very low calorie diet crazies

Options
Ive been a 1200 calorie a day diet. It's been alittle over 2 months. Ive lost about 22 lbs. Yes im working with my Dr who i see everyweek. I have fibromyalgia and ive had bursitis in my left hip and plantar fasciitis in my right foot. Im having a hard time. I've been sticking to my diet and i mean im sticking with it. I find that the fact that i can't really walk around (something i really want to do) and not being able to go out to eat with family and friends is really takings its toll. Food and i are no longer friends. Is there anyone else out there that feels like they want to bite someone when they talk about KFC ? lol I glare at my boy friends pizza cheese...... i find calories make me grumpy. I keep the skirt i want to fit back into hanging on my bedroom door. My Goal is to fit into it and hope that "woohoo" feeling comes back. Till then i will fend of my 22 lb cat who seems to think my lunch is his. I don't think so i counted everyone of of thise cals. I don't care how cute you are...........Im looking for some low cal ideas, maybe some hope im not the only one who leaves the room when the food comes out. lol

Replies

• AlwaysSarah87
    Options
    Try looking up the place you want to go eat before hand. See the serving sizes and go from there. Usually they feed two people or servings so you can only eat half and watch your calories still. I do not think having ONE day every once in awhile will hurt. Enjoy it. Drink water when you go out. Don't hide from food or you will resent it. Good luck! :)
  • routerguy666
    Options
    You have to learn what you can eat at those places - certain dishes or only eating a portion of a 'regular' entree. That's making a lifestyle out of it. Otherwise it's just another ****ty diet, which you will hate, get sick of, and likely fall off of in a huge way out of frustration.
  • tigersmoondiva
    tigersmoondiva Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Miracle Noodles will save your life. They are this weird noodle with 0 cals and they actually EXPAND in your stomach. They make you really full. You have to rinse them really really well - and dry them REALLY well. They taste alright if you cook them in something (soy sauce) Do not make the mistake of thinking they taste like spaghetti though because you will be disappointed.
  • jacquerd
    jacquerd Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. Sounds rough. What types of food are you eating? Are they calorie dense? Like you can only have a little bit? What if you try other foods that have lots of taste and are filling and are low in calories? I find that the closer I eat to raw and unpackaged foods, the more I can eat and that give me a lot of variety. LOTS of summer salads, fruits and veggies. I also LOVE brown rice and any types of beans. They are high in fiber, filling, and relatively low in calroies. Hope this helps a bit.
  • heathurr
    heathurr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1400 a day and I still eat what I want, just plan it out. i'm also a newer vegetarian, so I'll eat some morning star chick'n nuggets but KFC mac and cheese side is only 160 for an individual side. ;) A lot of restaurants have their nutritional information listed online. Another friend of mine will get a larger entree and instantly have at least half of their meal put into a takeout container and have it for lunch and dinner. It is frustrating, but there are options. :) As for low cal options I go on food.com and search for weight watchers recipes!

Also, if you want, feel free to add me as a friend. :)
  • Mycci57
    Options
    Hey vittix, I'm Mycci (Mikey) I know exactly what you mean. I struggled with my weight for 40 years. I hated counting calories and not being able to go out to eat with friends or family. I got to the point where I hated food, especially when I couldn't stop putting something in my mouth that I shouldn't have. I too have fibromyalgia and gout and a few other problems but that is now. Before, I was diabetic, had high cholesterol and blood pressure, had asthma and irritable bowel, anxiety and depression just to name a few. Then when I hit 52 I figured if I could do it on my own I would have before now, so I had gastric bypass surgery. I'm not saying you should do that I'm just saying that's what I did. Now after having that experience where I could only eat 500 calories a day I would have done anything to be able to have that 1200 cals a day. Just trying to put it in a different perspective for you. If I could have done what you've done I wouldn't have had surgery to lose weight. Now, understand that I have lost 150 pounds in 18 months but if I could have just done what you're doing I wouldn't have had to do something that drastic. Hope you can keep up the good work, I know how hard it is. Believe me, it's worth it in the end when you can put that skirt back on and know that you accomplished it on your own! :happy: "woohoo!"
  • vittix
    vittix Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I keep my calorie kingbook on hand lol I also had a G bypass about 10 years ago, so no milk, eggs or red meats. Starch is hard. I keep snacks with me when i go out. Food and i have a love hate history. When people would say you eat your feeling, its so true. lol I eat alot of fiber and protien and veg. When i see food i run down how many calories and is it worth it. MFP is on my phone and it realllllly comes in handy. So have you guys :)
  • vittix
    Options
    Oh dear. Sounds rough. What types of food are you eating? Are they calorie dense? Like you can only have a little bit? What if you try other foods that have lots of taste and are filling and are low in calories? I find that the closer I eat to raw and unpackaged foods, the more I can eat and that give me a lot of variety. LOTS of summer salads, fruits and veggies. I also LOVE brown rice and any types of beans. They are high in fiber, filling, and relatively low in calroies. Hope this helps a bit.

Its so true a small bag of carrots is so much more filling then chip and sweets. Less cal and it takes forever to eat them :)
  • vittix
    Options
    Hey vittix, I'm Mycci (Mikey) I know exactly what you mean. I struggled with my weight for 40 years. I hated counting calories and not being able to go out to eat with friends or family. I got to the point where I hated food, especially when I couldn't stop putting something in my mouth that I shouldn't have. I too have fibromyalgia and gout and a few other problems but that is now. Before, I was diabetic, had high cholesterol and blood pressure, had asthma and irritable bowel, anxiety and depression just to name a few. Then when I hit 52 I figured if I could do it on my own I would have before now, so I had gastric bypass surgery. I'm not saying you should do that I'm just saying that's what I did. Now after having that experience where I could only eat 500 calories a day I would have done anything to be able to have that 1200 cals a day. Just trying to put it in a different perspective for you. If I could have done what you've done I wouldn't have had surgery to lose weight. Now, understand that I have lost 150 pounds in 18 months but if I could have just done what you're doing I wouldn't have had to do something that drastic. Hope you can keep up the good work, I know how hard it is. Believe me, it's worth it in the end when you can put that skirt back on and know that you accomplished it on your own! :happy: "woohoo!"

I had the same thing done 10 yrs ago and i would tell someone to have it done with out good reason. I was 24 and 367. Depression is nasty and i know for me its a lifelong road. But when i lost all that llbs i felt great.( wore that cute skirt) Body and mind. I realy wantto get back to that place again. With out killing anyone lol :) 150 lbs is AWSOME!!!!!
  • Mycci57
    Options
    Thanks, I really never thought I could lose that much but my biggest fear is putting weight back on. The problem I'm having now is that I wasn't eating enough and just got out of the hospital last night. Malnutrition is not fun! But you have to try to remember what it felt like to be at a good weight and maybe that will help motivate you a little. I don't know what it feels like to be 10 years out because its only been 18 months. I do have some tricks that I use. When I go out to eat with my kids I just ask for an empty plate and I eat some of their food. At least they're willing to share! lol Sometimes if I have to eat something that I shouldn't I will take 1 or 2 bites and then that's enough to stop that craving without adding on the calories. Hope all the suggestions you get help you get through it.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    1200 is hard and doing it for long stretches is hard. If you have control and can stop you could do a bite of the pizza and other things. I frequently don't eat when we go out if I don't have the calories for it and there isn't anything low cal on the menu that I would like to have. I had to laugh when you said you told your cat no. I have to tell everyone in my house no, 2 chihuahuas, a great dane, 2 cats, my husband and my 12 year old son. They come strolling up and say "can I try that?" (obviously not the pets, lol) and I tell them " I have counted every calorie on this plate, it's mine and it's all I get to eat. back off". try to find things that work with your calorie count and are satisfying both in taste and filling you up. You will just have to experiment.
  • Rebekah2918
    Rebekah2918 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am 2 weeks in to 1200 cals a day and the crazies are def a reality. The plus side is I am motivated to exercise so I can eat something...is that healthy??
  • scottlikescake
    Options
    I've been on 1200 for 4 months now and to be honest I haven't really found it difficult, there's only been 2 occasions when I have gone over my allowance substantially at two birthday parties. At the start it was difficult as I went straight from eating what I liked and when I liked probably about 3500+ calories a day to 1200 but now my body has gotten used to eating this amount I sometimes struggle to even eat that much! I think my stomach has shrunk. It's not a 'diet' at all I'm changing my eating habits for life as I don't want to regain lost weight.
  • vittix
    Options
    1200 is hard and doing it for long stretches is hard. If you have control and can stop you could do a bite of the pizza and other things. I frequently don't eat when we go out if I don't have the calories for it and there isn't anything low cal on the menu that I would like to have. I had to laugh when you said you told your cat no. I have to tell everyone in my house no, 2 chihuahuas, a great dane, 2 cats, my husband and my 12 year old son. They come strolling up and say "can I try that?" (obviously not the pets, lol) and I tell them " I have counted every calorie on this plate, it's mine and it's all I get to eat. back off". try to find things that work with your calorie count and are satisfying both in taste and filling you up. You will just have to experiment.

Lol we have 4 cats and a rabbits and we had to put the rabbit on a diet. When ever you walk by she's got that big eyed I'm so cute give me something. Some days I feel. The same way lol the smell of popcorn @ the movies. I share my green veggies with her :) dinner out has lost its flare. There's 1 dish I can order @ applebees. I guess that's not such a bad thing for now. I've stuck to 1200 for 65 days and counting.
  • vittix
    Options
    Thanks, I really never thought I could lose that much but my biggest fear is putting weight back on. The problem I'm having now is that I wasn't eating enough and just got out of the hospital last night. Malnutrition is not fun! But you have to try to remember what it felt like to be at a good weight and maybe that will help motivate you a little. I don't know what it feels like to be 10 years out because its only been 18 months. I do have some tricks that I use. When I go out to eat with my kids I just ask for an empty plate and I eat some of their food. At least they're willing to share! lol Sometimes if I have to eat something that I shouldn't I will take 1 or 2 bites and then that's enough to stop that craving without adding on the calories. Hope alll the suggestions you get help you get through it.
    Oh no I hope your all rite. My sister had that same, prob. I gained 1/3 of my weight back. Meds played a part in it and falling back to eatting "my feelings" eatting foods that didn't fill you up or over eatting and I'm sure if you have ovate or "dumped" you know it can be painfull. I grew up in a food is love home. Its hard to break the habit. I'm on my way back to finding that place where food is fuel.
  • vittix
    Options
    I've been on 1200 for 4 months now and to be honest I haven't really found it difficult, there's only been 2 occasions when I have gone over my allowance substantially at two birthday parties. At the start it was difficult as I went straight from eating what I liked and when I liked probably about 3500+ calories a day to 1200 but now my body has gotten used to eating this amount I sometimes struggle to even eat that much! I think my stomach has shrunk. It's not a 'diet' at all I'm changing my eating habits for life as I don't want to regain lost weight.
    The 1st month was very hard. Im planing my meals and keeping snack with me. Even got the family to eat better. I'm trying to brake those old habits. I to find I have 300 cals to get in at. The end of the day. Somedays I feel like I have calorie OCD. Drives my 14 year old nuts lol "calories king kido" :)
  • vittix
    Options
    I am 2 weeks in to 1200 cals a day and the crazies are def a reality. The plus side is I am motivated to exercise so I can eat something...is that healthy??
    I word be doing the same thing if I could :) as long as you get your 1200. You don't lose as much if you eat under 1200. I got that tidbit from my Dr. Keep up the good work.