Garmin compatible power meter

Options
Hello all. My spin bike measures my power output. My Garmin has a function to measure it also but I need to buy a meter. Any recommendations?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not clear to me if you are trying to get your Spin bike to link to your Garmin or if you are after an additional power meter to fit to your Spin bike but one that transmits/links to your Garmin watch or bike computer?
    Does your bike transmit data via ANT+ and/or Bluetooth?

Or are you after a power meter that could fit to an outdoor bike as well as the Spin bike?
    (e.g. PM pedals)

(I use an Favero Assioma Uno - went for a power meter pedal so I can transfer it between bikes. Very pleased with it, good connectivity, good battery life. My power is very symmetrical across both legs so didn’t need dual PM pedals.)

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I agree about pedals being an excellent choice. I use Vectors.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    How much are the Vectors? I heard they were pricey! Thank you.
  • sijomial
    Options
    HilTri wrote: »
    How much are the Vectors? I heard they were pricey! Thank you.

Yes power meters are expensive which leads me to a "caveat emptor" story.
    I originally ordered my PM from the cheapest online source but it turned out they were rip-off artists, all you got was far-fetched stories over a period of weeks and then months of why they couldn't complete the order but they wouldn't return your money because they promised it was arriving soon.....
    When I read the reviews they were full of the same stories. Buy from a reputable dealer, check the customer reviews and pay by credit card so you have an alternative way to get your money back.

Last time I looked the prices difference (where I live) between my Assioma PM and Vectors had flipped. Sure both will work well.

By the way....
    I thought I remembered your Spinning bike was a high end model?
    Are you sure it can't simply be paired to whatever model of Garmin watch or bike computer you are using just like presumably you paired your HRM?
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    On a spin bike, pedals are your only options. You probably have proprietary cranks, you don't have a rear wheel, you don't have a chain spider.

Faveros are the least expensive, 435 for the single side, 675 for dual. Garmin Vectors are $600 or 1000.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Vectors were $1k when I bought them, I told the shop I needed to go buy them at REI because I had a 20% off coupon, the guy said "we can match that."

I don't think there's a huge difference between pedal meters, I'd buy the Assioma or PT ones instead if I got a better deal on them. Any modern Garmin should work equally well with almost any PM.

Any petal meter should read slightly high compared to your spin bike. Pedals "see" what you put into the bike and don't know about any inefficiencies downstream. Spin bikes usually measure at the rear wheel, they "see" what gets to the road. You lose 1 to 2 % mostly in the chain. Your pedals should consistently be slightly higher than you're used to.

If it's for the spin bike, I'd be real curious why it doesn't already work and if there's anything you can do. (Does your phone talk to it?)
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes, my bike and phone talk to each other. I also use the icg app that comes with the bike/software. I am just, not varsity so using the one measure of power should be adequate.
  • sijomial
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes, my bike and phone talk to each other. I also use the icg app that comes with the bike/software. I am just, not varsity so using the one measure of power should be adequate.

I link my Wattbike's cadence, speed and power sensors to my Garmin, partly because it's a handy way to record my indoor and outdoor rides in one place but also partly becasue the Wattbike uses a bizarre calorie calculation despite an accurate power measurement.
    It's not that the Garmin is measuring my power, it's just connecting to a data source.

What with my phone controlling the bike, wireless headphones, HRM, Wattbike, WiFi and Internet there's data flying about everywhere!
  • NorthCascades
    Options

What Garmin do you have? And phone?

I'm guessing the bike sends the power data to your phone using Bluetooth. It's only the Garmin units from the last year or so that can do BT. But your phone might be able to broadcast that data using ANT+ as it comes in.