Worried about excess skin

Options
First some background is necessary for me to ask my question. I'm 23 and I've always been considered stocky and overweight. However, my stomach was never bad and I never had stretch marks anywhere on my stomach, just basic stretch marks from growing up (thighs, etc). I lost about 30 pounds when I was a senior in high school and weighed 150, my lowest adult weight. Being on the short side that seems like still a lot to weigh, but I'm very stocky as I said, and my stomach was flat, my thighs were toned, and I looked overall good. Depression got the best of me a couple years after I graduated and I ended up weighing 230 at my highest weight. I somehow managed to lose 15lbs randomly about 2 years ago and had been steadily around 215 since. I recently started cornerstone meal replacements and have lost 10lbs in 11 days (yay!) but I do find myself worried about excess skin after all is said and done. I recently read that stretch marks are a good indicator of whether you'll have excess skin after substantial weight loss, and sadly my weight gain did catch up to my once-flat-stomach and I now have stretch marks. I'm hoping my age and natural body build will help in preventing too much excess skin, but I'm a little concerned about it. Anybody with more knowledge on the subject care to weigh in and help me out?

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Worrying won't fix it. We're living in a time when we can't worry about the what ifs. It's going to sap your physical and emotional strength. Don't go there.

You're young. You're resilient. Your skin's elasticity will bounce back into place. This cornerstone meal replacement program that you're conducting, how many calories are you eating each day. Is this a dropping it like it's hot program.

https://cornerstonewellnessmd.com/nutrition/
  • Noodlesprout
    Noodlesprout Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Depends on you as an individual. I lost 90 lb and had no excess skin but I’m 6”1 and was 25 at the time
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    As @ninerbuff points out do not fall for anything that sells as a cure. Do take care of your skin as you would normally though. Lotion, stay hydrated, etc.

Also remember that your skin requires nutrition and energy to maintain health so lose at the proper speed.

9fxy77rb6evm.png

The best thing you can do for your skin and your health (perhaps future health) is to get the excess weight off sooner instead of later.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    You can lose slowly..so your skin has a better chance of bouncing back. Moisturize too. You are young..and you have that on your side. But, losing fast..is what makes it worse.
  • ashleigh2747
    ashleigh2747 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Worrying won't fix it. We're living in a time when we can't worry about the what ifs. It's going to sap your physical and emotional strength. Don't go there.

You're young. You're resilient. Your skin's elasticity will bounce back into place. This cornerstone meal replacement program that you're conducting, how many calories are you eating each day. Is this a dropping it like it's hot program.

I'm doing the 1200 calories a day plan. I've lost 14lbs so far since October 15th.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

I'm doing the 1200 calories a day plan. I've lost 14lbs so far since October 15th.

Are you doing 1200 calories because MFP gave you that number or because 1200 is very popular?

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Certainly some of what you have lost is water weight so keep an eye on it from this point forward to make sure you do not lose too fast.
  • ashleigh2747
    Options
    My doctor prescribed it and told me the meal plan to follow.
  • ashleigh2747
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Are you doing 1200 calories because MFP gave you that number or because 1200 is very popular?

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Certainly some of what you have lost is water weight so keep an eye on it from this point forward to make sure you do not lose too fast.

My doctor prescribed it.
  • brendog79
    brendog79 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've lost 102 lbs now 280 from 382lbs. Ive just started noticing it at the 90 lb loss. If you have less than this to lose you should be fine. Im also 41 and have been over 300 for 9 yrs. I used to be around 206 15 yrs ago.
  • 142jmh
    142jmh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My experience: I lost over 100lbs between ages 17 and 20, and I had no loose skin (even though I had stretch marks). But, I was young, and lost it over time (20 pounds here, 30 pounds there). Unfortunately, life gave me a couple twists and by 25 I started putting it all back on and more (20 pounds here, 30 pounds there). Now at 31, I've lost over 50 pounds from my highest. I might have a little loose skin when I'm done, but oh well. I'm doing things in a lot better way now then I did last time, so all I can do is move forward.

I agree with what others have said about not falling for "miracle cures". I also think you should treat your skin well. I live in a very, very dry place. Even being careful with what I put in my body, and what I put on it, my hands (and literally the hands of everyone around me) will still crack and bleed during winter.

Obligatory mention: Sometimes when people loose weight and they don't look they imagined, its not because of excess skin but a lack of toning, which is where exercise (and specifically strength training) comes in. If you already have some kind of exercise / wellness routine: keep it up! If you don't, it may be something to think about starting.

Best of luck on your continuing journey!