Just Say No....To Bad Choices

Options
With the weekend and holidays coming up, there are a bunch of bad choices and influences and pressure to eat junk and my lame self has such a hard time saying no to tasty things, especially when it is offered by family. So, my question is do you have any advice to stay on track and tell people no? For me, I tend to over indulge when I say yes.

Replies

• JAC581
    JAC581 Posts: 91 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    With Thanksgiving coming up, I'm allowing myself one portion of each of my two favorites, sweet potato casserole and pecan pie. That way I can indulge a little without going overboard. I only get to have each of those once a year and I don't want to miss out on them completely. I think setting a limit beforehand may be helpful in preventing overindulgence.
  • SharpWellbeing
    SharpWellbeing Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Tasty doesn't have to be unhealthy :) Planning definitely helps. Making a calorie allowance for treats on a weekend is another strategy.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @Dogmom1978 <3

@leekatelynne0659 Do you know how many people are maintaining their weight loss at the 2 year mark. At the 5 year mark the percentages are even smaller. There's the Honeymoon Phase of weight loss where everything is going your way. That's often followed by the rebound weight gain with friends phase when everything is conducted so brutally strict right out of the chute taking it right UP to the very day when you start eating it all back on autopilot by remote control.

You don't even know how that happens but the brain doesn't stop you one single time during the eating it all back cycle. Your brain allows you eat it all back until you've reached the highest weight you've ever been and then some.

Rebound weight gain with friends.

Perfectionism is the driver behind the All or Nothing approach to food. It will drive, drive, drive until your body says I've had enough of perfectionism. Then comes the eating it all back phase followed by I'm back, I'm back.
    I've ate it all back and I'm starting over and over and over again because Life Happens.

I know the backroads of this forum. I'm familiar with the members who've been maintaining for a very long time.
    Some of them have learned some really tough lessons the hard way. They're not willing to give up all of their hard earned progress by falling right back into the same old habits that brought them here in the first place.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I don't care about either to be honest. Thanksgiving is not a thing here, and Christmas is useless if you live alone. To be honest, I usually prefer to work over Christmas, but as I still have 14 full vacation days left and can normally only bring 5 over to the next year I need to find time to take more days off, probably between Christmas and new year then *sigh* /grumpyOldGit
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Think of what is going to make you happier in January, not gaining holiday weight or the faint memory of very temporary joy from overindulging.

Best of luck.

^^^^^
    This is why I get along with you. I think we have to take a long look at ourselves. Is it worth it? Indulge some, but pick an indulgence that is worth it and leave the others alone. There will be more holidays.
  • globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Because of life events, I don’t believe in eating at maintenance. There is always an occasion around the coroner. So might as well bank calories daily and look at the weight/body fat gain loss at a weekly monthly or quarterly basis. Thanksgiving is 2 weeks away. Save 100-150 per day and you can enjoy thanksgiving. Day after thanksgiving start saving again and you can have a nice Christmas and new year. After new year. Maybe there are birthdays or valentines or vacation. Point is just like money. Save money and calories for your vacation.

And don’t weight your self after thanksgiving. Wait 1 or 2 weeks. No need to panic the day after. Just stick to your routine.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Think of what is going to make you happier in January, not gaining holiday weight or the faint memory of very temporary joy from overindulging.

Best of luck.

^^^^^
    This is why I get along with you. I think we have to take a long look at ourselves. Is it worth it? Indulge some, but pick an indulgence that is worth it and leave the others alone. There will be more holidays.

Yep gotta look at the big picture. Eat grandma's pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, heck eat 2 pieces, you'll be fine, it's one day. Get into the crappy store bought candy, cookies, etc. that show up at work from Halloween until New Years daily, probably going to have an issue.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I’ve never had an issue with anyone pushing me to eat something when I’ve declined. I’ll admit, it’s tempting at times, but, I’ll still choose what, when, and how much I have to eat. It’s all on me, no one else. Personal choices. That’s what weight loss, and maintaining a healthy weight is about.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @missysippy930 No one has to live in our body. It's about the only thing that really does belong to us. There's only choices and consequences.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    With the weekend and holidays coming up, there are a bunch of bad choices and influences and pressure to eat junk and my lame self has such a hard time saying no to tasty things, especially when it is offered by family. So, my question is do you have any advice to stay on track and tell people no? For me, I tend to over indulge when I say yes.

What will good choices accomplish for you in time?

What will bad choices DO to you in time?

However, part of managing yourself through the process and life is knowing when to take your foot off the gas. I do this on holidays and vacations. I do not consider them bad choices. I consider them effective management.