Eating enough calories????

Options
I have a few medical coniditions and I just am never hungry. According to MFP my calorie goal is 2330 a day but since I've been on this site I havn't even been able to hit the minimun of 1200 calories a day. I've upped my intake from 500 to around 800-1000 but it's still not enough is it? I love food and I'm trying to eat more but it's as if my body can't hold any more food.

What's a good way to get more "good" calories in per day and what is it doing to my body since I've been way under 1200 calories a day for 6+ months now??

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Olive oil
    peanut butter
    nuts
    cheese.

Good luck
  • routerguy666
    Options
    Can't see your diary. Crystal ball not operational either.
  • Bre0223
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Wilshinault
    Wilshinault Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    eat more foods that are calorie dense. something that has a smaller portion but higher calories
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Olive oil
    peanut butter
    nuts
    cheese.

Good luck

DITTO!

Beans
    Eggs
    Avacados
  • papergogetter
    Options
    organic coconut oil too
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Olive oil
    peanut butter
    nuts
    cheese.

Good luck

DITTO!

Beans
    Eggs
    Avacados

Protein shakes are good too!!!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I have a few medical coniditions and I just am never hungry. According to MFP my calorie goal is 2330 a day but since I've been on this site I havn't even been able to hit the minimun of 1200 calories a day. I've upped my intake from 500 to around 800-1000 but it's still not enough is it? I love food and I'm trying to eat more but it's as if my body can't hold any more food.

What's a good way to get more "good" calories in per day and what is it doing to my body since I've been way under 1200 calories a day for 6+ months now??

i have a hard time staying at 500 for breakfast much less all day...........
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    My dinner last night:
    Body fortress vanilla protein powder (1 scoop)
    1/2 cup friendlies cherry vanilla ice cream
    cup frozen strawberries
    1/2 cup 2% milk

Makes a nice big glass..........and tasty as hell

352 calories.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Instead of thinking about having 3 full 400 calories meals, break your calories into small meals throughout the day. 6 small 200 calorie meals every couple of hours or 4 medium sized meals for 300 calories.

If you are eating any low-cal or diet versions of foods, switch to the regular kind. Example, if you drink skim milk, switch to 2%. If you eat 100 calorie Chips Ahoy wafer cookies, just eat a couple of the real thing.

At this point, I would be more concerned with just getting enough calories and less concerned with the quality of those calories. If you have pasta, eat the white kind rather than wheat. Get alfredo sauce instead of a tomato sauce. Go ahead and put cheese on your burger. Get fries instead of a salad. I will advocate not drinking your calories in the form of like soda. It's a waste.

Once you get used to eating and fueling your body, then you can worry about switching to "better" choices. But honestly, anything is better than nothing.

You might try drinking water more often. If you are chronically malnourished, which I'm going to assume is the case here, then chances are pretty good that you are dehydrated as well. Try to work in water throughout the day. Have a glass with each of your mini-meals.

If you're not at risk for purging, then I would honestly say to eat even if you're not hungry. You don't have to force yourself to eat 1200 calories tomorrow if you're used to eating 500. But really make yourself eat more and more every week. You may not WANT food, but you NEED.

I wish you the best of luck. It's tough, but you're worth the effort it takes to be healthy.
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    Avocados
    Raw, natural almonds
    Whole eggs
    Yoghurt
  • johovey
    Options
    I am having a similar issue - I am on medications that suppress my appetite and for months I was eating once a day. My doctor is making me eat 5 times (small meals) a day now. I go for foods that are nutrition dense as well because I have some issues with not getting enough vitamins, etc...

So the advice about eating small meals during the day - also known as grazing - is actually pretty helpful if you can do it. I tend to feel more full (and it is harder to eat). It is hard to eat when you just don't feel like eating. But cheese or nuts is good. You don't need a lot to get calories and nutrition. Go for protein when you can, lots of nutrition, lots of calories and it will build the muscle you need. Tahini or peanut butter or similar things on fruit are also good.

Try to drink milk if you just can't face eating. That will get calories in you. Also if you make your own protein shakes (or buy them) that will help as well.

I wish you well - and know that there are others that have similar issues to yours. :)