60 Pounds Down (272 to 212 at 5’5”) – 8 Years Ago I ran my First Half Marathon

Options
alisampm
alisampm Posts: 182 Member
I love MFP friends, so feel free to add me and we can support each other in the day-to-day!

The last time I was at this weight was 8 years ago. I was 32 years old and was picking up my tracker, number, and jersey for my first half-marathon. As I lined up at the starting line on race day, I was amazed at how surreal this all was. I always loved watching fitness documentaries, but never saw myself “in” them. It was aspirational, but never a reality. But then, the whistle blew and we were off. As I was a new runner, using a run/walk method, I often took walk breaks.

During one of those, another runner said just loud enough for me to hear, “I wish I could walk this.” It stung, but as I looked around, I realized I was ON the course. I wasn’t on the sidelines. I wasn’t in my bed. I was DOING a half marathon – no matter how slow.

I kept on running.

Long runs are a lot about stubbornness. Keeping going even though everything hurts and it telling you to stop. My body was carrying me, past hurt runners, on the sidelines. Past the observers and my cheering friends and family. My body was doing this.

More advanced runners began lapping me and a few stopped and chatted with me when they could have sailed by. We were the same at that moment.

As the finish line came into focus, I was surprised that I had done it. My previously weak *kitten* body had done it. I finished it, 13.1 miles, in 3 hours and 24 minutes, with an average pace of 15.36. My body was still moving, my heart was still beating, my lungs burned, my legs carried me home. I did it!

It was one of the best days of my life.
05k2cro9hdr6.jpg
if1mq6yuwxv0.jpg

And then I stopped.

My body hurt everywhere. I had done what I set out to do and I crossed that finish line. Stopped exercising, stopped, tracking. Stopped. And gained back to those 20 pounds I had just lost, plus 40 more for good measure. I think my downfall was that I saw a finish line. Because of course with our health, there ISN’T a finish line until we’re dead. And I am not dead yet.

So, in the past few months, I turned 40 and have got back on the journey of health and have lost those 60 pounds I gained after crossing the imaginary finish line.

Because, little did I know that on the day I ran the marathon, my daughter was 4 months old and was about to crawl into my life. Now I have new goals. I want to see my daughter grow up. I want to see some grandbabies. I want to be healthy, just “not sick.” I want to run more races.

And there is no finish line.

I love MFP friends, so feel free to add me and we can support each other in the day-to-day!

Current Pics!
6xgla2o0a16r.jpg

Starting Pics vs Current Pics!
a3el187yh2ut.jpg

Replies

• dascon
    dascon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well done and well written.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You did it, and you can do it again! Agreed, well written and inspiring. You say some very good things here.
  • jaxjayne
    jaxjayne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring post. I was struck with "It was aspirational, but never a reality." That's exactly my feeling about running. I can bike for 30 miles, but can't run much farther than 1.25 miles. You've made me realize, that if you can, I can. Thank you for the inspiration.
  • joone_9
    joone_9 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Good job. Thx for sharing!
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    "Because of course with our health, there ISN’T a finish line until we’re dead. And I am not dead yet."

Love this line!! Congratulations :):)
  • Chunky_Chick_Shrinks
    Options
    Loved this! "there is no finish line" EXACTLY we are constantly challenging ourselves and our direction just changes course.
    Be proud of yourself because you are awesome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!