Getting food poisoning from takeaways

Options
So for the past couple of weeks (around 5-ish) I have been eating pretty clean. Weighing everything, cooking myself, no takeaways.

Recently, I have had takeaways twice. Once last week and once yesterday, from two different places (my go to places) First off, I didn't enjoy them as much as I used to and both of the times I got food poisoning.

Does this usually happen? The food poisoning is also making me have no appetite and I am struggling to eat today.

Replies

• FutureFit2020
    FutureFit2020 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't say so! You could feel sick because you aren't used to the grease, but do you actually mean food poisoning? Because that's not normal and I'd think you have had really bad luck or maybe some places are using old food because they're not selling as much (due to covid?). Rice can be really dangerous if eaten after being at room temp for a while.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Yes it can happen. There is always a risk of someone not washing their hands when preparing food or contaminated meat or produce being used in your food. I have caught food poisoning a few times when I was younger, Shigella and E. Coli, and it was horrible. I rarely eat fast food anymore but I have caught this from “nice” restaurants too. Be careful.
  • shirazum2023
    shirazum2023 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @nooshi713 E coli is a kitten. I have been bedridden for months when I was young from it. I still get UTI's quite often. Never knew you can get E coli from food though. Thank you. So many things to learn.

@FutureFit2020 I had a messy burger the last time which was quite greasy but I used to really like it. This time I got hainanese chicken rice. So that also says something. I got diarrhea and stomach cramp. Pretty bad.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    If you just had to go to the toilet once then food poisoning seems unlikely and I would guess that you weren't used to the food anymore to be honest. Maybe the rice was cooked with oil, maybe something else.
  • shirazum2023
    shirazum2023 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @yirara unfortunately thrice already and the stomach cramp. Ugh!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Yes it can happen. There is always a risk of someone not washing their hands when preparing food or contaminated meat or produce being used in your food. I have caught food poisoning a few times when I was younger, Shigella and E. Coli, and it was horrible. I rarely eat fast food anymore but I have caught this from “nice” restaurants too. Be careful.

I mean while it isn’t impossible, it’s highly unlikely that you would get it twice in such a short time span. I think it’s more likely that the excess fat/grease may have made you ill
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You don't get food poisoning just from eating something you're not used to. Food poisoning is and actual illness caused by contaminated food...even if you ate it everyday, if it was contaminated you would get sick. It has nothing to do with "eating clean" and then having take away...if it's contaminated, it's contaminated. "Clean" foods get contaminated all of the time too...some of the biggest outbreaks of food poisoning are related to contaminated produce.

Both those cases I was in the hospital because it was so bad. They took stool samples and found the bacteria. Food poisoning is not caused by greasy food. One time, my whole family and I ate at a seemingly nice Indian restaurant but only I got sick, and I was the only one who ate the salad.

Another time it was from the grocery store deli where I ate a chicken item that seemed undercooked. I have probably had it other times too but didn’t get stool studies done then.

A few years ago I got sick at a company Christmas party along with several others who all had the same symptoms. I’m quite sure I had it then too. I think I have had a bit of bad luck when it comes to that.

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    No one is saying greasy food causes food poisoning. We are saying if you never eat greasy food and then eat it, you can potentially get some symptoms similar to food poisoning but milder such as stomach pains and diarrhea. Those of us saying the greasy food could have caused the symptoms are simply speculating that the OP did not indeed have food poisoning.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I'm also wondering if OP has been losing weight fast (or has been heavy for quite a while); and if so, whether she's possibly experiencing some kind of gallbladder issue. Low probability compared to general "unaccustomed to fatty foods" or food poisoning explanations, but maybe possible.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    No one is saying greasy food causes food poisoning. We are saying if you never eat greasy food and then eat it, you can potentially get some symptoms similar to food poisoning but milder such as stomach pains and diarrhea. Those of us saying the greasy food could have caused the symptoms are simply speculating that the OP did not indeed have food poisoning.

I think we're all saying the same thing...I think the OP thinks that feeling unwell after eating something greasy that you are not accustomed to is food poisoning...

I think we're all just telling the OP that it's highly unlikely to be food poisoning.

I haven't eaten McDonalds in about 4 years...was out with the kids last weekend doing some stuff and they were hungry so we went through the drive through...I decided I would eat to because we weren't going to get home for another few hours. Not food poisoning, bit it definitely did not treat me right.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    It could also be that under the pressure of current events both restaurants are struggling to keep ingredients fresh and the kitchens staffed. In such a situation it's easy to imagine quality and even food safety being impacted. Feel better soon, OP!