Eating Back Exercise Calories

Options
I do not understand this method for weight loss.

Surely the whole point of exercise is to create a daily calorific deficit so that the body burns fat.

If you're eating the exercise calories back then surely your body mass will remain constant.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a joke, like seriously.

Read the thinks above or just think about it.

If I get 1400 calories a day. And then I work out and gain an extra 200 calories. Now I can eat 1600 calories total and my deficit is the same, so I still lose the expected amount of weight.

Sometimes I eat all my exercise calories back and sometimes I eat a portion, depends on how hungry I am. I usually burn 300-400 calories exercising. I consistently lose the expected 1 lb a week, sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less depending on what I’ve splurged on that week.
  • xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don’t eat them back unless the exercise causes a deficit of 1200 or less, OR im really craving something & thanks to exercise I have the extra calories. But ideally, I don’t eat them back. I don’t understand it either. And it’s likely that my fitness pal thinks we’re burning more than we are so they could be sabotaging their selves by it.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,594 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell, when you joined mfp, you chose a level of weight loss (.5, 1, 1.5, 2 lbs a week). MFP then gave you a calorie goal dependent on gender, age, activity level. This goal already included the corresponding deficit (250, 500, 750, 1000 calories a week). Purposeful exercise creates more of a deficit which isn't always a good thing.

Yes, if you use mfp's exercise calculations, they might be over estimated. Or they might not. Wouldn't you rather be able to eat more if you can?

I know I would.

And I did.

I lost 120ish lbs eating every last point (when I was on weight watchers) and calorie my no longer sedentary body earned with a year of said overestimating of exercise calories via fitbit thrown in for good measure.

Eat at least a portion of your exercise calories back and reevaluate your weight loss after about 6 weeks.
  • distortedvision78
    distortedvision78 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My point is weight loss is greater if you don't eat your exercise calories back.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,594 Member
    Options
    My point is weight loss is greater if you don't eat your exercise calories back.

See above.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    So, I don’t exercise to lose weight. It’s an added benefit if it helps create a SLIGHTLY larger deficit. Trying to drop it like it’s hot is a sure fire way to fail miserably. Slow and steady gets you to goal and STAYING at goal is done by creating sustainable habits along the way.

@xodreamariexo the calories burned by said exercise are often overestimated by the people who input the activities. Most of us can get an idea of what we actually burn (for example my dog walks: I use a gps that tells me distance and average speed, then I subtract out any stops for the dogs to get a drink or play). I subtract 20% off any burn that cardio machines give me and I go with an extremely conservative number for weight lifting.

My activity level is sedentary (desk job) and mfp sets my calorie goal as such. Then I add in my exercise. I don’t think there is such a thing as “you MUST eat all these calories back”, but I earned them and I’m going to eat some of them back. It would also be unhealthy weight loss if I didn’t eat them back on weekends when I go hiking. If I do an all day hike, I can burn upwards of 800 calories. I only eat 1400. If I didn’t eat most of that 800 back, I would be well below 1200. I like to have energy also, and frankly, for the crowd who never eats those calories back, it will catch up with you and you will crash at some point.

Best of luck
  • xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My point to my original comment is that I don’t exercise to be able to eat more, or create more of a deficit. I exercise to strengthen my heart & muscles. Some days I exercise I still eat over my calorie goal because it’s one of those days. Some days I exercise I eat just as must as if I didn’t exercise. Whatever it happens to be. I never plan to eat back my exercise calories but many times I do. However if the exercise caused an unhealthy deficit, which rarely happens(I usually eat a lot & I’m not huge on exercise so I never do more than 30 min of cardio in one day), I make sure to consume a healthy amount. BEFORE you judge you need to understand a person’s situation. If I eat all of my calorie goal of 2000 calories for example, & burn 150 calories on the elliptical for 20 minutes, I will be fine not eating those calories back.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    My point to my original comment is that I don’t exercise to be able to eat more, or create more of a deficit. I exercise to strengthen my heart & muscles. Some days I exercise I still eat over my calorie goal because it’s one of those days. Some days I exercise I eat just as must as if I didn’t exercise. Whatever it happens to be. I never plan to eat back my exercise calories but many times I do. However if the exercise caused an unhealthy deficit, which rarely happens(I usually eat a lot & I’m not huge on exercise so I never do more than 30 min of cardio in one day), I make sure to consume a healthy amount. BEFORE you judge you need to understand a person’s situation. If I eat all of my calorie goal of 2000 calories for example, & burn 150 calories on the elliptical for 20 minutes, I will be fine not eating those calories back.

@xodreamariexo you got so many disagrees because your original comment did NOT make that clear AT ALL. If I only burn 100 calories, I probably won’t even bother logging it or I might, but won’t eat those calories back because they won’t cause me to be hungry.

The OP seems to think that eating them back causes weight gain or at least causes less weight loss, which simply isn’t the way it works.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I eat back most of my exercise calories and still consistently lose weight.