What does it take for me to change? I am 57 years old. I am a ticking timebomb and I know it. Why can't I stop eating and eating? All the success stories, I know them and I look at them over and over. They lose weight. I don't.

Where will I be on my 58 birthday and how much will weigh? Will I be still alive? I can hardly move. I have to take breaks and sit down just walking in the house. I need help. How can I not be motivated?

Happy Birthday to me. Can I give me 365 days of change? I need to get my act together or there might not be another birthday.

Replies

• dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! ๐Ÿ’

You can get your act together and you will! Be another success story yourselfโฃ

To fight the eating, get moving! Find a YouTube workout that you can do (there are also walking workouts out there), put on the music that you like and go for it! Start small, short, light. After the workout you'll feel tired, but happy and thirsty! So drink water first. Only later you can grab something to eat. Which you worked for! ๐Ÿ™Œ (all subject to what your doctor thinks is doable, mine are just suggestions!)

There are two approaches: cold turkey or gradually. Find out what works for you. Maybe fasting till 10 or 11 or 12 will help you with the munchies? Maybe not eating past 6 p.m.? Or detail planing and meal prep?

When you feel like munching, make yourself some tea. Mild fruity (like orange) tea. Or some flavoured winter tea.

You are worth it and can change the course of things. Dont beat yourself up if you fail one day, two days in a row. Just get back to it! ๐ŸŒป
  • ibrake4bunnies
    ibrake4bunnies Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday. I've been doing some fabulous50s walking workouts on youtube recently, they're super gentle and easy on knees. You are worth taking care of, and the best birthday present you can give yourself is health.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I know you can decide to let the weight go and face the feelings. It's scary, but they are just feelings, they can't harm you. May this year be the best year of your life!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a birthday gift--good health. Start with a walk. 5 min if it's all you can do, next week do 10 min, the week after 15, and so on. If it's winter where you are then go to YouTube and pick something easy and do that for 5 min, then 10, ....

Get a digital food scale and start weighing and measuring everything you eat and drink. Plug your stats into MFP and get your daily calorie goal. Try to stay within it everyday. That's really all you need to do to start. See how it goes. I really wish you the best of luck.
  • BluRuss03
    BluRuss03 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday to you!

Firstly it's a great start that for your "new" year, you are already thinking of your health and wanting to be more accountable to yourself. That is one step forward. Second, you have posted here and asked for help. This is another step in the right direction.

You say you have already lost weight, and quite a lot, so practically you know how it's done.
    Many of the previous posters above have given great ideas of practical measures for how to gently ease yourself into the emotional and physical space which leads to becoming healthier.

Start with thinking about today, can you do a five minute walk, maybe just go outside? Plan a nice and healthy meal? or write a meal plan /shopping list of healthy ingredients to buy so you will have better meals in the days to come? Drink a large glass of water before/between meals? Put in your stats & new goal into MFP? One small act at a time.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've been spinning my wheels for several years now and finally had enough - for me tracking is key so I thought maybe an accountability partner.
  • IronLady1963
    IronLady1963 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great advice and the birthday wishes. I have to put words into action. I have to be confident that I can do it. So many tips. I appreciate it.
  • thebiblewithtina
    thebiblewithtina Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Watch my 600Ib Life over and over again. It'll spur you on to lose the weight. I'm only 142Ibs and I watched an episode yesterday. I got up and added salad to my meal.
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Welcome and Happy Birthday! You can do this. I am 61 and finally realized I needed to get serious about my weight. You need to find what works for you. For me I found that making small changes was helpful in the begining. I now exercise for a minimum of 150 min. per week. I log everything I eat. I stick to between 1200-1400 calories per day. For me being strict about the number of calories a day doesn't work. I log everything. I measure my food but I don't currently weigh it. I don't eat back my exercise calories. I look at exercise as something I do for health, not for weight loss. I am losing about 5 pounds per month, but I will often go a couple of weeks without losing qnything and then take a 2-3 pound drop. I will go up and down from there for a while (within a pound or so) then take another drop. I know my approach will not work for everyone but it is working for me. I have been down this road too many times, I need to make this a life style change that I can live with forever. I know that you can find what works and do it. You will not do it perfectly and that is ok. You will learn, you will get healthy and you will achieve your goals.