Bodybugg and calorie burning.

Options
adross3
adross3 Posts: 606 Member
Ok. I've been gone a couple of days. I bought a bodybugg. It is a device that counts your calories by reading your heart rate, body heat and a couple of other things. I have learned that on a just below average physical day with no exerciese that I burned 2453 calories. MFP has me at 2320 per day. I will assume that on a normal day that I would be burning about 2800 calories. That is 500 cals less than MFP. I assume that is because MFP is an average judgement. They do not account for a muscular build. 1 lb of muscle burns 50 cals each day. I think that is what put me over the MFP guideline. I also learned that I burned 567 cals in my sleep.

Replies

• cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    That is very interesting. I have never heard of a bodybugg. I will have to look that one up.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    It is a great tool. Makes me sad that I have such a lousy metabolism, but at least I'm aware of it, so I can eat and exercise accordingly. (Average day, I burn under 1000 calories, not including deliberate exercise.)
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I love my Bodybugg!!!
  • tigersmoondiva
    tigersmoondiva Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I wanted one- but have decided against it just because from my understanding it doesn't even count my most common exercises very well. Swimming, Biking, and roller skating! :( Maybe in the next version
  • Chlolu
    Options
    Nothing is ever accurate to less than a few calories including: Average food calorie contents, average calorie intake, average calorie output during excercise, even the bodybugg only calculates an average! Weight loss or gain is affected by too many factors. tMFPor bodybugg will help to start up but eventually we should all learn to know our own needs. And that maybe a few 100s more or less caloies than MFP quotes.
  • adross3
    Options
    The only problem here is that you input your meals there also. It would be redundant to log into both places. It is not as complete as MFP. The user interface is much harder there. I guess that I will just have to get used to it. I bought mine on eBay. I picked up a used one for $70. Savy shopper. It then cost $80 for 6 months. No way around that. You can pick up a new one there for about $170 with a 6 mo. or 1 yr. I will explore all of my daily activities and work outs and log them for future references. Knowledge is power.

I've just read tigersmoondiva said that it doesn't count common exercises. I will say that it does. It counted my calories in my sleep. You just need to move the timeline and read the calories burned in that timeline. I will be posting more on this subject.

I am not affiliated or sell this product. I am just in search of my abs. I wanted to find out when and where I will use my Ccarbs and eating to give me the greatest potential. I will be on both sites and prefer MFP. But, like I said. MFP has a better interface, data base and community. I think that I have just decided to log my food here.

There is a difference at MFP vs. bodybugg. For my specific goals, bodybugg has me consuming over 2500 cals a day. MFP wants me to consume under 1820 cals per day. That is almost half.

After learning about nutrition here at MFP and seeing amazing results, I am going with MFP for recommended calorie intake. I am never hungry and I am loosing weight and gaining muscle. If it aint broke....don't fix it.
  • adross3
    Options
    Nothing is ever accurate to less than a few calories including: Average food calorie contents, average calorie intake, average calorie output during excercise, even the bodybugg only calculates an average! Weight loss or gain is affected by too many factors. tMFPor bodybugg will help to start up but eventually we should all learn to know our own needs. And that maybe a few 100s more or less caloies than MFP quotes.
    AAAAHHHHH.......NO. Bodybugg is not an average. It is a proven scientific fact. There is only a 10% possable difference. I will take that over a guess any day.
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    Exactly. MFP puts my BMR at 1555 per day. But I know that not to be the case, with the BodyBugg, which puts my BMR at quite a bit lower (and not coincidentally, at a closer rate to what the nutritionist determined).
  • athenakathleen
    athenakathleen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am super confused regarding how to log my calories in on the BodyBugg website. Can you help me?
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    When I was using my bodybugg faithfully, I loved it! I was burning less than what typical equations came up with for my body size and I was burning a lot less in spin class than I thought. I also realized that I really don't sleep very well at night!

Instead of logging all of my food in MFP and then the bodybugg website, I would just transfer the total calories eaten for the day to the bodybugg website from MFP.

Maybe I should consider going back to it.....
  • adross3
    Options
    I am super confused regarding how to log my calories in on the BodyBugg website. Can you help me?
    Their interface capital S Sucks. It took me a while to figure it out myself. I'm on my phone, but I'll give it my best.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    OK, way off topic here, but can you still use a v2 bodybugg? I know I will have to enroll on the site, but know of one for sale for a pretty good price, BUT it's a v2. I see that the newest is v3.
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    I do not bother to input calories eaten into the BodyBugg site. I hate the interface. I pull over my exercise calories from there into this site.
  • adross3
    Options
    OK, way off topic here, but can ou still use a v2 bodybugg? I know I will have to enroll on the site, but know of one for sale for a pretty good price, BUT it's a v2. I see that the newest is v3.
    [/quotea v2 works with a cool iPhone or Android. Learned that yesterday.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I don't have a bodybugg but MFP seems to be low for me too. I lost while consuming 2000 net calories on average, which should have been maintenance. I just upped my activity level to "active" in order to account for this.
  • adross3
    Options
    I don't have a bodybugg but MFP seems to be low for me too. I lost while consuming 2000 net calories on average, which should have been maintenance. I just upped my activity level to "active" in order to account for this.
    Today was a fairly active day for me. I ran 3k/312 cals and was busy at work. I burned 3158 total calories from 12a - 12a. I would put that just above average. MFP wants me to eat 1820 -500 for weight loss. That is 1,388 cals I have to eat to break even -500 for weight loss. Today I skipped my after lunch snack. I ate more today than I have in a while.