Social eating and drinking with husband and friends...

Options
I am weak. My social life as an adult has been with a bunch of athletic sailors who race big yachts and drink lots of beer and rum and still manage to look and feel great. I am not that person.
I am semi- athletic and can hold my own on the boat but when it comes to the regatta party or the crew party I just lose control. I feel as I'f I can eat and drink whatever I want... As if I was one of them.
I will not get to where I want to be living this way and need to stop...but it feels like I am dropping out of my life and my social circle... sigh
I guess I don't have any questions...just needed to vent.

Replies

• tritta01
    Options
    Just limit yourself a few drinks and you will do fine... do you come to MN for the regatta?
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    we're twins...ive been stalled for four months...cause of the wine (says she while holding a glass of red wine in her right hand)

it's okay sweets...we'll figure it out somehow...
  • g8rlex
    g8rlex Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    you can do it, you just have to make the conscious decision. I still go drinking but not as often. When I do, I make smarter drink choices... like a vodka tonic v. vodka cranberry. Juice = even more calories... Plus I find if the drink is less tasty then I find I nurse it more and consume less alcohol in general.
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The way I do this stuff is, I go and eat a little with the people in the room or area with the food, talk hang out, then get the heck out. There's always someone who isnt in where the food is, go talk to them and dont go bck in because you will eat, I do. So I eat a little and talk with them then go talk to the ones who are away from the food. Good Luck BE STRONG :)
  • Biglovelovesme
    Biglovelovesme Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    U r my buddy.. Thanks for sending your thoughts..can't tell u how much it helps to know someone out ther hears me and understands.:heart:
  • Biglovelovesme
    Options
    Such good.. Logical and solid advice. Hearing from people who "get it" and don't chastise me for being weak helps so so much.
  • Biglovelovesme
    Options
    Xoxox:drinker:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'd probably drop 20 lbs giving up beer and wine *L* :drinker:

Keep the faith :)
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    And me too... its my last vice and I workout sometimes a little harder so I can have a drink... so ya I know I need to limit it but... ya thats why Im here:) WE can do it!!! cheers!
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    I'd probably drop 20 lbs giving up beer and wine *L* :drinker:

Keep the faith :)

LOL i say id be at the 40 lbs lost mark by now if it werent for drinking! *sigh*
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I can hold my liquor...in more ways than one!
  • moreaudrey
    moreaudrey Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Of COURSE I get it - I *LOVE* red wine. I *LOVE* food. I *LOVE* socializing. All of these factors have helped me acquire 25 lbs of extra weight! LOL!

The advice about not standing around by the food is good. Another thing that is helpful is the "20 minute promise" technique. Go in with a plan: "I'm going to have a glass of water, then a small portion of food, then one drink, then another glass of water". If you catch yourself going for another refill of food or alcohol, tell yourself..."if I still want it in 20 minutes, I can have it". It's not deprivation, it's giving your body a chance to catch up with itself. I guarantee that at least SOME of the time, you won't touch anything else, or else you'll have less than you would originally have taken.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    we're twins...ive been stalled for four months...cause of the wine (says she while holding a glass of red wine in her right hand)

it's okay sweets...we'll figure it out somehow...
    ya twins are HIGHLY overrated ( inside joke I AM one and hate the B**ch) BUT I am in the same boat!! Its damn hard being a woman! lol...This site rocks for support!! I <3 all my MFP friends!!
  • Biglovelovesme
    Options
    But you are at twenty and that is damn spankin' good
  • Nikkiham520
    Nikkiham520 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Life is meant to be enjoyed.....and I just don't enjoy it as much sober. ;) Enjoy your weekends!
  • sharonus
    Options
    I love sparkling water. So if I were at an event like that, I'd grab a glass of it with a slice of lime and carry that around. No calories, and I feel less compelled to graze when I have something in my hands. Of course, if I had the calories, I'd definitely have a beer first! :)