Weight loss problems

Options
I’ve tried almost every diet possible, intermittent fasting, I tried being vegan, keto, but nothing working. I used to have 1,500 calls a day but now I’ve lowered that and I’ve seen no changes. I barely eat and junk food, I don’t know what to do please HELP!!!!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to weigh your food?
  • eoklin
    eoklin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I don’t have one, so no I don’t.
  • Chris_J99
    Chris_J99 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The secret lies in weighing every single thing. Then you can see your daily calorie intake.
  • bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I recommend what I am doing it works for me it should work for you too. If you have experience doing intermittent fasting try to extend it a 36-48 hour fasting-once a week- combined with intermittent fasting for the rest of the week. So for example from Tuesday to Sunday skip your breakfast your first meal at 4pm last meal at 8pm, monday fasting, break your fast on Tuesday at 4pm with a decent meal. When you do eat stick to a strict keto diet, no bread, pasta, rice, potato. You need to minimise your carbo intake, eat lots of fat, protein, veggies, this should lower your insulin level hence stop your craving for food and kickstart fat burning. I suggest dark chocolate for emergencies, 70-85 % and apples. Fasting is tough, you can make it easier by having decaf cafe couple of times during with lots of cream preferably double cream in it. This will put fat in your body and fill you. Also during fasting drink lots of water and at least twice two cups of water with apple cider, this will bring down your insulin level your hunger will go down. Forget counting calories, irrelevant, focus on what you eat. My advice in a nutshell, this might not work for everyone it works for me and my partner should work for you too. Good luck.
  • XLNC1981
    XLNC1981 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Like other posters may have alluded, it’s a maths game!! Get a scale, embrace the counting. You actually realise how much extra you have been consuming - an eye opener!

Unless there’s a medical condition stalling your process, if you put less in the weight will/has to come off.

But the process has to be sustainable otherwise you won’t stick at it.

Once you get results, you are well on your way!

Peace
  • bubus05
    Options
    Probably not a very popular opinion on this site but IMHO calorie counting is a waste of time one can do it if there is nothing better to do but adjusting diet to a fixed number of calorie intake will only lead to frustration long term. You decrease your daily calories you will lose some weight-sounds great- but your body will also adjust your metabolism will slow down as well, chances are you not only regain what you lost but will put on extra. This 'math' that my body burns x calories a day therefore I have to go below x calories a day intake is wrong. Your body doesn't care about math as you have probably already seen it.
  • bubus05
    Options
    XLNC1981 wrote: »
    No disrespect to bubus but I think his opinion lies in tatters! You actually raise a valid point however, when does the counting end? Slightly distrust myself to stop and if I do, weigh in weekly and have an alarm bell weight. I have predominantly been in a deficit for over a year and my body is now struggling with it to be honest.

I digress, the counting and deficit is taxing but it works.
    Ehh no hard feelings, I only wrote my experiences on the subject. The fact is for me a 49 year old male counting calories never really worked, and I did try. Then I stopped counting 6 months ago started to focus on the quality of my food instead of how many calories I ate and bumm 60 lbs gone. So I guess what doesn't work for me might well work for others, age could be a factor here too. No further argument from me on the subject, peace:)))
  • XLNC1981
    XLNC1981 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no argument and no offence intended. Anybody starting out on weight loss ultimately has to make their own informed choices! Well done on the 60lbs btw. Take care
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bubus05 wrote: »
    I recommend what I am doing it works for me it should work for you too. If you have experience doing intermittent fasting try to extend it a 36-48 hour fasting-once a week- combined with intermittent fasting for the rest of the week.

Oh my!

I 'fast' three days a week, limiting my intake to 600 calories and while I am used to it now and cope quite well as I have a routine I cannot imagine doing it on consecutive days.

I cope fasting today because tomorrow I know I can eat well.

Each to their own I guess, what works for you, but.... wow..... tough!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    OP a food scale can be purchased for sub $20 at any Walmart or target.

You tried a bunch of fad diets that actually all work the same: eating in a deficit. The problem is, you weren’t eating in a deficit because you don’t have a food scale to properly track what you eat.

Get a food scale. Weigh what you normally consider one portion. It will be eye opening, I promise!
  • Maggiesanvicto
    Maggiesanvicto Posts: 70 Member
    Options

💯 I would get close to the event I was trying to lose weight for and realize I only had two weeks and would never make my goal.... so I would just give up....stop tracking and tell myself I’ll try again after Christmas/vacation/party etc.
    uote="freda78;c-45489980"]
    I didn’t start losing weight until I stopped associating a time line to my goal.

I think that is where some people go wrong, the "I want to lose 35 pounds by Christmas" method.

In my humble opinion it should stop at "I want to lose 35 pounds" and then it takes as long as it takes without the unnecessary self imposed pressure that can lead to an over-restriction and binging cycle that can even lead to weight gain.

[/quote]