Am I eating enough?

Options
Hey there,
So I have been reading up that you shouldn't go lower than 1200 cals/day, I make sure to meet that each day, I always exceed my protein and fiber and have a good variety of meals: lean turkey/chicken meat/wheat whole grain bread/low cals stuff like mayo, I don't eat anything unhealthy like chocolate, soda, etc. The most unhealthiest is Miracle Whip Mayo and wheat bread, I also eat lots and lots of fruit and throw in veggies once or twice a day. I usually exceed all the nutritional stuff on the chart, except I need to thrown in more calcium, but everything else looks good. I also feel really full and satisfied through the whole day, sometimes I have to force myself to eat to meet my goals. I also eat 6-8 times a day, small meals through the day.

I read somewhere that as long as you eat enough you can loose weight by creating a deficit with exercise. I burn about 600-1000 cals a day through working out. Do I need to eat more or am I okay to remain with 1200 cals/day?

Has anyone done this and it worked out just fine? I am going to zig-zag my diet to make sure my body doesn't get used to it and plateau. So far I have been loosing weight but want to make sure this diet and exercise regime will work long term.

Thanks for all your help! :D

Replies

• kimthomasandaimee
    Options
    I'd eat about 1800 calories a day if my workouts burnt 1000 calories.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    read this. its soooo helpful! and made by an MFP member!

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/
  • dolldav2011
    dolldav2011 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you are staying at your caloric intake and not exceeding your fat grams...
    You should be ok... Fiber, is great!!! to exceed I think... I eat 1200 but burn 300 to 500 5 to 6 days
    a week.. This works for me....Sounds like you are eating foods high in Fiber and Proteins....
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i read that the 1,200 calorie thing is a myth. It is actually 600 calories or lower before the body goes into starvation mode...So if you burn 600 calories, you should eat at least 1,200. If you burn 1,000 you should eat at least 1,600 (according to the research I read). I would recommend more calories than 600 per day unless you are a legal midget like I am or are already extremely thin. ^.^

I'm not a doctor though ^.^
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.
  • shonasteele
    Options
    I'd eat about 1800 calories a day if my workouts burnt 1000 calories.
    ^^^This sounds about right to me.
    If you're eating 1200 but burning 800 on exercise, you're only netting about 400, which is too low.
  • CherryTop
    CherryTop Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That has been my problem all along ... I am way to active to eat just 1200.
    MFP wants me to eat 2100 calories today. I am following the plan but I cringe at the thought of eating that much. It was only 1700 but then I typed in my work outs for today. I am not much for eating any more today so I will juice some carrots , beets , GS apple & some ginger ... it will add some of those calories and taste like dessert to me. That juice is my favorite !
    Sounds like you need to eat more calories.
    Good luck !
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    if you can provide stuff like height, weight, age and body fat if you have it, then we can figure out what you should be eating. Also, a goal weight would help.
  • alisia709
    alisia709 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    eat more... healthy food.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    First, my experience. When I was, well quite a bit younger :), in my mid-20s, I was at a very healthy, lean weight. I exercised every day and my normal daily diet was low-fat, lean meats, and reasonable carbs. I ate "junk" food occasionally, but not terribly often. I started feeling "bad"… like something was wrong. I was tired and less focused. Things just weren't "right". I went to the doctor and they ran blood tests. According to them, I was healthier than the average person. For some reason, I started wondering if I ate enough. Mind you, I never felt hungry and I liked what I ate. But, anyway, I started tracking the calories I ate and the what I burned through exercise. What I found is that I was ending up with only around 600 calories a day to "live" on! It was not enough… at least not for me. It was quite liberating! Few times in my life (like maybe twice) have I actually been able to eat MORE. When I upped my calorie intake … just by eating more of what I was already eating… I started feeling like my old self again.

Here is a very small excerpt from the web page provided by another MFP person in this thread….

"Women who are cutting calories by as much as 60%, lifting weights 3 times per week, and performing high intensity sprints or circuits 5 days per week are a dime a dozen where I come from. Hell, some of these women might even throw a few lower intensity conditioning sessions into the mix as well. Their exercise load is that of an advanced athlete yet their calorie intake is that of a sedentary, 100 lb female. Not only are they depriving their bodies, but their neurotic tendencies are bordering on addiction.

Sure, a calorie deficit is necessary in order to tap into fat. But it seems that energy availability is a foreign concept to most people. They disregard the fact that after ‘calories in’ and ‘calories out’ are accounted for, there has to be something left to support health, muscle, energy, basal functions, and metabolism. The deeper you cut calories, the bigger the hit to recovery ability. Logic would tell us that if recovery ability is drastically reduced, it’d be wise to govern how much recovery is needed. But that’s not what’s happening when I see these people slaving away at soul crushing workloads and intensities day in and day out while being energy deprived."
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    P.S. As I've commented before, I completely admire your dedication and attitude. I love your willingness to learn, adjust, do the right thing for yourself. I'm glad you're my "friend". :flowerforyou:
  • CherryTop
    CherryTop Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great comment darlilama ! I needed to read this even if it was not intended for me