outdoor cold weather workout wear?

Options
Hi guys.. I've been hiking/walking for my exercise...and now that winter is coming.. I don't want to return to the gym..just because I've always caught colds and bugs at the gym and don't want chance things during the predicted COVID spike.

do any of you have suggestions on what brand of workout clothes work well for protection from the cold?

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy hiking, I wouldn’t go with specific work out clothing. Not sure where in the world you are, but if you live around an REI, check it out. I get my hiking gear there. As for hiking clothes though, the only things I bothered spending money on were some insulated boots for the snow, a light weight but super warm jacket, a face mask, glove liners and gloves, and some light weight long Jon’s.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hi guys.. I've been hiking/walking for my exercise...and now that winter is coming.. I don't want to return to the gym..just because I've always caught colds and bugs at the gym and don't want chance things during the predicted COVID spike.

do any of you have suggestions on what brand of workout clothes work well for protection from the cold?

The main thing is socks. Something thick and wool/alpaca/synthetic. (make sure you are not wearing cotton socks). Shoes that aren't too thin and/or constrictive. (XC running spikes generally a bad option for longer slower outings as they are both thin/mesh and fairly tight).

Gloves next.

I tend to otherwise be fine in most whatever I'm wearing. Socks and gloves are the main weak link for me I have to take care with.

I like the CuddlDuds baselayers I have from Target (no idea if they still carry them). Not necessarily as warm as the outdoor brand ones, but I find them more comfortable (and easier to roll up the sleeves than most of my other ones)(And I don't like base layers that are too warm - often overkill for me and you're stuck unable to layer down from them). (But I also often run in short sleeves and shorts w/ legwarmers or gaiters in the winter, so YMMV).

If a remote area, carry an extra layer and dry pair of socks, and one of the smaller emergency bivvy's/blankets would be a good idea. (This is a good idea in non-remote areas too if hiking instead of running and can carry extra stuff -- you get cold quick when idle and potentially sweaty and it takes a long time for help to arrive in even the best case scenario. (by best case scenario, I mean that the person with the broken ankle is on a pipeline drive-able by decent SUV in the same d**n county park as the responding sheriff department's office).

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

What temps are we talking?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Look at the Arc'teryx catalog, it's all hiking, climbing, and trail running gear. Extremely comfortable and performs very well. Find it on sale.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    In the UK we have Decathlon, which is excellent value for good kit. Don't know if they have made it out of europe.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It’s not so much the brand as the strategy. In general you need a thin base layer for rucking the moisture away from you skin. There are several synthetic fabrics engineered to do this well. Wool works for some people but can be itchy. Then you need an insulating layer or two. I favor a light fleece vest for one insulating layer. It helps your core warm without overheating. The thickness and type of insulation depends on his cold it is. Finally you need a water proof/wind proof layer. As mentioned REI is a reliable source. I also find good stuff at a discount at Sierra Trading Post.
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Number 1 thing to think about it NO COTTON coming into contact with your skin. Cotton will get wet and stay wet. I do a lot of winter time sports activities outside. I love fleece lined base layer leggings and shirt (just got some new brooks running leggings from REI and they are amazing!) I prefer merino(smart) wool socks, beanie, gloves and face cover, and invest in a nice lightweight weatherproof jacket (I use Columbia omni-tech). I find that having my ears and my face covered makes a huge difference in my comfort in the coldest of weather!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It’s not so much the brand as the strategy. In general you need a thin base layer for rucking the moisture away from you skin. There are several synthetic fabrics engineered to do this well. Wool works for some people but can be itchy. Then you need an insulating layer or two. I favor a light fleece vest for one insulating layer. It helps your core warm without overheating. The thickness and type of insulation depends on his cold it is. Finally you need a water proof/wind proof layer. As mentioned REI is a reliable source. I also find good stuff at a discount at Sierra Trading Post.

Steep and Cheap has good deals too.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Under armour also make some great base layers in their cold gear line.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I run and hike and snowshoe and cross country skii all winter. I am in Manitoba and have no issue going out on the -40C/F days. You want layers. Some thin to start, with heavier on top. Wind blocking outers.

I usually wear my most innermost layer of thin wool, then one or two heavier layers of wool or fleece on my upper body on top of that, then the wind blocking layer. Legs get wool long johns, then fleece lined tights over that for running and snow pants over top for moving slower like snowshoeing. Thin wool beanie with a heavy toque on top and always a scarf and a hood on one layer. Hands and feet also get two layers, preferably wool. This way when my body temp rises I can open/unzip/remove a layer but am still keeping the wind from touching my skin, you don’t really want to get super sweaty so do remove layers. But keep them with you, you don’t want to have the wind change direction or risk hypothermia or frostbite if you have to slow down your movement for any reason. You want to layer so you can be warm and dry!! I choose wool because it is wicking, I like under armour cold gear items, and I wear down sometimes too as it is lightweight. My inner gloves have one touch sensitive finger so I can adjust my music/podcast without bare hands. Have a pocket or a clip to attach items you have removed so they don’t get lost. I wear a backpack most of the time. I may only plan to be out for an hour but I keep an emergency blanket(foil) a thermos of hot water, and an energy bar with me. And always make sure someone knows my plan.

I may have described scenarios that are more extreme than you have planned but I am sure you can take away something. Layers, wind protection, planning. Enjoy!!