CPAP

Options
Hope_bay74
Hope_bay74 Posts: 273 Member
Hi all,

New to the world of CPAP (since July). Was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. It has definitely helped me with my day time energy and brain fog. My goal is to drop 40-50 lbs in hopes of not needing it the rest of my life.

Still getting use to it. Some good nights but mostly have to take it off after 5 hours.

Love to have some CPAP-er friends on this journey.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,051 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a long term CPAP user (like 17-18 years, and 3-4 gernations of technology), but I'm kind of a terrible MFP friend on the friend feed side of things, and not really losing weight actively at this point (maintaining a healthy weight, 5 years now). Back in 2015-16, I lost about the amount of weight you're targeting now.

If you have any questions about practicalities of CPAP usage or sleep apnea, I'd be happy to offer any thoughts, though.

The one thing I'd say is that many people find weight loss cures their sleep apnea. For me, it didn't (even at 5'5" 120-some pounds), though it did improve it somewhat. I hope you'll have a complete reversal.

Welcome to MFP, and best wishes achieving your weight managemnt goals!
  • Hope_bay74
    Hope_bay74 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info. So far so good with it. Just ordered the heated tub as I was getting some condensation in my nose mask which was driving me crazy. Hoping it solves it.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Hope_bay74 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the info. So far so good with it. Just ordered the heated tub as I was getting some condensation in my nose mask which was driving me crazy. Hoping it solves it.

It should help. So might experimenting with the heat settings on your CPAP's humidifier, if it has that option. I find it helpful to change the settings on my seasonally, as the typical house temperature changes.
  • Z10Rtza
    Z10Rtza Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am for my second time with a CPAP. They gave me one 10 years ago, but after a massive weight loss they told me I didn't needed anymore.
    Almost all the kilos came back and with them a new CPAP. This time is much more modern and everything but I feel pain in my lungs whenever I walk a bit far. I didn't have that before. Is it normal?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Z10Rtza wrote: »
    Hi. I am for my second time with a CPAP. They gave me one 10 years ago, but after a massive weight loss they told me I didn't needed anymore.
    Almost all the kilos came back and with them a new CPAP. This time is much more modern and everything but I feel pain in my lungs whenever I walk a bit far. I didn't have that before. Is it normal?

I don't think so. In nearly 20 years of using a CPAP, I've never had that. It would be a good idea to discuss it with your doctor. Hoping it can be relieved easily!
  • mzbecky01
    mzbecky01 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi. I'd love new friends. I don't know how to send a request though. I have severe sleep apnea, but struggle using a CPAP. I finally found a mask I can live with but I get such bad sinus issues with it. I'm hoping to lose enough weight to not need it but I know that's a long road.
  • kittensden72
    kittensden72 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hope_bay74 - Hi. I have used a C-pap for roughly 5-6 years. It does get easier to use after a while. I had extreme sleep apnea. I was waking up 147 times an hour! I'm currently at an average of 3.5 episodes per night which is a vast improvement. Plus my oxygen levels went from 50% - 98%!
    Anyway, I too have the goal of losing this weight and finally getting off of this confounded contraption! So, I wish you well and am rooting for you! <3
  • kittensden72
    kittensden72 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hope_bay74 - Hi. I have used a C-pap for roughly 5-6 years. It does get easier to use after a while. I had extreme sleep apnea. I was waking up 147 times an hour! I'm currently at an average of 3.5 episodes per night which is a vast improvement. Plus my oxygen levels went from 50% - 98%!
    Anyway, I too have the goal of losing this weight and finally getting off of this confounded contraption! So, I wish you well and am rooting for you! <3